Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

2001 3.0 V6 - The Mysterious Misfire

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 06:39 AM
linemanforthecounty
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 3.0 V6 - The Mysterious Misfire

Through lots of internet searching I keep coming across folks with similar problems but haven't really found any answers that address them. So here's my all-too-familiar complaint for my '01 Escape and all-too-familiar plea for advice from those who have experienced it (and fixed it!).

My '01 has 128000 miles on it. After a long winter, it emerged this spring with a multitude of issues (A/C was out, ABS light on, and the "shudder"). My biggest concern is the shudder. My check engine light is NOT on and has not come on through out this intermittent problem. I am only getting the shudder when accelerating through 40-50mph at a low RPM or when I re-engage the gas after taking my foot off the petal at highway speeds. But here again, it does not happen every time. And without the computer thowing codes I am at a loss. Whether it was just coincidence or not, I did find that after a bottle of Techron in the tank the bucking stopped for a couple weeks, but returned a couple tanks of fuel later.

Any help?

Old 08-08-2013, 07:20 AM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Have you actually tried to pull codes? Even if the CEL isn't on, the computer may be aware of something amiss....

Old 08-08-2013, 07:37 AM
linemanforthecounty
New User
Swung by an Advance Auto Parts and was told without CEL on he wouldn't even run it, said it was "no use." Will hook it up today and see if it knows anything. I'll post the results...

Old 08-08-2013, 08:06 AM
linemanforthecounty
New User
Well lucky for me, as I complained aloud a worker said "I have a diag. tool in the truck. Let's go out and check it." So we went to the Escape and the only code was C1230 (which explains the aforementioned ABS light)

Old 08-08-2013, 10:55 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
If you haven't done so already, you should have changed the spark plugs at 100k or less. If they have been changed, I would check the fuel pressure & regulator, and make sure the MAF sensor is not covered with 'stuff'. A shudder can be ignition failure under higher pressures {at lower rpm with throttle open, but not down shifted}, or possible MAF not responding to air flow increase, or even the EGR not responding quickly leading to 'different' fuel air mixture. If the fuel pressure is down, or the regulator inop, you can get similar response to the increased demand when you press on the pedal again, and it takes a bit of time for the pump to 'get there'.
tom

Old 08-08-2013, 11:39 AM
linemanforthecounty
New User
Those were actually my first go-tos. had the coils checked, replaced the plugs, cleaned the MAF (which wasnt dirty anyway). Not sure about the fuel pressure yet, but haven't had any issues starting or rough idle. I am beginning to wonder if it is not a "misfire" at all but a transmission issue. Checked ATF and its full and clean. May get a flush anyway, its been 25K miles...