1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Transmission Conversion - e4od to newer 6.0 Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 02:28 AM
TheGreenMachine7.3
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Conversion - e4od to newer 6.0 Tranny

Okay, so I know this has been asked many different times on many different forums but I am kinda coming at it from a different perspective than the others. I would like to drop a newer transmission in my OBS strictly for the better tow haul mode... not for durability... If I wanted durability I would build a sick e4od anyways... I have been in my dads 6.0 with the auto and really like the way the tranny responds to grades, brake pressure, and load... something the e4od just isn't capable of. Now from what I understand the two main things that would be required are adapter plate and a standalone computer (which may just eliminate the tow haul feature in the first place so it would be kinda pointless ) So maybe it would be possible to make a custom tune for the e4od that would beef up the tow haul/ overdrive feature? I would also like to firm up my shifts to get a little more life out of my 256,000 mile tranny and also for fun. I am totally willing to make my own custom wiring harness or get techy if that is what needs to be done to make this happen. So I know This is a confusing and kinda all over the place post but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:36 AM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
You could probably emulate that towing performance with a custom tune for your existing E4OD.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:39 AM
TheGreenMachine7.3
Freshman User
That would be awesome but how would I go about doing that. And thank you for the quick response.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:54 AM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
You would need to get a custom chip that plugs in to your pcm. That would be easyer than swaping a trany. There is a couple tunners out there that program custom chips for these trucks. But that is alot of miles on the factory transmision. I dont know how the chips work, if the tunners can just mess with the trans only, or if they have to add more hp at the same time. DP tunner, gear heads, php, TW, are good tunners.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:04 AM
TheGreenMachine7.3
Freshman User
Yeah I figured I would need some kind of tune other than the piece of s**t edge I have now... I guess DP Tuner is my best bet I will talk with them about possible custom tunes. Thank You.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:23 AM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by TheGreenMachine7.3
That would be awesome but how would I go about doing that. And thank you for the quick response.
How I did it was by installing a manual transmission. That way, I can have whatever shift strategy I want, as I want it.

But you will get a chip and a custom tune. Just tell the tuner about what you're looking for. I think they can arrange that sort of thing, but I really wouldn't know.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:51 PM
FI460
Cargo Master
I dont know that they can tune an E40D to that point. The 5r110 torqshift is a considerably smarter transmission.

I would think it may be possible to have one built and have the O/D improvements then. Someone with a bts or John Woods will have to shine light on that though. Cough*Glenn*Cough.

When you get into transmission modification territory it can get expensive fast. What's your budget like on this?

Old 08-11-2013, 03:19 PM
trackspeeder
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A 5R110 will not bolt to a 7.3. Totally different animal.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:32 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Getting a 5R110 to bolt up would be the easy and cheap part. Getting someone to build the software to run it would cost you more than a BTS trans

Old 08-11-2013, 06:12 PM
trackspeeder
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The software is available. PCS brain box for a 5R110.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:08 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Does anyone know of someone that has used a PCS on a TorqShift? Does it have the tow/haul feature? It is WAY more than turning off OD like the 4R100 did.

This is a MUCH more complex trans. Here's why I don't think the PCS will work on a TorqShift. I'd be happy if someone proved me wrong. I don't think anyone will.

It's WAY harder to make software shift a TorqShift than a 4R100, due to the design of the two transmissions.

The 4R100 is an all non-synchronous design. This means that for each upshift all that happens is a clutch is applied. All you need to do is control the pressure to the oncoming clutch and you're all set.

The TorqShift is MUCH more complicated. The 1-2 and 5-6 shifts are the same, they are non-synchronous and all you need to do is control the pressure of the OD clutch. The other shifts are the problem.

The 2-3 is a swap shift. This is a special category of difficult shift. I believe Ford is the only trans maker in the world that still does swap shifts. Others have put swap shift transmissions in production and then replaced them within a few years. To make a swap shift the TorqShift needs to release the OD clutch to downshift the OD gearset while applying the intermediate clutch to upshift the Simpson planetary gearset. This is an upshift and a downshift occurring at the same time in the same trans. From my experience these two shifts MUST complete within 30 milliseconds of each other or it's going to feel awful. If the OD releases too soon the engine speed will flare. The amount of flare is dependent on how much sooner it completes. If it completes before the intermediate has enough capacity the trans goes back to first gear! Then it has to make a 1-3 shift. A few WOT 1-3 shifts means the trans comes out to replace the intermediate clutch. Been there, done that. If the OD releases after the intermediate comes on you end up in 4th gear (1.09:1 ratio) then downshift back to third gear (1.54:1 ratio.) Either way it's really bad.

Now if you made it though that you need to make a 3-5 shift. 4th gear is the 1.09:1 ratio that really isn't used. The 3-5 is a synchronous shift. It's timing requirements are about the same as the swap shift, but there is no downshift. To make the shift the intermediate clutch has to release while the direct clutch applies. If the intermediate releases too soon you get an engine speed flare. If the intermediate releases too late you get a tie up. A tie up is when all three pieces of the planetary gear set are held from turning. This means the output shaft of the trans STOPS. That's not a pleasant thing to have happen when you're at WOT making a 3-5 shift. You can lock the wheels on an upshift! I've done this, too. You can also break expen$ive parts doing a tie up. Been there, done that, too.

Now start thinking of the combination shifts that can happen. How about cruising at 55 MPH behind some slow poke on a two lane road? A passing zone opens and you floor it. Now you may want to go from 6th to 3rd gear. You need to release both the overdrive and direct clutches and apply the intermediate. That's a synchronous shift in reverse.

As you can see from just these few examples it isn't a trivial task to make one of these transmissions shift. It's what I did at Ford for quite a few years, three of them working on the TorqShift. I'd be really surprised if anyone makes a controller for the TorqShift that works really well. I think someone could make one that does some basic shifting, but getting one so that it shifts at least as well as a stock trans is going to be a HUGE task.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:05 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Here is a little read. The PCS box doesn't work.

5r110 and my 24 valve - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

Old 08-11-2013, 08:39 PM
TheGreenMachine7.3
Freshman User
Thanks for the all the responses I sent a message to Jody at DP tuner to see what he thought about emulating the 5R110 program on the e4od. Which I know is a long shot seeing as the electronics have changed a lot over the years. But if he could get it close that would be awesome.