2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

CD to USB Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 09:15 PM
svfetter
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CD to USB Help

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> Is there an easy, quick way to convert CD music to MP3 format for coping to USB for playing in my 2011 Expedition on Sync ??

Ground Rules – Don’t do itunes – Don’t have MP3 player and don’t intend on getting one. Primarily use CDs but find it a little inconvenient to swap out each CD in the single player unit that came in my Expedition. (No Navigation)

Have an older computer which has no conversion software. Tried to down load a couple different programs from the net and found them to slow and not user friendly at all.

Unless someone can suggest a fast and easy way to convert and copy to the USB, I will have to stay with the CDs. I am not going to spend a half hour to convert and copy each CD. Plus when I tried a dry run, I could not get the OEM unit to read the folders which were labeled with the artist. Please advise. Thanks<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

Old 07-29-2013, 07:50 AM
svfetter
Junior User
Finally figured it out thanks, Not too terribly time consuming. The most difficult issue was figuring out the commands on the head unit. Very poor instruction in the Sync manual. Finally found an obscure section about how to get the unit to initialize and recognize the folders. From there things started to fall into place. Thanks

Old 07-29-2013, 09:32 AM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Hi, svfetter -

I'm glad you were able to figure it out!

Here's a link you may find helpful:

Support Topics: SYNC Technology | Ford.com

If you have any additional SYNC-related questions, don't hesitate to give me a shout.

Jaclyn

Old 07-29-2013, 10:08 AM
svfetter
Junior User
Thank you for the offer Jaclyn,

I don't do all this smart phone stuff. The USB drive is not a bad option but Ford could do a better job of explaining operations in the owners manual.

Out of curiosity I tried your link, Sorry but it did not tell you anything other than what you could do, but not how to do it.

I still like my CD changer in my 2007 Mustang.

I appreciate you trying to help.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:22 AM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by svfetter
Thank you for the offer Jaclyn,

I don't do all this smart phone stuff. The USB drive is not a bad option but Ford could do a better job of explaining operations in the owners manual.

Out of curiosity I tried your link, Sorry but it did not tell you anything other than what you could do, but not how to do it.

I still like my CD changer in my 2007 Mustang.

I appreciate you trying to help.
What exactly are you trying to do or what would you like to see in the owner's guide, svfetter? I'm happy to help or pass along feedback.

Jaclyn

Old 07-29-2013, 11:55 AM
svfetter
Junior User
Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
What exactly are you trying to do or what would you like to see in the owner's guide, svfetter? I'm happy to help or pass along feedback.

Jaclyn

No Real Worries at this point. But the information contained in the SYNC manual is not very good. I read where when you installed your USB drive the system would initialize it and you would be set. I did not find that to be the case for me. Upon installing the USB at first, I could access the music but there was no organization at all. When you pushed the selection button, the unit would go anywhere to any folder and play any song. And I did have any type of random or shuttle function off. In addition, it would not recognize the folders and folder buttons would not work.

Finally, on page 66 of my SYNC manual it talked briefly about accessing all the folders thru a series of commands. After going thru this sequence, it did recognize the folders and began to respond correctly to folder input thru buttons and accessed tracts in the right order.

Also, No where in the manual did I see information to inform you that on a folder which has more than 9 tracts that the play order will be 1, 10, 11, then 2, 3 and so on. Nor does it tell you that after removing the USB that you will have to go thru the manual initialization process each time you install the USB.

I realize I am in a minority, I do not have a smart phone. I really don't care about much of this new Tech. When the salesman got into our truck to show us how everything worked, he was quite surprised to find that my wife and I did not have any of the new Tech that we could use thru the new systems in this Expedition. (My last Expedition was a 2000) Short instruction session Ha Ha.

We do love the truck and figuring out how to use the USB has been a plus since they no Longer use CD changers. Thanks for trying to help.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:17 PM
Johnny Law
Junior User
Deleted. Nothing more to add.

Much more convenient than CD's

Old 07-30-2013, 01:01 PM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

No Real Worries at this point. But the information contained in the SYNC manual is not very good. I read where when you installed your USB drive the system would initialize it and you would be set. I did not find that to be the case for me. Upon installing the USB at first, I could access the music but there was no organization at all. When you pushed the selection button, the unit would go anywhere to any folder and play any song. And I did have any type of random or shuttle function off. In addition, it would not recognize the folders and folder buttons would not work.

Finally, on page 66 of my SYNC manual it talked briefly about accessing all the folders thru a series of commands. After going thru this sequence, it did recognize the folders and began to respond correctly to folder input thru buttons and accessed tracts in the right order.

Also, No where in the manual did I see information to inform you that on a folder which has more than 9 tracts that the play order will be 1, 10, 11, then 2, 3 and so on. Nor does it tell you that after removing the USB that you will have to go thru the manual initialization process each time you install the USB.

I realize I am in a minority, I do not have a smart phone. I really don't care about much of this new Tech. When the salesman got into our truck to show us how everything worked, he was quite surprised to find that my wife and I did not have any of the new Tech that we could use thru the new systems in this Expedition. (My last Expedition was a 2000) Short instruction session Ha Ha.

We do love the truck and figuring out how to use the USB has been a plus since they no Longer use CD changers. Thanks for trying to help.
I understand where you're coming from, svfetter, and your feedback is noted.

For what it's worth, my parents aren't smartphone users either; my mom recently went to a friends house warming party and the 8 ladies that were there were just staring into their phones, while my poor mom just sat there. Needless to say she left early. LOL

Jaclyn

Old 07-30-2013, 03:28 PM
svfetter
Junior User
Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
I understand where you're coming from, svfetter, and your feedback is noted.

For what it's worth, my parents aren't smartphone users either; my mom recently went to a friends house warming party and the 8 ladies that were there were just staring into their phones, while my poor mom just sat there. Needless to say she left early. LOL

Jaclyn

Thanks Jaclyn,

I appreciate your comments. My wife and I are not dumb by any means. Actually I only got a cell phone so my elderly parents could reach me if they need me. Funny how we were raised without all this stuff and got by just fine.

Not sure what your age is, but the younger generation is not going to know much other than how to work all their tech. I may not be too strong on the tech but I bet I do more maintenance and have more common sense know how to work on my house cars, Truck, (all Fords) and boat in one year that most younger people will do in a lifetime.

Sorry about the venting. Thanks again for your help

Old 08-02-2013, 08:25 AM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Thanks Jaclyn,
I appreciate your comments. My wife and I are not dumb by any means. Actually I only got a cell phone so my elderly parents could reach me if they need me. Funny how we were raised without all this stuff and got by just fine.
Not sure what your age is, but the younger generation is not going to know much other than how to work all their tech. I may not be too strong on the tech but I bet I do more maintenance and have more common sense know how to work on my house cars, Truck, (all Fords) and boat in one year that most younger people will do in a lifetime.
I'm 25, but things were better back in the day if you ask me.

Give me a shout if you have any future questions.

Have a great weekend, svfetter!

Jaclyn

Old 08-07-2013, 11:01 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks Jaclyn,

Man, you really come off bitter and sounding like an elitist. Great, you don't like technology, now you can walk around and wear your lack of understanding as a badge of honor and at the same time claim you have more common sense than most people younger than you? You have just displayed the opposite.