Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-09-2013, 02:33 AM
New User

TimV8893 is starting off with a positive reputation.
AshTim8893
Question 2002 F250 Super Duty Shocks

Hey there guys!

I have a 2002 F250 and recently I have been getting a lot of wheel hop in the rear end only, and I had the tires Balanced and the hop still hasn't gone away?
Its mainly only doing it from about 40-50 MPH, and around 65-70 MPH. 65-70 isn't too bad, but 40-50 gets pretty bouncy and is pretty bad!! The tires also 315/75/16
BF Goodrich A/T's that only have maybe 5000 miles on them! So the tread is still pretty dang good on them, and the PSI in each tire I have at about 38-40 PSI.
If you go to my Garage on my profile, you'll be able to get all the info on my Ride & how she's setup!

Anyone be able to tell me if it could possibly be that my rear shocks are shot? Because I do believe that it could cause the wheel hop correct?

Also... I was wondering if maybe we could get some opinions on which shocks everyone likes the best? Right now I have Edelbrock's on the front and rear, but I was wondering if maybe there was a better brand for my Pickup?

Feel free to throw in your input guys! Thanks
Old 08-09-2013, 04:54 AM
Postmaster

HeavyAssault is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.HeavyAssault is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Pull off the shocks, if you can easily compress them by hand they are done. Bilstein 5100's get my vote with a lifetime warranty.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:49 AM

redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault View Post
Pull off the shocks, if you can easily compress them by hand they are done. Bilstein 5100's get my vote with a lifetime warranty.
The only problem is that Bilstein has not been honoring the warranty. One member had his shocks overheat and melt when driving down a washboard road while hauling a camper. Bilstein said they would not honor the warranty due to "extreme offroading".

I'd go with the Ranchos.

2007 F-250 Super Cab Short Bed 4x4 XLT Sport Package 5.4L 3.73LS Tow Command

Stuart
Retired Master Sergeant

FTE Guidelines
Old 08-09-2013, 06:04 AM
Postmaster

HeavyAssault is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.HeavyAssault is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
One report doesn't mean ALL complaints are being denied warranty coverage. Be realistic.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:06 AM
New User

jimmac28 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Man Redford do you have a personal vendetta against Bilstein, that was one instance, there are a lot of happy people that have Bilstein. They are well regarded in the industry.

I'm sure can find a lot of unhappy people that own Ranchos.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:07 AM

redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
One report doesn't mean ALL complaints are being denied warranty coverage. Be realistic.
Nope, I point it out to make the OP aware that the shocks destroyed themselves in what I would consider normal use, and that Bilstein would not honor the warranty.

Read the thread, decide for yourself.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12...k-failure.html

Stuart
Retired Master Sergeant

FTE Guidelines
Old 08-09-2013, 06:26 AM
Post Fiend

acf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputation
miles.degrandi
Id go with ranchos also. No complaints with my 7000 series
coming soon: BPD water pump, Dieselsite HPOP, running for more than a week

Old 08-09-2013, 06:30 AM
Postmaster

SO we are supposed to hold a company to their warranty when hauling a TRUCK CAMPER???

LMAO...I knew there was more to this story.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:32 AM
Post Fiend

acf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputation
miles.degrandi
Well when you design a shock for a truck, most people would figure you would design it to handle a load..which is what trucks are for...

Im done with this discussion already
coming soon: BPD water pump, Dieselsite HPOP, running for more than a week

Old 08-09-2013, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac28 View Post
Man Redford do you have a personal vendetta against Bilstein, that was one instance, there are a lot of happy people that have Bilstein. They are well regarded in the industry.

I'm sure can find a lot of unhappy people that own Ranchos.
No, but I will point out instances where a company has not honored their warranty, especially when the part failed when used in what I would consider "normal use". Putting a camper on a pickup and driving down a washboard road is not extreme.

Stuart
Retired Master Sergeant

FTE Guidelines
Old 08-09-2013, 06:36 AM

Quote:
SO we are supposed to hold a company to their warranty when hauling a TRUCK CAMPER???

LMAO...I knew there was more to this story.
Yes, that is normal use for a truck.

Stuart
Retired Master Sergeant

FTE Guidelines
Old 08-09-2013, 07:19 AM
Postmaster

We disagree about "normal use" I agree it's not extreme. Good luck with your warranty claims in the future.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:19 PM
New User

TimV8893 is starting off with a positive reputation.
AshTim8893
Yeah I have been hearing a bunch of good things about both of them brands! I have been calling around and getting some prices on different brands today.

I know if I take the shocks off and compress them they are shot though Heavyassualt. I just rarely ever have time to do so due to my work schedule, and then when I do have a day off.. I usually try to spend it with my Wife because we rarely ever get to go out and do stuff too because of our work schedules. I was just kinda hoping to get someones opinion on if they think that's what causing it, without having to go out in the driveway and remove the parts unless Im going to be replacing them, ya know?

My Father also has a 2002 E250 4x4 Econoline Van and he told me to just buy Monroe Shocks for it. He said that's what he just put on his van and he said Id get the same quality as the Bilsteins but they will cost like 50-60$ per shock vs the $200 per shock for Bilsteins!

I've rode in my Dads Van recently and I must say, its a pretty smooth ride, I just have never even heard of them before? So Im not sure how reliable they are and whatnot. But I don't really do too much Hauling with my truck, and its certainly not a Mudding truck lol! I usually use it for a daily driver and maybe take it down to the river every once in a while to do some fishing! I maybe pull a trailer with my truck 2-3 times a year if that though lol! (Im just not a car person) I'd rather drive a truck with some nuts over a car or Toyota anyday!
Old 08-09-2013, 05:48 PM
Elder User

Hotpocket has a good reputation on FTE.Hotpocket has a good reputation on FTE.Hotpocket has a good reputation on FTE.
I agree with redford....hauling is what is truck is made to do....I would stay away from Bilstein...I love my skyjacker nitro 8000's and i haul very heavy and never had a problem....half the price of Bilstein for a nitrogen shock that works great!

2004 F250 5.4 XLT FX4 3'' lift on 305s Diablosport tuned 270k +
Old 08-09-2013, 07:14 PM
Posting Guru

Lubbockguy1979 has a good reputation on FTE.Lubbockguy1979 has a good reputation on FTE.Lubbockguy1979 has a good reputation on FTE.
Bilstien 5100's on my truck. So far very happy. For me it was a toss between them and the rancho 9000 shocks. Btw rancho and monroe are owned by same folks. Rancho shocks are supposidly better but a lot of the shocks are avalible in either brand.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:14 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty