2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Is the factory HD tow package enough?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 01:51 PM
arsExpedition
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the factory HD tow package enough?

Been reading conflicting information on if the HD tow is good enough to cool. I have also read that there are many different coolers offered on the 3rd gen expedition anything from a 11, 7, and 5 plate setup. Mine has 8 plates that looks to have 6-7 actual usable plates at ~23" long so it looks like I have the "updated" HD trans cooler.

My wonder is how well the standard system cools the engine and transmission in high heat/humidity that I typically haul in. Should I be concerned? Should I look into aftermarket coolers? or am I good enough with the "updated" HD setup?

Old 08-05-2013, 02:31 PM
gpfarrell
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've heard nothing but praise for the factory HD Tow Package. Anything can be overloaded, but I think if you stay within the limits and everything is in working order you should have no worries.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:30 PM
arsExpedition
New User
Ok thats good to hear. I have heard people complaining about temps in the mid 200s (assuming pan temp) with the facotry HD tow package. Id love to get a bigger cooler one day, but for now Id like to just be happy with what I have. Thanks!

Old 08-06-2013, 09:44 PM
sgf
New User
FWIW, I tow a 6800lb+ camper with my 09 EL with HD towing. I constantly monitor trans fluid temp and it rarely breaks 200.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:45 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What is the weight of the trailer you will be towing? Hills?

Old 08-15-2013, 05:20 PM
arsExpedition
New User
Originally Posted by sgf
FWIW, I tow a 6800lb+ camper with my 09 EL with HD towing. I constantly monitor trans fluid temp and it rarely breaks 200.
Hmmm. Now is that pan, line or other fluid temps. Breaking 200 in the pan is bad for a transmission, while breaking 200 on the way to the cooler or elsewhere in the transmission aint bad.

Originally Posted by berry1234
What is the weight of the trailer you will be towing? Hills?
No trailer yet, I bought this truck for the long haul and eventually Id like to get a trailer for the family and would like to be able to tow the Jeep(~4500 wet + gear + trailer) here and there. Not to mention I may have to tow my buddies party barge. So no specifics yet, just need to know how well the HD cooling handles real world towing as it gets hot and humid where I frequent.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:45 PM
Johnny Law
Junior User
Originally Posted by arsExpedition
Hmmm. Now is that pan, line or other fluid temps. Breaking 200 in the pan is bad for a transmission, while breaking 200 on the way to the cooler or elsewhere in the transmission aint bad.
I'll bite... Where is the OEM transmission temp sensor located? Would that be providing Pan Temp or Line Out Temp?

Johnny

Old 08-15-2013, 07:02 PM
arsExpedition
New User
Originally Posted by Johnny Law
I'll bite... Where is the OEM transmission temp sensor located? Would that be providing Pan Temp or Line Out Temp?

Johnny
Not sure. But he could be using a aftermarket block as not everyone uses those neat OBD gauges

Old 08-15-2013, 07:22 PM
Johnny Law
Junior User
Not sure. But he could be using a aftermarket block as not everyone uses those neat OBD gauges
You're right, I use a Scanguage II. It is worth it's weight in gold IMO.

It would be interesting to note the sensor location. I occasionally pull a 20ft boat over mountain passes and steep hills in the Pacific Northwest. I have occasionally broken 200 deg F but it usually is 185-195 in 100 deg ambient temps. While not towing it stays about 175-185 deg F.

I have considered this normal but I have noticed that this year the temps are a couple of deg warmer on average than they were last year. I only have 15K mi on my '11 Limited. Last year I was about 10K mi.

Johnny

Old 08-15-2013, 08:10 PM
arsExpedition
New User
Originally Posted by Johnny Law
You're right, I use a Scanguage II. It is worth it's weight in gold IMO.

It would be interesting to note the sensor location. I occasionally pull a 20ft boat over mountain passes and steep hills in the Pacific Northwest. I have occasionally broken 200 deg F but it usually is 185-195 in 100 deg ambient temps. While not towing it stays about 175-185 deg F.

I have considered this normal but I have noticed that this year the temps are a couple of deg warmer on average than they were last year. I only have 15K mi on my '11 Limited. Last year I was about 10K mi.

Johnny
Thats how my jeep was in the summer time. I hit 214 in it once hauling ~1800lbs in the cab/roof/hitch on the way to lake gaston. But that was pan and I surely damaged my transmission that day or at least wore it out a decent bit.

Im seriously considering an aeroforce gauge for the truck as it will be alot easier then having to get a block installed and having to run wire from inside to under the truck. Plus it reads 2 PIDs at a time and can switch between so many and it scans and clears DTCs making it a no brainer.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:54 PM
Johnny Law
Junior User
Thats how my jeep was in the summer time. I hit 214 in it once hauling ~1800lbs in the cab/roof/hitch on the way to lake gaston. But that was pan and I surely damaged my transmission that day or at least wore it out a decent bit.

Im seriously considering an aeroforce gauge for the truck as it will be alot easier then having to get a block installed and having to run wire from inside to under the truck. Plus it reads 2 PIDs at a time and can switch between so many and it scans and clears DTCs making it a no brainer.
You might want to try the Scanqauge. I keep it up by the front lower corner of the windshield on the dash. It is very inconspicuous. No wires show and you can change the display brightness and color to match the dash or red for easy night vision. Easy to see while you are driving. It also can scan codes.

The scan gauge reads 4 sensors at a time. I usually leave it on AVG MILEAGE<instant mileage="">, INSTANT MILEAGE<average mileage="">, TRANS TEMP <engine coolant=""> and ENGINE TEMP<trans temp="">. It is plug and play. Except you do need to program the correct Transmission Temp. It will also provide you with current trip computer info (Mileage, Max Speed, Max Tach, Miles Driven, Hours Driven, Avg Mileage and a few more) Today's info, and yesterday's info as well as Tank Info. Mileage is much more accurate than that of the built in mileage in the instrument panel. </trans></engine></average></instant>

Also the temperature gauge in instrument cluster runs through the computer, therefore it doesn't show changes in temp like the Scangauge, it just sits pretty in the same spot even if the temp get's pretty high. I guess the engineers don't want you to know anything.

I have no affiliation with Scangauge just a happy customer.

What year is your Expedition?

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Law; 08-15-2013 at 09:24 PM. Reason: I used GT LT symbols in my text and it removed the text inside
Old 08-15-2013, 10:15 PM
sgf
New User
I am using a Scangauge II as well. Just towed my camper home on Monday, 3 hour trip in fairly cool weather and it stayed in the 180s. In warmer weather it stays in the 190s. Don't know where this temp is taken from but I programmed it as others have stated.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:57 PM
arsExpedition
New User
2008 XLT 4x4 HD tow. Runs like a champ! Have any pictures of your scanguage install? I like the aero as I can use a roush ac vent pod and have it look factory.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:00 AM
sgf
New User
I have the old rectangular one, I just used velcro to attach it to the top of the steering column. Doesn't look bad but the long cable does get in the way at times.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:23 AM
arsExpedition
New User
Ahh I might go to advanced auto and see if they have one as it would fit perfect under the info center on the steering column. Where did yall get the codes for trans temp and such? Is it on their website?

Quick Reply: Is the factory HD tow package enough?