1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Sporadic starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 08:06 PM
4CFarms
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sporadic starting issue

Hey guys, I have a concern that I need help with. Just last week I had it's replace my PCM, as it was bad, and when I got it back the following seemed weird to be:
1. My chip seemed to be unplugged when they said it was plugged back it...
2. When I start it up sometimes, it had a bump of rpms immediately after I start it but settles back down to idle
3. And it only seems to do it once it has been driven to OT, shutoff and left sitting...

I'm not sure what to do as it is a long drive to any diesel shop to get help... Please, any input would be helpful!

Old 08-10-2013, 10:58 PM
4CFarms
Senior User
Only things I could find with research were a bad TRS, ICP, or IPR valve??? Icp had no oil in the electrical connection...

Old 08-10-2013, 11:25 PM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Do yall have access to any tool for data logging?

Old 08-12-2013, 06:05 PM
4CFarms
Senior User
It doesn't pull any codes except for a back pressure code, which is bec there is no ebp tube that goes to sensor

Old 08-12-2013, 06:57 PM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
So based on your description you are experiencing a lack of power( At least I assume from the #1 listed issue on chip)? What are you getting for boost?

For your romping issue it could be dirty oil, an ICP issue, or tired injectors. A lot of guys swear by a 5w40 T6 Rotella, to get rid of the startup romp. If yall could pull live data that would help a lot.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:39 AM
4CFarms
Senior User
Only 5-9 psi which doesn't seem right to me...

Old 08-15-2013, 10:40 AM
4CFarms
Senior User
But ya I've been using motorcraft so should I switch to rotella? Synthetic or regular?

Old 08-15-2013, 03:39 PM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
I have heard about the loping issue with Motorcraft oil. I personally run rotella 15w40, but this winter I am switching to 5w40 synthetic rotella since everyone raves about how awesome it is (especially for this issue that you are describing).

5-9 is about half of what you should be getting.

If yall can run tests for ICP PSI and Duty Cycle, and fuel pressure at idle and also get back in there and look at your up-pipes that would help.

As a simple test yall could unplug your MAP sensor and see if it runs better and has more power. If it does, then you know that your map sensor is bad, or the manifold to sensor hose is internally abraided and closing off reducing PSI saw at the MAP You can blow through this hose with compressed air to see if you feel it on the other side, you can also look through it and see if you see daylight.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:26 PM
paddler
More Turbo
Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts
Is the chip firmly plugged in?

Is the electrical contact for the chip making good contact, and staying put? If it connects to the PCM, perhaps the shop didn't firmly seat it?

Had that problem when I installed my chip.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:04 AM
4CFarms
Senior User
I'm gonna check the map sensor first. But on the next change I'm def switching to 5w40. And I got a new chip bec I never really liked the old one I had anyways so I ordered a custom tunes from dp so ill make sure I install it properly. I will unplug the map sensor and get back to y'all tomorow, BUT won't that set it into limp mode? What are y'all thoughts about a boost fooler? Thanks for everything so far

Old 08-16-2013, 12:57 AM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by 4CFarms
I'm gonna check the map sensor first. But on the next change I'm def switching to 5w40. And I got a new chip bec I never really liked the old one I had anyways so I ordered a custom tunes from dp so ill make sure I install it properly. I will unplug the map sensor and get back to y'all tomorow, BUT won't that set it into limp mode? What are y'all thoughts about a boost fooler? Thanks for everything so far
Dp has great tunes. You won't be hurt on that deal regardless of what we find your issue to be.

Boost fooler is not needed on your truck. You will not set an overboost code, unless you have upgraded injectors. It is an issue on primarily the SD's, but also the cali trucks.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:49 AM
pilgrimbizket
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by glovemeister
Dp has great tunes. You won't be hurt on that deal regardless of what we find your issue to be.

Boost fooler is not needed on your truck. You will not set an overboost code, unless you have upgraded injectors. It is an issue on primarily the SD's, but also the cali trucks.

I have a cali truck how much boost would it take to set a CEL

Old 08-16-2013, 11:33 AM
4CFarms
Senior User
Ok thanks I didn't know that, but what should I do to unplug the map sensor? Is it just a pigtail? And any idea, if it is bad, how much and where is the best place to get one at?

Old 08-16-2013, 11:49 AM
pilgrimbizket
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 4CFarms
Ok thanks I didn't know that, but what should I do to unplug the map sensor? Is it just a pigtail? And any idea, if it is bad, how much and where is the best place to get one at?

Just unplug where it says unplug, ignore everything else in the pic

This a picture is from a SD, but the maps are in the same location. Its a simple check.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:36 PM
4CFarms
Senior User
Thank you a bunch. I will unplug it sometime when I get a chance soon. So when I drive it unplugged, will I be getting more boost than what I've been getting? That would mean the map is bad?

Quick Reply: Sporadic starting issue