6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

My 6.2 trip report

Old 08-10-2013, 10:19 PM
rvpuller
Received 428 Likes on 280 Posts
My 6.2 trip report

The truck had 870 miles on it when we left and 2900 when we returned, 1600 of that was towing and the rest was mixed city hwy. The truck and trailer scaled at 24340 lbs ready for the road.

The first 800 towing miles was almost all interstate with some wind all from the side or head on we averaged 8.5.
The return 800 miles was mostly 2 lane with a lot of small towns and hills and some wind again side and head on we averaged 8.
Mixed town and hwy we averaged 12.5 and the little hwy empty it was between 16 and 17.
I was trying different ways of driving so I think I can improve the mileage over time. Some of the hwy was with DW driving and I can always get better mileage when I drive (but I didn't really say that).

The 6.2 never missed a beat and with 2900 miles on it the oil is down 1/8 on the dipstick. After the 6.2 adapted to towing it really came alive and had no problems pulling our trailer, we even spent most of our time in 6th gear when on level road without heavy winds, with 17" tires 4.30 gears it ran the best at 65 mph and 2K rpm in 6th.

The 6 speed took awhile to figure out; when pulling I liked the standard mode over the tow haul, I just don't like the way the tow haul holds in gear but I do like the way in brakes going down hill in tow haul, I think the manual position will also work out well going down grades and I will play with that this fall when we are in the mountains. If you really want to get it moving pulling the manual shifting works the best, I tried it a few times when merging on to interstates. Overall pulling I like the way it shifts but it does get a little sloppy when its been run around empty but I can live with it, it really firms up after pulling a short distance and the shifts are smooth but firm with the gear spacing very even all the way to 6th. Overall the 6.2 and the 6 speed empty seem a little disconnected but after pulling they work together smoothly. We did pull one good hill coming out of Taylor Falls MN and after getting behind a slow semi I pulled out and this thing had no problem gaining speed up hill using 3rd and 4th gear, I was impressed.

Everything else on the truck worked out great with the only problem being the voice commands for the navigation system, we just don't get a long very well.

Denny

Old 08-11-2013, 10:22 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,466 Likes on 1,287 Posts
Congrats, sound like a great tow experience. I was wondering how it would tow compared to empty weight of the truck and would agree it does seem to be off a little when running around with nothing in it, I suppose that some dead weight in the truck might help it out. Not to shabby mileage either. Good to hear that over all it can hold it's own pulling a load like the V10.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:32 PM
unyalli
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good report and thanks, I'm moving up to around 12,500 pounds of fiver so with my 3.73's I doubt I'll ever see 5th as I never see 6th now but should be able to handle it. I'm always above 5000 foot altitude so down on power from you lower altitude guys so thinking about a CAI and 5 star tunes.

I tow with tow/haul engaged on cruise with 6th locked out and manually lock out 5th and 4th as needed. I too realize the Ford transmision guys believe this engine has more midrange than it does. I've learned what hills it's going to pull in what gear so as I first start up a hill I lock out 5th and if necessary 4th forcing it to down shift before loosing speed. Once on the hill I allow 4th and 5th and let it decide when to grab them. I do this because it resists down shifting but once there will stay put and not upshift till well over the crest. My over all mileage towing my 7000 pound RV and hauling my 1000 pound RZR in the bed was 9.1 at mostly 60 mph. This was a 800 mile round trip from Cheyenne to Clark Wyoming (north of Cody).

Jeff

Old 08-13-2013, 02:37 PM
wyo2track
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unyalli
Good report and thanks, I'm moving up to around 12,500 pounds of fiver so with my 3.73's I doubt I'll ever see 5th as I never see 6th now but should be able to handle it. I'm always above 5000 foot altitude so down on power from you lower altitude guys so thinking about a CAI and 5 star tunes.
That's also great info unyalli! Good too see somebody using the transmission for what it is for and not worried about letting the gasser rev. I'm over here in Sublette County at 7000 feet and have been waiting to see some real world use at our altitudes. Ya know at our altitudes there is a 20 to 23% loss in power. Problem is too..our glorious western winds. I usually get blown your way with a fantastic tailwind, but then have to fight like hell going back into a strong west headwind. When I buy I'm still thinking 4:30's? You must fight a good head/crosswind going up to the Cody area on a normal day?

Old 08-13-2013, 04:18 PM
rvpuller
We will be heading west after labor day so I will find out how the 6.2 handles the higher altitudes, our first test will be Wolfcreek pass. I kown I plan on using the manual shifting in the higher elevations to keep the motor in its power band, from what it felt like on our first trip it won't have any problems handling anything we have planned for it this fall and winter.

Denny

Old 08-13-2013, 05:59 PM
unyalli
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by wyo2track
When I buy I'm still thinking 4:30's? You must fight a good head/crosswind going up to the Cody area on a normal day?
Wish I had 4:30's. Douglas to Casper has some big uphills into the wind then there's Meteetse to Cody sheesh! These low landers have no idea and the oil burners with there kompressors, fahettaboutit. Ever do I 90 west into Billings?

Jeff

Old 08-13-2013, 06:31 PM
wyo2track
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wish I had 4:30's. Douglas to Casper has some big uphills into the wind then there's Meteetse to Cody sheesh! These low landers have no idea and the oil burners with there kompressors, fahettaboutit. Ever do I 90 west into Billings?

Jeff
That's a few mountain ranges over from me, but yeah, I've done that route many times, but I usually stop in the Sheridan area to visit relatives. The wind can really scream off those east faces of the Bighorns, Absoroka, and Wind River Mountain Ranges. That's why we drive heavy duty trucks around here right? Even though I don't need one..most of the time..., when I need one, I'm glad I have it to combat the wind from pushing me all over the road. Funny thing when you think about it, from Cheyenne north up to Billings on I 25 and I 90 you actually drop in altitude a few thousand feet going north. Glad to hear the 6.2L is working out for you. That is decent mileage for those loads (pounds and wind). Look forward to reading your future reports with your new 5th wheel.

Aaron

Old 08-13-2013, 06:49 PM
unyalli
Cross-Country
The wind is why I have the Propride 3P hitch. It's truly amazing how it locks the truck and trailer together as one unit. I almost don't realize gusts that had me clenched with the equal-i-zer.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:07 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,466 Likes on 1,287 Posts
Originally Posted by rvpuller
We will be heading west after labor day so I will find out how the 6.2 handles the higher altitudes, our first test will be Wolfcreek pass. I kown I plan on using the manual shifting in the higher elevations to keep the motor in its power band, from what it felt like on our first trip it won't have any problems handling anything we have planned for it this fall and winter.

Denny
She'll get a work out then, this was getting near the summit of Wolf Creek Pass

The down hill side of the pass,

For those that fly by the signs,

Old 08-13-2013, 07:39 PM
ATP Pilot
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeff
Unless you need a gear lower than 1st, would 4:30 really make a difference going up a hill/mountain?

if you are in 2nd or 3rd with 3:73's or 3rd or 4th with 4:30's whats the difference?

Old 08-13-2013, 07:43 PM
unyalli
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by ATP Pilot
Unless you need a gear lower than 1st, would 4:30 really make a difference going up a hill/mountain?

if you are in 2nd or 3rd with 3:73's or 3rd or 4th with 4:30's whats the difference?
This is what the head engineer says. With the 6 speed he does not recommend 4.30's.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:22 PM
rvpuller
This is what the head engineer says. With the 6 speed he does not recommend 4.30's.
Ask yourself this, has that engineer ever pulled a heavy load up the side of a mountain and what about the long term affect of wear and tear on the transmission, with 4.30 gears you have less stress on the transmission because of the mechanical advantage they have over the 3.73 gears.

Denny

Old 08-13-2013, 09:28 PM
unyalli
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by rvpuller
Ask yourself this, has that engineer ever pulled a heavy load up the side of a mountain and what about the long term affect of wear and tear on the transmission, with 4.30 gears you have less stress on the transmission because of the mechanical advantage they have over the 3.73 gears.

Denny
Absolutely. I put 4:56's in my 05 F150 with 5.4L. Torque multiplication in gearing is stress reduction. My U-Joints would love 4:30's. My pocket book would not.

Jeff

Old 08-13-2013, 09:31 PM
rvpuller
Originally Posted by scraprat
She'll get a work out then, this was getting near the summit of Wolf Creek Pass

The down hill side of the pass,

For those that fly by the signs,
I've been over it a few times in the past with my other pulling trucks, it's a nice scenic drive. I always find a gear that the truck likes to pull in and set back and enjoy the drive. I'm thinking that with this truck it will pull it in 2nd and 3rd, my 2V V10 would be in 1st and 2nd with a 4 speed.

Denny

Old 08-14-2013, 05:26 AM
unyalli
Cross-Country
So where is wolf creek pass?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My 6.2 trip report