Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Quad Gauge install - the way I did it

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 11:31 PM
AzPatMan
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quad Gauge install - the way I did it

Thought I would put together a little thread for DYI'ers like myself on installing some gauges
on to the A-Pilar.
So, what I have are some ProParts - Spek Pro gauges, and a KT Performance - 6pos LED Switch for the Ts-Chip.
1) Removal.
First you will need to remove the handle on the A-Pilar. Pop off the covers and remove the four bolts
that secure the handle to the main A-Pilar. Now once the bolts are out, the handle will still stay attached
to the A-Pilar cover. Thats because there are 2 screws that act as location mounts.
Now - what you will want to do next is on the door of the truck cab, pull the weather strip off a little bit. Believe it or not, this seal (once removed out of the way for minute)
will give you access to the A-Pilar cover. Once you have this access - it is just a simple tug down to pull the A-Pilar cover
out of the pressure slots holding it up. Once you have all the pressure connectors pulled down/out,
just gently work the A-pilar out by turning it clock wise and a little pulling up down by the window/dash.

2) Initial test fit.
So the AutoMeter Quad gauge pod holder does not come with any clips or brackets to mount it into place.
Also, it does not come with anything to mount it to your existing A-Pilar cover. With that said - it's not time to get a little creative on fitment.
First thing you will want to do is get your gauges into the pod locations.

Once in - you may also need to connect any wires so that you can check for fitment on these and binding.
Now in my case - I'm going to re-use my A-Pilar cover. In some areas, it causes it to not fit flush and a little hard to run wiring. So - I'm going to 'Modify' my A-Pilar cover.
Meaning - I'm going to cut some areas out to make room. You may not have to do this on all gauge pods, but in my case - it's a necessary evil!
Once that is done - I used some clamps - and some small screws to 'bond' the gauge pod to the A-Pilar
Then I can also run (and separate) wiring through my access holes so that they can be run down the Pilar and down behind the dash.

3) Running leads/wiring - in cab/dash.
The nice thing about the diesels - there's a lot of room available on the drivers side dash to run
stuff through - I was pretty (and nicely) surprised! And I think I found out why, and this is spefically to Diesels. Because there is no vaccuum brake booster - this frees up some room!
So being able to neatly run your power leads and your sensor leads down behind is just as simple as tie'ing them together with a decent length of string and if you have a bendy grapler of somekind, or if have tiny enough hands - run the string down and pull the wires and leads carefully down behind the dash to the floor.

4) Running leads through the firewall!
So, at some point - these sensor leads need to get to the drive train components, which means something will have to go through the firewall to get into the engine bay. Well, there are 3 stock locations that have grommets with leads going to the engine bay. This isn't including the PCM mount -and don't even consider it.
But the 3 others, one is about 1 1/2 inch round wiring harness going into about a 2 1/2in. hole. Problem is this grommet is really stiff and hard to get any of your connectors through. Middle one - is smaller any you might be able to get 1, possibly 2 through, but it'll be a tight fit.
Then there's one more down below - in my case - couldn't use that one because that got my power lead to my additional stereo amplifier. So what to do. Do I drill another hole?
So I took a little extra time looking and found the perfect spot!
Again - the non-existent brake booster!!!! On the diesels - there is a cover that is pressure fit over the hole where the vaccuum booster would go (in the cab - it's right above the PCM.) From under dash - there is a little bit of a foam cover.
remove it to get access!

From inside - under the dash - and just above the PCM mount, you can feel for 2 pressure connector. Just push those little dudes and the cap that is in the engine bay will just come right off. This give you a the perfect spot as well as (with a little modification again) a grommet (of sorts) to use!

On the back side of this plate - drill! X Marks the spot! :P And drill until you're able to fit your biggest connector through - then the smaller ones. Then - pull all the wires through, but not too snug yet.

Shot from under the dash

Sorry if you have the Vaccuum Booster (gas engine) - you will need to likely come with with another solution (ie, making another hole in the firewall) to get your leads into the engine bay!

5) Finalize!
Now that you have done all your test fitment, secure your pod to your A-Pilar.
If you want - and depending on your gauges, you can either run all your power leads down behind the dash, or
shorten them - and just crimp and connect them to only run 1 set of power/ground up the A-Pilar.
Me personally, I ran them all down. Just in case I ever need to pull them out and use them in another vehicle if/when I get rid of this truck. But connect them up and make sure they're facing the way that you want and tighten everything down. Make sure you're gauge pod is securely fastened to your 'modified' A-Pilar cover.

Again - pull the weather stripping out of the way for a moment - and then after your wires/leads are run down,
point the long end of the A-Pilar down at an angle and push down gently until you feel it down behind the dash.
Then carefully turn counter-clockwise and start to line up the pressure locks from your originally A-Pilar to fit back in in. Once that is done - push your weather stripping back into place.
From there - it's just a matter of hooking up your gauges to their proper sensory positions (per their manuals instructions,) and providing them with power!

Not sure how much if this was known - but I didn't see any threads, so thought I'd share what I found!

Old 08-11-2013, 07:41 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Good job! One note, I might add, it that the cover/grommet that you ran the wires through in the firewall is actually for the clutch master mounting location of the manual transmission vehicles.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:57 AM
AzPatMan
Elder User
Originally Posted by mueckster
Good job! One note, I might add, it that the cover/grommet that you ran the wires through in the firewall is actually for the clutch master mounting location of the manual transmission vehicles.
Thank you for that input - I wasn't really sure and just assumed!
Either way - it's a great spot to use now

Old 08-11-2013, 11:11 AM
jeffreyt
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Good job and write up. Reps sent. Clay has a decent writeup for the isspro kit on his website as well, but it's applicable to any pillar install.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:43 AM
BrandonT71
Senior User
Nicely done, reps headed your way. IIRC, read it somewhere, you removed the paint on your grille, and now have an all chrome grille. How difficult was it to get off and what product did you use?

Old 08-11-2013, 12:02 PM
AzPatMan
Elder User
Originally Posted by BrandonT71
Nicely done, reps headed your way. IIRC, read it somewhere, you removed the paint on your grille, and now have an all chrome grille. How difficult was it to get off and what product did you use?

Uhm
Wasn't me. I swapped out my grille. Previous owner had modified the original to try and fit in some billet fins. They did a terrible job, and wound
up cracking it. So I just tossed it and got a factory F-250 grill that had
the chrome, and the rest was black for like $60 off of ebay.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:47 PM
jeffreyt
Postmaster
Originally Posted by BrandonT71
That would be AzPete down in Panama City. He did that with his and I copied with mine. Not all grills have the chrome under though, so test out an inconspicuous spot.

Read through the link in my sig titled "Tex" and there are some pics in there of the chrome grille before and after.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:31 AM
AzPatMan
Elder User
Got a video so you can see how they look. Getting ready to finish up the boost and EGT hookups. I'll get a video of them in action once they're all hooked up.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:09 PM
AzPatMan
Elder User
Well, I just learned something else - appears that these gauges are now under the AutoMeter umbrella as of last year!

ProParts LLC made the Spek Gauges, and AutoMeter bought out ProParts Last year.
proparts - news
So I've been thwarted in my attempt to get away from the normal name brands! :P

Old 08-12-2013, 02:40 PM
diehardstroker
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how close is that 4th one to your head? a friend of mine on here did a 3 pod pillar and when i got in his truck the top one bugged the he!! out of me lol

Old 08-12-2013, 02:47 PM
AzPatMan
Elder User
It's not that bad actually, haven't really measured - but I'd guess maybe a little bit over a foot or so. I do sit back a bit - so unless you've got the seat pushed forward - doesn't seem to be an annoyance - but I'm still getting used to it - so we'll see.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:50 PM
diehardstroker
Elder User
gotcha, im 6'2" so it would be right about eye level, the most ill ever go up the pillar is probably 2.

wouldnt have any trouble seeing it though thats forsure lol

Old 08-12-2013, 02:56 PM
AzPatMan
Elder User
Ah gotcha, I'm right at 6'0 and the boost gauge is just a little bit above eye level for me.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:28 PM
jeffreyt
Postmaster
I think the handle bothered me more than the gauges do, especially when I had the rain guard on there with Gus.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:34 PM
diehardstroker
Elder User
i really like those guages though, ill have to look into those. hows the price compared to other brands?

Quick Reply: Quad Gauge install - the way I did it