1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1956 Ford with LS3 Motor option

Old 08-05-2013, 10:19 PM
Jasonnoel
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1956 Ford with LS3 Motor option

I have a 1956 Ford f100 that I am ready to build. I happen to have a corvette suspension and an LS3 motor with an automatic tranny. I know that the purest will go nuts here, but I think that this would make a very awesome build and a reliable truck. I'm curious what you all think.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:20 PM
ZFLASH
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do it, this was and still may be the direction I'm going. I had to replace my engine before I was ready, so ended up with a 383 stroker. Wouldn't you know it,as soon as I did this,my LS1 in my Vette turned a lifter and took out my cam. I could have taken this and re-freshed it for less than the new one. You would get the same or more hp with better mpg and more reliability. If you don't want it,we can trade straight up. Mine has a little over 5k on it, I'd want to put a A&A S/C on it and have some fun. L8R ZFLASH

Old 08-06-2013, 12:05 AM
mustangmike6996
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well... I hate to say it but it would be a cool build.. Its not like you are just tossing a SBC in it and Mustang II...

(not that thats a terrible combo, i just see it too much)

Im always looking for variety and If that means a crossbread of the big 3.. then so be it.. just take your time and do it right... then you will earn the respect of the diehard purists

Old 08-06-2013, 04:44 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
There are crossmembers available that take the Corvette suspension parts, The LS3 would be an excellent addition, it can be easily upgraded to produce over 700 HP without even opening up the block. There are stand alone wiring harnesses available. I was under the impression that the late model vettes had transaxles?

Old 08-06-2013, 08:33 AM
Jasonnoel
Senior User
Originally Posted by AXracer
There are crossmembers available that take the Corvette suspension parts, The LS3 would be an excellent addition, it can be easily upgraded to produce over 700 HP without even opening up the block. There are stand alone wiring harnesses available. I was under the impression that the late model vettes had transaxles?
I'm using the 86 c4 suspension. I've already talked to Flat out engineering about their kits and Howell Engineering about wiring harnesses. I'm leaning heavily towards it.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:28 PM
DW SD
Senior User
I vote - do it! I'm planning a LQ9 w/ 4L60E or 4L80E build in my 1951. I just signed on to the board today with an intro. Have my 390 / 4bbl + C-6 for sale.

I've read some on modifying the harness for install. It isn't a bad process. Also, plenty of sources for modified ones without spending nearly $1k, like Howell.

Will be following your build and posting about mine.

Doug

Old 08-06-2013, 11:40 PM
POS-F500
Senior User
I was watching this thread waiting for the avalanche of hatred for mixing makes... so I'm surprised it's been supportive. I guess it's only the older SBC that people get pissy about.

Sounds awesome, document the details, as I'd like to get my hands on a LSx motor myself.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:58 PM
Jasonnoel
Senior User
Originally Posted by POS-F500
I was watching this thread waiting for the avalanche of hatred for mixing makes... so I'm surprised it's been supportive. I guess it's only the older SBC that people get pissy about.

Sounds awesome, document the details, as I'd like to get my hands on a LSx motor myself.

Yes, I was waiting for all kinds of crap about mixing the 2 brands. My hope is that if done extremely well, it's accepted and loved. I'll document the build as soon as I get started. I will install a mustang gas tank under the bed if its any consolation. Hahaha

Old 08-07-2013, 09:25 AM
BOB FERGUSON
Junior User
LS IN A FORD!!!

Go to the albums section and you can see the start of our LS/4L80 build.

Awesome power options & on the cheap.

We bleed blue but until Coyote's get available we're with you.

Good luck with your build.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:40 PM
emay
Senior User
Originally Posted by POS-F500

Your right about the sbc's, I see em blatantly frowned upon all the time. Mine a no no as well having a BB 454 stuffed in, but I get way more "holy crap that motors big" comments than I get in nose turns.

I'm torn to someday go current MY cobra motor or a nasty LS.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:20 PM
BOB FERGUSON
Junior User
Originally Posted by emay
Your right about the sbc's, I see em blatantly frowned upon all the time. Mine a no no as well having a BB 454 stuffed in, but I get way more "holy crap that motors big" comments than I get in nose turns.

I'm torn to someday go current MY cobra motor or a nasty LS.
Good luck with your dream

Old 08-07-2013, 02:57 PM
dmack91
Elder User
On Powerblock's show Trucks, they put an LS into a 71 Chev. They talked about having the harness modified and the computer flashed for around $450, I believe. Should be on their website if you are interested. I was really surprised at how reasonable the cost was.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:13 PM
DW SD
Senior User
I watched the video. $400 if you pay cash / personal check.

They made the swap look easy. It isn't necessarily, but they made it look that way.

Doug

Old 08-07-2013, 04:20 PM
Jasonnoel
Senior User
Originally Posted by dmack91
On Powerblock's show Trucks, they put an LS into a 71 Chev. They talked about having the harness modified and the computer flashed for around $450, I believe. Should be on their website if you are interested. I was really surprised at how reasonable the cost was.

I'll definitely check that out. Thanks for the good info.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:26 PM
BOB FERGUSON
Junior User
Originally Posted by dmack91
Thanks for the heads up and we don't want to stir in someone else puddle. But, there is a guy that was with GM in the early 90's during their design of LS engines and that same person is manufacturing unbelievable Wiring Harness for LS users and now Dura Max's living here in sunny Florida . He has just completed mine , it's without a dough, simplistic ,tiny , clean, functional along with being very affordable. I think in our conversations he said this year along he's shipped 35/40 harnesses through the US.

Don't know if we can put Ken's info on this forum. If we can someone let us know and we'll post.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1956 Ford with LS3 Motor option