1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bronco Shopping, I know another, but a little different.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 04:39 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Bronco Shopping, I know another, but a little different.

I'm keeping my eye out for a decent Bronco to buy. We need a backup rig that suits my backup vehicle needs and that anyone can easily drive. Another big crew F350 doesn't fit that criteria. Basically we need the smallest easiest to drive vehicle that can still tow a 10,000lb trailer if pushed and be capable off road, snow, etc. So figured a Full Size Bronco was perfect.

I know 87-96 Ford trucks rather well but mostly the heavy duty stuff. So I'm looking for tips on Bronco shopping and have a few questions, mostly year and option changes.

I'm sure she would like a 92+ but I'm concerned about the electronic speedometer among other things. Specifically can they be easily recalibrated for tire size changes? Almost everything else I like better about 92+ except the cost of course.

Not a whole lot of drivetrain options so will most likely end up with a 5.8, E4OD, 1356, 8.8, and D44TTB? 2 issues in regards to drivetrain. First I would prefer a manual shift transfer case. What are my options there, how does that limit my buying options? Second, one of my first mods will be to convert it to 8 lug. I already have the parts for it. A 10.25FF and a D50TTB in 3.55 out of a bricknose F250HD. The concern regards the D50TTB. Anything I need to consider in shopping that effects doing that swap? U-joint sizes comes to mind as a likely issue? Also any info on that upgrade would be helpful?

There are 2 reasons I would in some ways prefer an 87 to about 89. One is cost, second is emissions testing. In Washington they don't test vehicles older then about 25 or 24 years. I like clean air but don't want to have to deal with the inspections if I can avoid it. Anything I need to consider in making that choice?

ABS, I'm not up on what was going on in the Broncos in regards to ABS. I would like to avoid an overly complicated system, 4 wheel ABS. A working ABS system would be nice but with the 8 lug swap I could likely only retain the rear ABS that is based off the VSS. Does that limit me to 87-91?

Hope you have an idea what I'm after here, anything else you think I should know?

Old 08-06-2013, 10:12 AM
Boss351Bronco88
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BruteFord
I'm keeping my eye out for a decent Bronco to buy. We need a backup rig that suits my backup vehicle needs and that anyone can easily drive. Another big crew F350 doesn't fit that criteria. Basically we need the smallest easiest to drive vehicle that can still tow a 10,000lb trailer if pushed and be capable off road, snow, etc. So figured a Full Size Bronco was perfect.

I know 87-96 Ford trucks rather well but mostly the heavy duty stuff. So I'm looking for tips on Bronco shopping and have a few questions, mostly year and option changes.

I'm sure she would like a 92+ but I'm concerned about the electronic speedometer among other things. Specifically can they be easily recalibrated for tire size changes? Almost everything else I like better about 92+ except the cost of course.

Not a whole lot of drivetrain options so will most likely end up with a 5.8, E4OD, 1356, 8.8, and D44TTB? 2 issues in regards to drivetrain. First I would prefer a manual shift transfer case. What are my options there, how does that limit my buying options? Second, one of my first mods will be to convert it to 8 lug. I already have the parts for it. A 10.25FF and a D50TTB in 3.55 out of a bricknose F250HD. The concern regards the D50TTB. Anything I need to consider in shopping that effects doing that swap? U-joint sizes comes to mind as a likely issue? Also any info on that upgrade would be helpful?

There are 2 reasons I would in some ways prefer an 87 to about 89. One is cost, second is emissions testing. In Washington they don't test vehicles older then about 25 or 24 years. I like clean air but don't want to have to deal with the inspections if I can avoid it. Anything I need to consider in making that choice?

ABS, I'm not up on what was going on in the Broncos in regards to ABS. I would like to avoid an overly complicated system, 4 wheel ABS. A working ABS system would be nice but with the 8 lug swap I could likely only retain the rear ABS that is based off the VSS. Does that limit me to 87-91?

Hope you have an idea what I'm after here, anything else you think I should know?
I'll answer what I can...Others are free to add or even correct if I made a mistake.

First off, Pulling 10k I would never do with one of these. 1st off they aren't rated for it. Only around 5-6k. It's not a question of power, but...the 1/2 ton suspension, the brakes, Tires, and the short wheelbase would make it very dangerous to you and everyone else on the road. just about any trailer that's longer than it will push it around and make the handling sketchy at best.

To put it into perspective, My old 84 F250HD...2wd, Supercab XL, 8ft bed...with a 6.9IDI, T-19 4spd(granny 1st), D60 rear with 3.55s. Was tow rated for 10k. Thats with the big dual piston calipers and drums about twice as wide as the 8.8s. It would easily pull 10k. but it's the control and stopping that I could tell was getting to its limits. I'm more than sure my Bronco could get that weight moving.(460hp 351w, built C6, 4.10s) But controlling it or stopping it? No Way lol.

But if you are going to Tow within the truck's tow ratings...I strongly suggest the 351W or 300 I6. The 300 I think was only available up 92 or 93. The 5.0 is not a bad motor, but it's not an ideal truck motor with its powerband higher in the rpms. Also try to find one with the Towing package. It should have the "Super Cooling" radiator, Trans cooler, PS cooler, Quad shock, front and rear sway bars, and hopefully a factory LS in the rear.

Transmission-wise, The E4OD was not available until 90 or 91 I believe. before that the 351W only was available with the C6. You could also get the AOD or the Mazda 5spd manual with the 302 and 300. I dont know if the T-18 4spd was available in the 87-91 Boncos like the F150s

The speedos in the 87-91 should be cable driven from a gear in the rear of the t-case. The BW1356 came in manual or electric shift. There are conversion kits for elec. to manual available. 92-96 electric speedos can be recalibrated. And I believe Superlift makes one.

In regards in the HD axle swap, From what I've gathered from others who have done a swap. you would be better off swapping to a D60 front instead of the TTB D50. If lifting it is part of the reason to switch to the HD axles...Then you will still have all the issues of any TTB front end when lifted. And the rougher ride of a leaf sprung suspension.

4-wheel ABS wasn't available on the 87-91 trucks...I think only RABS. And then 4-wheel was on the 92-96 trucks as an option.

87-96 all were 8.8 rear, TTB D44 front, BW1356 tcases.

Basically what it boils down too. Do you really need your backup vehicle to be able to pull 10k? If so, then you need a 3/4 or 1-ton truck. But if you can live with out that...Then a Bronco would never be a bad choice...unless gas mileage is a concern lol.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:48 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 123 Likes on 119 Posts
If he is swapping to 8 lugs then he is installing 3/4 ton axles, which would come with bigger brakes. So it would be able to stop a 10k trailer. Would still have the small wheelbase issue though.

Jim

Old 08-06-2013, 01:14 PM
Boss351Bronco88
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Bronco Centurion would be perfect...1-ton suspension and brakes, 460 or 7.3 IDI power...and it's has the length to control a trailer of that size. The short wheel-base of a Bronco was not deigned for pulling such a big trailer. It was for maneuverability off-road. a F350 crew-cab dually is made for that, and not squeezing thru tight and sharp trails.

It is one thing if he would just be pulling it around a large property at low speeds and never using a public road. If that was the case, Then as long as he has a preferred drivetrain combo(351 or 300, C6 or E4OD, and a good gear.) he should be ok. My buddy had a 89 F150 4x4 with a 302 and T18 4spd. That was a farm truck. It pulled bales of hay/alfalfa that were 10k plus. But it was only out to the fields and back. and the creeper gear helped alot.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:15 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
The BW1356 comes in both flavors in the Bronco, manually shifted or electronically shifted. Mine is of the second kind and I've never had an issue, but the motor can be expensive if it does fail.

A late 94 - 95 model 5.8 should be the best one, being MAF but OBD I. The rest of the running gear is standard, there were no choices for the differentials.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:15 PM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
pretty much what everyone else said

Old 08-06-2013, 04:24 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks for the replies

Towing and drivetrain, brakes, etc. As Nighteyez said that is what the 3/4 ton drivetrain is for, after putting in the axles and brakes it will have the exact same drivetrain as was available in a F250HD. Only difference will be wheelbase and a slightly weaker frame. And of course I'll do other things also, cooling, airbags, etc. Just FYI even if I wasn't planning to tow I'd still put the 3/4 ton axles in it.

Towing with a short wheelbase. I'm not at all worried about this, no it's not ideal and yes I know a longer wheelbase is better. But so is heavy, dually, diesel, tandem axles, etc etc. I've towed with short rigs plenty, it's about proportions, brakes, and hitch. That said towing heavy loads on a regular bases isn't the plan. Two reasons it would have to tow so much. First to maneuver a trailer where my CCLB F350 can't and if that F350 breaks down to get it home for repairs. So yes I need my backup rig to be able to tow 10k, an 8k truck on a 2k trailer. Otherwise the F350 does all the heavy towing. If I get far enough into mods on the Bronco I might move the rear axle back but I'm not getting anything with a bigger body.

I'd really like to have a Centurion and frankly if I found a deal on one I'd buy it no matter what. But it doesn't fit the needs of this vehicle. The point in going Bronco over anything else is size. First for maneuverability and second its going to be tough to get the woman in the picture to even drive anything as big as a Bronco. To her a S10 blazer is big, no way is she going any larger then a Bronco. The idea here is 1 rig to replace 2. She wants a small 4wd SUV to drive in bad weather, I want something smaller then my F350 that can meet these needs, and I want to stay full size ford of the 80-96 generations.

As for a D60 swap, I already have trucks with D60s and don't want what they would bring to the Bronco. I need the Bronco to stay stock height and ride/handle well. This is much better done with a TTB.

Anyone sure what the first year of the E4OD was in the Bronco? AOD is too week and manuals aren't an option cause I need anyone to be able to drive it.

All 87-91 have RABS, all 92-96 have 4 wheel ABS?

So manual shift transfer was available all the way up to 96? But how about in option packages eddie bauer? XLT? Is there a lariat?

MAF vs MAP? EEC-VI, OBD-I? Things I need to consider there?

Bottom line, I'm looking for the best Bronco to toss in the axles, sway bars, airbags, hitch, and brake controller and call it good for a while. I got everything but the Bronco.