1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Have you replaced your stereo? '03 EB

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 09:41 AM
wkbrdtx
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you replaced your stereo? '03 EB

My 03 EB will not play nor give up the CD's in the in-dash 6 CD changer/tuner and I am looking to replace it with an aftermarket model. I am concerned with possibly losing the functionality of the steering wheel controls, the reverse sensor indicator, the rear remote control panel and the automatic volume adjustment based upon vehicle speed. I will consider a radio with navigation since it would likely fit the space. Have you replaced your factory stereo and do you have a recommendation?

FWIW - The in-dash 6 CD changer with Audiophile system (that was standard equipment on '03 EB's) was ordered from the factory with a downgrade to single CD/cassette tape on the vehicle I purchased. I did not realize it had the downgrade until after the purchase and the dealership replaced the stereo with a 6 CD changer at no cost. I suspect that it does not have the audiophile subwoofer.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:35 PM
Hamfisted
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by wkbrdtx
My 03 EB will not play nor give up the CD's in the in-dash 6 CD changer/tuner and I am looking to replace it with an aftermarket model. I am concerned with possibly losing the functionality of the steering wheel controls, the reverse sensor indicator, the rear remote control panel and the automatic volume adjustment based upon vehicle speed. I will consider a radio with navigation since it would likely fit the space. Have you replaced your factory stereo and do you have a recommendation?

FWIW - The in-dash 6 CD changer with Audiophile system (that was standard equipment on '03 EB's) was ordered from the factory with a downgrade to single CD/cassette tape on the vehicle I purchased. I did not realize it had the downgrade until after the purchase and the dealership replaced the stereo with a 6 CD changer at no cost. I suspect that it does not have the audiophile subwoofer.

I replaced my stock 6 changer for a Pioneer 940BT Nav stereo and it was pretty straight forward. You will need to buy an adapter from Axxess for the steering wheel controls Axxess Stereo to Steering Wheel Adapters. There is an additional harness that allows the overhead DVD player to plug into if you have that. You will lose the rear seat controllability if that matters to you. I think the newest version of this Nav stereo is the X950BH Pioneer X950BH at Crutchfields. It has a built in HD tuner, whereas the older 940BT uses an add-on tuner for HD reception. So the 950BH should be even easier to install. There is also a trim kit for the installation that puts a nice trim around the unit so it looks factory. The Pioneer units usually have the speed adjust sound system, you just need to connect the vehicle's wire to the harness. Overall I'm very happy with the stereo and wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

-Mike