trying to add freon to my 03' expedition but issues.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:53 PM
Wes032
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trying to add freon to my 03' expedition but issues.

Okay I have purchased one of these AC Pro cans of freon with gauge built in and using it you turn the dial to the ambient temp.which is 100+ degrees And then when it's full the needle is supposed to point in a normal area of the gauge. In the beginning it was between 30 and 35psi. Nowhere near normal range according to the gauge so I added the whole can and it didn't move at all. So I added another can for a total of 36 ounces and the gauge is still reading the same. The ac IS cooler. The ac did work before just wasnt as cool as I thought it should be. If I throttle the engine up the gauge does go way down which I think is normal if I remember right but as soon as you let off throttle it goes back to 30-35 psi.
Also I don't know if it's a normal issue with these model expeditions but the front dash AC doesn't blow a lot of air, even on high. (Not a resistor problem, all fan speeds work)I checked with Ford there are no cabin filter.. if I put my hand in the floor vent I DO feel a little of the col air coming from there. I have replaced ALL the vacuum line but still leaking at flour. Unfortunately I bought this without the rear ac option and in Texas sitting in rear seats is hell on earth.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:14 PM
BaitGuru
Freshman User
be careful adding that freon.. Mine was blowing cool (I'm North of Dallas), back when temps were in the lower 90's, but decided that since I'm adding freon to my wife's Explorer, I'll do it to my 01 Expeidtion. I added a can to the Explorer, works and blows cold. Added a can, with A/C lubrication oil to the Expedition, and it doesn't blow as cold as it did prior. Probably too much pressure.

Next time, I would start off with just a little (maybe 1/4/ to 1/2 can).

Also find that under load, the A/C switches from blowing Cool A/C in the panel, to blowing A/C to the defrost vents (up near the windshield).

I still love my 01' Expedition with nearly 250K miles, but no as interested in isolating problems, and working on the my vehicles as I once had been... try to fix one thing, break to others .

Old 08-06-2013, 04:25 PM
Wes032
New User
BaitGuru. The reason I ended up changing my vacuum lines was for the same issue your having now as far as air goes from blowing out the vents to the defrost under acceleration. So search for that leak and it will fix that issue. 10+ years old those hoses are going to start to rotting. Like you I have nearly 207,000 miles on my 2003 and still running strong. Just wish I could get more air flow from my dash AC. With no rear ac in Texas heat during the day no-one can sit in rear. Lol

Old 08-06-2013, 04:55 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 869 Likes on 721 Posts
Anyone who tries to put freon into modern mobile A/C system has no business messing with an air conditioner. Freon hasn't been used for 20 years.

Please read HVAC FAQs for some insight.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:08 PM
Wes032
New User
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
Anyone who tries to put freon into modern mobile A/C system has no business messing with an air conditioner. Freon hasn't been used for 20 years.

Please read HVAC FAQs for some insight.
Excuse me God of all things automotive....
R134a.. is that better?

Old 08-07-2013, 06:20 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,386 Likes on 1,097 Posts
Originally Posted by Wes032
Excuse me God of all things automotive....
R134a.. is that better?
Not to be too nit picky but Freon was the trade name of refrigerant gases produced by DuPont. It's since become a common term used to identify any brand of refrigerant gas. That being said...........

While Mr ProjectSHO89 is wonderfully short of words look at his contributions here on FTE---his longevity and sheer number of posts suggests he's NOT a rooking at many things automotive. He has over 7500, joined in January of '04. You have three (including your retort), joined August of '13. Look at the FAQ's as he recommends---he's the author of that.

I'm also guessing his taking exception to terms, names etc etc stems from being exact in his approach to auto A/C repairs----the wrong thing related can create problems in some instances. I'm in the auto glass biz and react similarly when someone calls my urethane adhesives "its just glue......" which it is so NOT!

People taking their time replying to questions here do so in order to help. Its better to listen and not be so thin-skinned so early on in a new membership here.

As another aside trying to diagnose and repair A/C systems DIY without the proper tools OR knowledge almost always creates more problems than originally existed. Find a known local, experienced and trusted A/C mechanic---pay for good work and enjoy the cool they bring!

Peace, Out!

Old 08-07-2013, 01:33 PM
Wes032
New User
Originally Posted by JWA
Not to be too nit picky but Freon was the trade name of refrigerant gases produced by DuPont. It's since become a common term used to identify any brand of refrigerant gas. That being said...........

While Mr ProjectSHO89 is wonderfully short of words look at his contributions here on FTE---his longevity and sheer number of posts suggests he's NOT a rooking at many things automotive. He has over 7500, joined in January of '04. You have three (including your retort), joined August of '13. Look at the FAQ's as he recommends---he's the author of that.

I'm also guessing his taking exception to terms, names etc etc stems from being exact in his approach to auto A/C repairs----the wrong thing related can create problems in some instances. I'm in the auto glass biz and react similarly when someone calls my urethane adhesives "its just glue......" which it is so NOT!

People taking their time replying to questions here do so in order to help. Its better to listen and not be so thin-skinned so early on in a new membership here.

As another aside trying to diagnose and repair A/C systems DIY without the proper tools OR knowledge almost always creates more problems than originally existed. Find a known local, experienced and trusted A/C mechanic---pay for good work and enjoy the cool they bring!

Peace, Out!
I'm not trying to make enemies on this board. I've owned Ford's since I began driving some 20 years ago. Adding refrigerant to an ac system isn't something new to me. Whether it be R134a or R12. I'm not certified so I definitely do not know everything there is to know. This is the first system I've added refrigerant to a vehicle where the pressure does not increase with the addition of refrigerant. Now originally I started using the gauge that came with the ac pro can to keep from having to hunt down my real set. Well last night I dug them out of storage and this is what I get. Please mind ambient temperature was 101, degrees F. The low pressure side was reading 35psi and the high side was reading 220psi.
Now if I remember and did calculations right low side at a101 degree ambient temp. The low side should be at 50 to 55psi and high side 315-325psi.
My issue is after 24oz of r134a the low side had not budged from where it was before I started adding refrigerant. It IS blowing much colder, but why is the low side pressure not budging? I don't want to over charge and start blowing o runs or damaging the compressor.
@mr. Projectshow89... didn't mean to vent frustration at you. Yesterday want my best day.
Should I bring the truck to the shop have them pull a vacuum and then ill recharge to specs? Btw.. does anyone know how much it sould hold? My sticker under the hood can no longer be read.
It's a 2003 Expedition with the baby 4.6L no rear ac.. only front. Also does anyone know off its a Ford issue with the front dash vents just not pushing out more air? Resistors are good, blower speed works on every speed, condensing coils are clean.. it has no in cabin filter.
I'm one that like to do as much work to my vehicles as I can. Just any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys..

Old 08-07-2013, 01:47 PM
Wes032
New User
Okay... after doing an internet search I'm finding different pressures on every page. So I don't know what's right and what's wrong. Assuming you guys know more.so than what I'm finding online.
Thanks again!

Old 08-07-2013, 03:43 PM
BaitGuru
Freshman User
Really, projctSH089, that's all you had to share??

Really, "projectSH089"..that's all you have to share on this subject?

"Anyone who tries to put freon into modern mobile A/C system has no business messing with an air conditioner. Freon hasn't been used for 20 years. "
I strongly disagree!!! I don't care how long he has been posting on this forum, that was "the negative opinion' of an individual that had nothing to do but go looking for a fight, and that should be discouraged.

This is a forum for assisting other's (maybe tree shade mechanics) to work on their Ford Vehicles.

Everyone who read that post, knew EXACTLY what he was asking. You don't have to be a person drinking Sugary refreshments for 20 years to know when asked to retrieve a Coke out of the fridge, and there is nothing, but Pepsi and Beer, that they should grab a Pepsi.

I have been working on Cars/trucks since 1985, and I would recommend to anyone (especially in North Texas were today's temperatures are topping out past 104) to give those easy to use "AC Pro cans of coolant/'freon'" a shot, as it could be the coolest $30.00 invested.

They are easier to use on some vehicles, compared to others, and as long as you hook into the low pressure side (you can't possibly plug into the high pressure side with the connector on those cans) then it is safe, and cheap to use. May save you 100'$ compared to going to either the local garage or Ford dealership. Ford made it difficult, to access this port on the 2001 Expedition, much easier to access the high side, but then you have to invest in all the gauges (and training) to do that safely. On my 2001, the low pressure port the bracket/solenoids mounted on the firewall, and it is easier/safer to disconnect the battery, remove that mounting plate on the firewall, then connect to the low pressure port on the evaporator.

On my wife's 2003 Explorer, it is right on top, near the front of the car, right of the radiator.