Sponsored by: Moser

My new ride

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 12:29 AM
jgavac
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
My new ride

Some of you may know I have a 79 F250 that I started to do a frame off resto on. Long story short, I've run out of time to finish everything before I head off to college next summer, so I've decided to part it out.

But this isn't the end of my story in the dentside world. Ya'll won't be getting rid of me that easily This truck plopped down into my lap, and I decided I had to have it. Even though I overpaid a bit for it.

Feast your eyes on the only decent picture I have of the truck right now

Here's what I got
'76 F250
300/NP435/205
Manual steering
Factory canopy (big selling point for me)

That's basically all there is to the truck. I've wanted a hiboy for a long time, now I have one. The truck sat up on blocks for the last 10 years, and was last started 5 or 6 years ago. When I went to pick it up, I tossed a battery in, a can of seafoam and 5 gallons of fresh gas in with the old stuff, and shot some ether down the carb, and drove it 6 miles home. Runs pretty darn good. This afternoon I changed plugs and wires, didn't mess with cap and rotor b/c they're clean, and put some fresh oil in and spun a new filter on. Added a can of engine restorer to help free the stuck lifter it has. Needing to do some tuning to keep it running once it is warm, but choke kicks right in when it's cold.

Pretty much a stock truck. Warn hubs, old aftermarket radio, and an aftermarket gas tank. It's a poly tank that sits between the frame and the body (like chebby trucks) on the drivers side, with the selector on the floor by the seat. There appears to be a crack in the fill neck on the poly tank, but I'll be looking into it.

My plans for it? Not much. I'll get it running strong, and probably DD once winter rolls around because my bug will be too cold. I've got a set of turbine wheels off my '79 that I'm going to throw on to add to the look. Probably do a HID conversion because I've got a kit laying around. I took the canopy off, and I'm going to clean it up a bit. I'm considering locating some mounts so I can add some gas shocks to the lift gate on the canopy because that sucker is heavy. And, I might do a bit of body work and paint it. There's a lot of surface rust, but no through rust and no dents. Since I'll have the better part of a gallon of gloss black paint left over after I paint the interior of my bug, I might do the little bit of body work this needs and try my hand at painting it.

--
Ok long winded post over. I'll post some more pictures tomorrow, and I'll continue to update this thread with the work that I do. Think of it as a "work in progress" thread.

-Jameson

Old 08-09-2013, 01:02 AM
78_f800crewcab4x4
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts
Part it out? So you posted in here to tell us you are destroying a beloved dentside so some landscaper can get an alternator n a carb, and the neighbor can get a fender?
KEEP it! How much are you expecting to get, a few hundred in parts? I spend that much on housekeepers and cobblestone polish in a month. Its worth more whole as far as I can tell, Craigslist it.

Wait, I see contradiction...so you are keeping it after all?

Old 08-09-2013, 01:05 AM
keiths78f150
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to hear about the old truck, but new one looks great!

Old 08-09-2013, 01:12 AM
jgavac
Cargo Master
Easy boy.

I've already sold the engine and trans for $1300. Part of what paid for the hiboy

It's basically a stripped frame and cab. For me to put it back together as a rolling chassis would take me a couple months at the pace that I can work. Then, as an unfinished project missing an engine and trans and bodywork, It'd fetch maybe $800 bucks. Don't really have the time to mess with it once school starts anyways.

Besides, these are a dime a dozen around here. No skin off my back. If you don't like what I'm doing, don't look at it. I considered both options, and decided with this one.

--
Keith: thanks. I was really torn on what to do with the 79 because I've had it for a while. But I decided that even if I did get it done in time for college, it would just sit around outside collecting rust in the Washington rain at my parents house while I go to college in Cali. And that particular picture is the most flattering one I have of it. It's got a lot of surface rust and rust bubbles. But everything is solid.

-Jameson

Last edited by jgavac; 08-09-2013 at 01:12 AM. Reason: can't spell...
Old 08-09-2013, 08:16 AM
74 F350 SCS
Elder User
Jameson, first you let your awesome Caddy go then tease us with your awesome thread on restoring the 79 and now you go and let her go . I'm gonna miss following your thread on the 79 but all kidding aside, your new dent is sweet and I'm happy that you got your highboy . The deluxe topper on it is icing on the cake! I'll enjoy watching your new thread on the 76 F250. In my opinion, the '76 model year was the best for a variety of reasons. Good luck!

Old 08-12-2013, 12:16 AM
jgavac
Cargo Master
Well the truck is running stronger and stronger every day. Still purging some old gas out of the system. Tuning on the carb is almost done, working out a flat spot in the acceleration and occasionally it stalls when it's warm

I swapped the nasty wagon wheels for the set of turbines I have. Same exact model and size tire that it had before.

Here's some pics of the mags on it.

I also cut out the hacked together exhaust and threw in a glasspack I had laying around. Sounds a lot better, and doesn't look so nasty. Had to make a pretty big jump though, because my muffler inlet is 2.5" id, and the existing pipes were 2" od. Still has one slightly stuck lifter, so that's what the tick is.

Hopefully I'll get the truck registered and tabbed tomorrow so I can start driving it

-Jameson

Old 08-12-2013, 02:20 AM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Good lookin truck! needs some bigger tires

Old 08-12-2013, 02:24 AM
keiths78f150
Posting Guru
Comin along brother man.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:01 AM
jgavac
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by montana_highboy
Good lookin truck! needs some bigger tires
Thanks!

It's got 31x10.50's Don't want to go to a 12.50 because the steering is hard enough already. Might get some 33 inch cookie cutters though...

Old 08-12-2013, 07:39 PM
jtindale
Senior User

That's a great looking ride jgavac!

Old 08-12-2013, 07:54 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Looks good man. She polishes up nice!!!

Is this the one you wanted to get from your boss?

Old 08-13-2013, 09:28 AM
jgavac
Cargo Master
Thanks!

Yes this is the one my boss had

Old 08-13-2013, 10:15 AM
Jdeshler
Fleet Mechanic
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Look in good! Iv always liked those style wheels Learned something here today.. I didn't know ford made 250's with the 300's.. but hey, ignorance is bliss

Old 08-13-2013, 07:36 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Are those wheels 16.5"?

That truck screams to me that it needs a set of old school narrow swampers 34x9.5-16.5 Narrow S.S. | Interco Tire

Old 08-17-2013, 12:34 AM
jgavac
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by BruteFord
Are those wheels 16.5"?

That truck screams to me that it needs a set of old school narrow swampers 34x9.5-16.5 Narrow S.S. | Interco Tire
Yes they're Western Wheel 16.5x8.25 mag wheels. That tire is exactly the type I was thinking of. $260 a pop though...

---
I didn't show it in any pictures, but the rear quarter on the passenger side looked to be in pretty rough shape. It was the only part of the truck that stuck out from under the cover, so it got all the rain. The paint was bubbled pretty bad up and down the whole side. When I took a sander to it, I was surprised to find a slab of bondo. After I sanded it all down, I found some pitted metal, but no damage. So whoever did the body work didn't need a 1/8th in slab of bondo to fill in some pitting. I have the surface sanded down and primed ATM, until I have all the areas that need glazing putty ready and do it all in one go.

-Jameson

Quick Reply: My new ride