Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 06:28 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hydra multi-position chip?

Anyone researched this:

http://www.dieselsite.com/phphydramu...itionchip.aspx

I've read that it is more of an 'open source' set up - no 'burner' needed, you can download, try, or fiddle with toons on ya 'puter.

Plently of time to think about it cause they're out of stock anyhow...

Old 08-11-2013, 08:25 AM
Aussie BrianB
Senior User
I am curious myself.
Found this
PHP 17 position Hydra chip [Archive] - Ford Diesel Power Forums
if you're interseted.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:20 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Hi BrainB, thanks for that link. Interesting reading.
The Hydra does look like the next gen of tuner. I like the detachable switcher & the USB interface (cable an extra $US25). The common tunes become free-ware and it sounds like you'd have the ability to abjust some of the data setting yourself, maybe adjusting shift points, TC lock-up point, etc, depending on the load your towing, or even terrain. Moving easily between your settings and back would help you validate any adjustment you'd made. You'd optimize your way to the ideal drive in your own truck!

Old 08-26-2013, 04:21 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
The order form asks for a 4 character code which is supposed to be stamped on the side of the truck computer, on the fender side. Has anyone seen this or know where it is?

I had a look around with a torch & couldn't find a code, maybe I have to pull the module out to find it.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:37 AM
Aussie BrianB
Senior User
Originally Posted by SSSimon
The order form asks for a 4 character code which is supposed to be stamped on the side of the truck computer, on the fender side. Has anyone seen this or know where it is?

I had a look around with a torch & couldn't find a code, maybe I have to pull the module out to find it.
Simon.
G'day, is this of any help?
https://dp-tuner.com/skin/frontend/d...r-pcm-code.pdf

Old 08-26-2013, 04:53 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Thanks Brian, yes that is a great help. Have to remove the cover and maybe even remove the PCM to check the code!

Old 08-26-2013, 04:59 AM
Aussie BrianB
Senior User
Glad I could help.
I gather you have decided to buy the Hydra.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:28 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Yes, I think it is the way to go. USB cable so you can easily change tunes without having to remove/install any hardware. The wireless remote switch also makes installation easy and you have the benefit of being able to leave the truck in a specific tune and take the switcher with you.

However, this will have to wait as I found (& created) a problem on the w/e!

Old 08-26-2013, 07:07 AM
Aussie BrianB
Senior User
Murphy strikes again!
Don't you just love it.
Hope it's easier to solve than my battery drain problem.

Old 09-01-2013, 05:36 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Good news is that it was a simple fix. Turbo hold-down bolts had backed off. I've since re-tightened everthing up to as close as I can get to the proper torque settings. Now everything is going well, but I know I have to pull the turbo out again to put in the shaft seals kit.

WW-G2 spool-up is much faster than stock. I will have to wait until I'm towing up a grade to see if the WWG2 cures the turbo surge problem I've encountered in the past.

Old 09-07-2013, 06:30 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Found my trucks PCM code. Just removed 2 bolts, plastic shroud slides off revealing a black blanking off port with a sticker, I presume, showing the codes.

Mine said 1C3F-ARC in smaller font at the top, then a large font 'QHL2' underneath.

Hydra now ordered (US$425), with USB cable (US$25) & I also ordered the CT Edge - the cheaper version(US$249), opted out of the pyro option as I already have an EGT gauge. Maybe later I wll add a probe and fit post turbo to hook up to the Edge. The main reason I decided on add the Edge CS to the order was to have a code reader/clearer feature permanently attached.

Mt Superchips programmer/DTC reader/clearer will now be consigned to my box containing old parts. The contents now includes: stock headlights and blinkers, donut seal uppies, front U-bolts, in-tank bits, press-on fuel connectors, fuel bowl connector, AIH & wiring, CCV inlet venturi, air fitler, IC boots, compressor wheel, auto front hubs, 2" rear axle blocks, rear helper springs, rear largest leaf springs, front 2 short leveller springs. Unfortunately I never got the opportunity to keep the stock wheels, radio or front seats which were changed by the PO. The stock exhaust came out in pieces which I didn't keep - looking back I should have kept the main stock DP piece just to show people how bad the FA DP really was!

Old 09-14-2013, 03:14 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Order now shipped:

-PHP Hydra with stock tunes + USB cable;
-Edge CS + EGT probe.

I'll be running an EGT probe in each exhaust manifold, one to the gauge on the dash, the other to the CS display.

Will post pic's of the install. Looking forward to being able to 'change on the fly' as, although I love the performance of the Superchips High Performance tune, the throtle response is far too touchy. With Superchips it takes minutes to change tunes, so I tend to just leave it with the touchy throtle and put up with it.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:02 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
PHP Hydra and Edge CT now fitted, haven't driven it yet.

Good-bye Superchips!

Comments:
1) Switcher IS cabled to the chip (not wireless) - the supplied cable is long enough to mount the switcher above the ash-tray, USB cable likewise;
2) USB cable has a printer style plug on the end - it probably would have been better to get a 2M USB to mini cable and tie the USB end to our driver side end dash panel near the key, not pay the extra USD25 for a too-short-for-Oz cable;
3) USB and switcher ribbon cable now come out of the back of the computer box - it would be easy for a restless passenger to tear them out with their boots - I'll have to fashon up some sort of boot-shield to prevent this occuring. It would not be such an issue in LHD trucks.

Edge CS:
1) FA nicely moved the OBDII port to our drivers side so no issues with any cable lengths;
2) Metric setting is only for entering tyre size, speed in MPH still shows after metric units selected;
3) massive EGT probe and cable - yet to mount this, it has a piggy-back connector so other sensors can be daisy-chained in with just 2 leads (OBDII & sensor 'bus') running to the display unit;
4) USA and Canada flag background options, no Aussie flag even though we're just about the 51st state!

Generally, access to the computer is pretty easy. I undid the bolt on the inside of the guard-liner and used a cam-lock strap to pull the guard-liner away from the firewall. After that access was easy

Old 10-12-2013, 09:01 PM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
All fitted now including the Edge EGT probe in the RH exhaust manifold.
I ended up grinding off the excess plastic from the read-out end of the sensor lead in order to get it though an existing hole in the firewall.

The PHP tunes for Stock+Modified Valve Body are smooth and first rate. I'm very happy with the improved driveability of the truck, the difference between the Superchips vs PHP is chaulk and cheese. PHP gives a lovely smooth throttle action, the power comes on smoothly, no smoke.

I was towing horses yesterday and switched between the 75 Tow when unladen and the 25 Tow tunes when laden. Once the trailer was off I had a drive in the 75 Fuel Sipper.

Next time out on the highway I'll see how the high-end tunes go.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:21 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
I had a go in the +140 Extreme tune.
I was in the left lane stopped at lights & the Volvo 4WD that'd been tailgating me for the last few k's as I drove at the speed limit went into the right lane. And there was an exit on the left 300m down the road.

You can see what's going to happen can't you? The Volvo driver's thinks he's going to blast off from the lights & make the exit in front of the Ftruck.

Poke, poke, poke, etc, on the switcher, quick check of my list - yes toon 14=+140extreme - check.

Light turned green, SMOKED him 2 ways,

And yes, said Volvo pulled in behind me and took the exit.

Quick Reply: Hydra multi-position chip?