2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Is the factory HD tow package enough?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 08:41 AM
sgf
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Between the web site and the manual you should be good to go. IMHO, Trans fluid temp was the only other interesting thing to display besides water temp. Also, if I had to do it again I may have gone with one of the wireless bluetooth ones that can display on your smartphone. If you are a techie this might be a better way to go!

Old 08-16-2013, 10:29 AM
arsExpedition
New User
Not a fan of the update rate of the bluetooth gauges as well as most dont seem to read trans temp which is what Im looking for. Right now I have it between the aeroforce and the scangauge II just need to do more research on which is the better buy.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:26 PM
Johnny Law
Junior User
Originally Posted by arsExpedition
2008 XLT 4x4 HD tow. Runs like a champ! Have any pictures of your scanguage install? I like the aero as I can use a roush ac vent pod and have it look factory.
I'll share my pictures of where I installed my Scangauge. I guess the wire does show, I just don't notice it anymore. The cord is not visible until it comes out of the door molding by the base of the pillar. It follows the natural break of the materials so I really don't even notice it anymore.

It is actually more visible without looking at the camera, but I am 6' tall.

Here is a close up.

I like the fact that the gauges are not far away from the line of sight while driving, makes focusing easier on my eyes.

I hope this helps,

Johnny

Old 08-16-2013, 02:02 PM
arsExpedition
New User
How do you like and how long have you had it?

Old 08-16-2013, 02:22 PM
Johnny Law
Junior User
Originally Posted by arsExpedition
How do you like and how long have you had it?
I would not have a truck without it. In fact, I had/have one on my '96 Suburban and instead of transferring it to the Expedition, I just bought another.

I find I use the instant mileage and the average mileage the most. I find it a game to keep the instant mileage above the average as much as possible. I have probably increased my overall mileage by a couple of miles per gallon.

I only have 15K miles on a 2 year old Expedition so I don't drive it too much, mainly family vacations.

That's just me. However, when I am towing I am constantly keeping an eye on engine temp and transmission temp which vary a lot depending on the conditions.

I would recommend one. But again I haven't tried any others. But for me this meets my needs.

Johnny

Old 08-16-2013, 02:33 PM
arsExpedition
New User
Originally Posted by Johnny Law
I would not have a truck without it. In fact, I had/have one on my '96 Suburban and instead of transferring it to the Expedition, I just bought another.

I find I use the instant mileage and the average mileage the most. I find it a game to keep the instant mileage above the average as much as possible. I have probably increased my overall mileage by a couple of miles per gallon.

I only have 15K miles on a 2 year old Expedition so I don't drive it too much, mainly family vacations.

That's just me. However, when I am towing I am constantly keeping an eye on engine temp and transmission temp which vary a lot depending on the conditions.

I would recommend one. But again I haven't tried any others. But for me this meets my needs.

Johnny
Im sold. I love the look of the round gauge, but Im thinking more and more about the loss of being able to point the air as well as $100 more for a 2 PID read out gauge and $33 for a mount as being alot to pay for a what seems to be convenience programming and a cleaner look. If they have one at the local store I might grab one today.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:31 PM
arsExpedition
New User
My wife is going to KILL me! I found the only one left in stores within a reasonable driving range and is now programmed and setup for: voltage, IAT, Water temp(thinking about oil temp instead) and transmission temp (PITA!). Teh transmission temp was a pita as I had to try all 4 xgauge settings until the 4th one worked (2nd on the list on scan gauge website). Definitely happy...until my wife sees it and flips!

Old 08-16-2013, 04:49 PM
Johnny Law
Junior User
Glad to got it all sorted out.

Relationships are the toughest to sort out.

I'm sure you have been there before, besides the other one you were thinking about would have cost more...and do we have to talk about what would it cost if you burned up your transmission. I think not.

Johnny

Old 08-16-2013, 07:52 PM
arsExpedition
New User
Originally Posted by Johnny Law
Glad to got it all sorted out.

Relationships are the toughest to sort out.

I'm sure you have been there before, besides the other one you were thinking about would have cost more...and do we have to talk about what would it cost if you burned up your transmission. I think not.

Johnny
LoL she doesnt think about the preventative. She thinks about the here and now. She only sees $170 now and if I said its to prevent a transmission issue, she would ask if I bought a POS and really got mad.

Im hoping she doesnt notice. Either way Im loving it so far and having 4 PIDs at a time is amazing.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:08 PM
arsExpedition
New User
Scangauge 2 install. Took less then 2min including the ripping of the box and I now have 4 pids simultaneously running. So happy to have my trucks vitals so readily available and I get to keep my stock vent for half the price.