Computer Chips & Tuners  

needing help with performance chip's

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 05:14 PM
95F-150EddieBauer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
needing help with performance chip's

I was interested in purchasing A jet performance chip for my 95 f 150 the 5.0 liter and I was wondering if these chips actually work

Old 08-12-2013, 11:26 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
This is an excellent doc by Ford engineers...............http://www.fordracingparts.com/downl...ceTechTips.pdf on just exactly how “tuners” play games with the hp/tq ratings, how calibration can cause misleading dyno results, & some of the “tricks” that are used to gain supposed power increases when in fact, mis-managing your engine….. The other item to be aware of is "mail order tuners' are not regulated like any other auto repair shop in the US...so if they "damage" your car...gee, sorry...sue me!
This is a post which IMHO, brings to the forefront one of the issues in the aftermarket industry....judge for yourself the validity...

March 2004
JET ECU Testing Results - Club RSX Message Board
JET ECU Testing Results
After a lot of debate between the members here, I finally have the results on if JET has or has not modified the ECU. To make it perfectly clear, I am only posting these results for wackypack (the owner of the ECU) and Hondata (who wanted the test done) as an unbiased 3rd party that wants to know if it does anything or not.

What I did was use an OBDII scan tool to bring up the calibration id and the CVN on the JET ECU. I did this test twice several hours apart to verify that information doesn't change. The stock ECU was plugged in during that time period. I have attached the pictures to show the ECU plugged in and the scan tool reading the ECU. I have also attached the calibration id table for all stock Acura RSX base model ECU's. If you take a look at the zip file you will see the document inside of there. That document was lasted edited on February 23rd, which is before I got the ECU yesterday. The reason this is important is because if you look at the calibration id table and the CVN number they match. This means that the ECU has not been modified in any way. Anytime you make a change to the ECU, that CVN number will change. I am going to test this more when I get back from the Hondata seminar this weekend but after all of my research, this does seem to be the case each and every time.

I will let you guys debate this for now. I will do my best to answer questions but I am on a plane in a few hours and will only have email access and not internet access.

Here is some info for you guys to chew on as well:

http://www.vetronix.com/diagnostics/...al_obd_ii.html
obdiicsu.com - obd obdii obd II obd2 on board diagnostic autotap Resources and Information. This website is for sale! - Page 6
http://www.ncvecs.colostate.edu/cac....es/McCarthyOBD - Page 9

"The Information mode displays identification information provided by the
vehicle's OBD n ECU. Information can include VIN, Calibration ID used for
software identification within the ECU, and Calibration Verification Number
used to determine whether emission-related calibrations have been altered."

Old 08-13-2013, 11:35 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 964 Likes on 763 Posts
From a performance standpoint, on a relatively low performance OBD-1 '95 truck motor there is nothing a chip will give you that you can't get for free using other techniques, so IMO all of these mail order chips are a complete waste of money for these trucks.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:13 PM
95F-150EddieBauer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the great info