1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Wiring harness F3 / Merc M3

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 11:34 AM
roshan
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiring harness F3 / Merc M3

Hello all, I'm in the process on deciding what wiring harness to buy for my 302-c4 combi on my 52 Merc M3.

I've narrowed it down to (in the order of preference):
Speedway
9+3 Rebel
and
Painless - Non-GM

So.. I think that the speedway harness should be as good as any. I did read up a bunch of threads on these. Everyone seems to like all of them. Any recommendations? Also, I don't know if the stock switches in the cab are any good. Should I try them or just buy new ones?

I'm not looking to spend a lot of money as I'm still a broke new grad. Thanks guys

Old 08-12-2013, 11:38 AM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I personally like the speedway kit.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:47 AM
dmack91
Elder User
I am just finishing up the speedway 20 circuit kit in mine. Went pretty smoothly except that they had a misprint on the circuit for the HEI. Overall I have been happy with the kit.

BTW - 20 was way too many circuits for mine, but I wasn't sure at the time and I didn't want the mini fuses.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:53 AM
roshan
Junior User
Originally Posted by dmack91
I am just finishing up the speedway 20 circuit kit in mine. Went pretty smoothly except that they had a misprint on the circuit for the HEI. Overall I have been happy with the kit.

BTW - 20 was way too many circuits for mine, but I wasn't sure at the time and I didn't want the mini fuses.
I have the 12 circuit in my checkout. I'm just looking at what else I need to order so I don't pay for shipping multiple times.

Btw, what's the misprint? I will be using a one wire HEI distributor on my 302 also.

Thanks

Old 08-14-2013, 12:32 PM
dmack91
Elder User
On my 20 circuit kit, Circuit branch 2 says the source wire for the HEI is #39. That is in circuit branch 7 and is for power source to the dash cluster. Wire 3A is for the HEI. When I called their tech line, the first guy was rather condescending in telling me that I had connected the wrong wire. Unfortunately, I had done it the day before and hadn't remembered exactly what the diagram said. After going back and confirming what was in the instructions, I called back and ( unfortunately) got a different tech. I explained it to him and asked him what his instructions said on branch 2 for the HEI wire. He said on his it listed it as wire $, which means they realized they made a mistake on the printed instructions. That tech was nice and good to deal with, as most are there.

The only other issue I have had was that the floor dimmer switch broke when I touched the harness (literally). The plastic connector part broke out of the metal base. Only a $8 part, so I am not too disappointed.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:43 PM
roshan
Junior User
Originally Posted by dmack91
On my 20 circuit kit, Circuit branch 2 says the source wire for the HEI is #39. That is in circuit branch 7 and is for power source to the dash cluster. Wire 3A is for the HEI. When I called their tech line, the first guy was rather condescending in telling me that I had connected the wrong wire. Unfortunately, I had done it the day before and hadn't remembered exactly what the diagram said. After going back and confirming what was in the instructions, I called back and ( unfortunately) got a different tech. I explained it to him and asked him what his instructions said on branch 2 for the HEI wire. He said on his it listed it as wire $, which means they realized they made a mistake on the printed instructions. That tech was nice and good to deal with, as most are there.

The only other issue I have had was that the floor dimmer switch broke when I touched the harness (literally). The plastic connector part broke out of the metal base. Only a $8 part, so I am not too disappointed.
Great. Glad it worked out for you. I'll come back and refer to this note when I do my wiring.

Btw, where did you buy your switches from? I cant find to locate any place that sells a set of matching switches for say ignition, lights, heater, wipers. I'm considering this for my ignition: Universal Pull-Type Ignition Switch - Speedway Motors, America's Oldest Speed Shop

Would be great if all other switches matched the above!

Old 08-14-2013, 03:50 PM
dmack91
Elder User
At this point, the only switches I have are the lights and keyed ignition switch.

The key switch I got from O'Reilly's and was a universal switch. After two days of frustration and two switches, I figured out that the batch of switches they had tested fine on the bench, but as soon as you put power to them, the ignition power shorted to the solenoid terminal, making the engine crank on the run position. More than a bit frustrating.

I ended up at NAPA, buying a switch that looked identical to the O'Reilly's switch, but in a NAPA package. Works fine now.

Also, Speedway sells just the aluminum **** that matches the one that comes on the light switch that is in the kit if you wanted to just buy the matching ***** for your other switches. I think they run about $10 each.