Sponsored by: Moser

CB Radio Location

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 09:07 PM
JeffHann74
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CB Radio Location

I am looking at installing a CB in my 2012 F150. This thread isn't electronics based, there is already a sub forum for that. This thread is about radio placement. I have a 2012 f150 XLT that I special ordered... meaning I got the front buckets with the center console. I have an old SBE Sidebander IV that was my grandfather's that I am going to swing by the CB shop this week to get checked out. If everything is a go, I will go with that. So, this is a big radio fromm the 70's, not the little tiny things that are sold today.

So, whats a good location? Vertical on the front of the console maybe?

Old 08-04-2013, 10:35 PM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I looked at that option for a recent install of a radio for the fire chief, but there was no flat space to mount to. The only flat space is the front of the "cubby" and pops out.

I ended up mounting the radio in the pocket on the dash. Fortunately, this was a smaller unit (Kenwood TK-780). I doubt you're going to make your CB fit in the same location - at least, not as cleanly.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:10 AM
parker245
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't tell you where to mount it, but I can say that's the cat-daddy of CB radios from back in the day. I had one older, 23 channel SBE before I upgraded to the SBE Sidebander I'VE, then I had it modded to include a toggle switch on the back,basically tripling the number of channels going 40 above 40 and 40 below! The tech tweaked the output on it, so with the addition of a good quality power mike, and two 102" whip antennas, it became a real talker!

I think it might even be in a foot locker in the barn. I might have to find it and see if it still works.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:27 AM
jstnromero
Postmaster
Not an F150, but here is how I mounted my Cobra 29 in my Superduty. I used a Ram Mount (google them) and bolted it to the floor. Provides a solid mount and is adjustable. I drive off-road a lot and there is little movement in the CB.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:27 AM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm also intereseted in some mounting locations because I have that huge flow through center console in my FX4. I have a full size cb but I'm thinking about buying one of the small size compact ones to put in the console box. I only need it occasionally for off roading with friends. Do they work as well as a full size cb?

Old 08-05-2013, 01:01 PM
JeffHann74
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guess I will be doing some shopping. Went by the CB shop today and the radio I have will power on, but that is about it.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:41 PM
Ziegelsteinfaust
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Turbo Dog
I'm also intereseted in some mounting locations because I have that huge flow through center console in my FX4. I have a full size cb but I'm thinking about buying one of the small size compact ones to put in the console box. I only need it occasionally for off roading with friends. Do they work as well as a full size cb?
You can get 5-6 on the open hwy easy with the small ones. 1-2 miles in the suburbs.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:00 PM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by parker245
I can't tell you where to mount it, but I can say that's the cat-daddy of CB radios from back in the day. I had one older, 23 channel SBE before I upgraded to the SBE Sidebander I'VE, then I had it modded to include a toggle switch on the back,basically tripling the number of channels going 40 above 40 and 40 below! The tech tweaked the output on it, so with the addition of a good quality power mike, and two 102" whip antennas, it became a real talker!

I think it might even be in a foot locker in the barn. I might have to find it and see if it still works.
Always a good idea to admit violations of federal law on an Internet forum... I presume you realize that your 80 extra channels and your "tweaked" output are both illegal, yes?

Old 08-07-2013, 07:11 PM
johnday
Cargo Master
Received 246 Likes on 108 Posts
I mounted mine, a compact Midland, in the cubby hole below the radio. I'd have preferred my full size Galaxy, but the little Midland works pretty good. The key to any CB install, is not so much the radio, but the antenna and grounding. You could use a base loaded antenna like the "Lil Will", with a magnet mount. That's what I did, and usually can get out a few miles. Don't forget your SWR's, you can screw up any radio with too high of SWR's.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:16 PM
awq134
Elder User
Not sure how small you are willing to go but this is what came up with for my solution.

https://www.cobra.com/detail/75-wx-s...aa-weather.cfm

I have a 2010 stx with flow through floor and put the control box in the lower cubby.

I only use it on long road trips and usually get a 3-4 mile reach with it.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:24 PM
parker245
Senior User
Originally Posted by tvsjr
Always a good idea to admit violations of federal law on an Internet forum... I presume you realize that your 80 extra channels and your "tweaked" output are both illegal, yes?
Not are. Were. There is no possession now for them to hang their hat on. I've since found that the evidence is in fact, missing. Besides, I'm sure they might be more interested in finding some entitlement baby to take back to jail for parole violations. Sure would be easier to prosecute.

What are you? Some DHS agent in disguise looking for potential security threats within the ranks of a pick-up forum membership?

Old 08-08-2013, 07:02 AM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by parker245
Not are. Were. There is no possession now for them to hang their hat on. I've since found that the evidence is in fact, missing. Besides, I'm sure they might be more interested in finding some entitlement baby to take back to jail for parole violations. Sure would be easier to prosecute.

What are you? Some DHS agent in disguise looking for potential security threats within the ranks of a pick-up forum membership?
Just someone who is somewhat displeased when CBers modify their radios and then proceed to interfere with legitimate users on other frequencies.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:19 AM
parker245
Senior User
Originally Posted by tvsjr
Just someone who is somewhat displeased when CBers modify their radios and then proceed to interfere with legitimate users on other frequencies.
Well, unless you were in Harris County some thirty odd years ago, when the alleged offense took place, you have no reason to be displeased with me.

Have a nice day!

Old 08-08-2013, 02:24 PM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by awq134
Not sure how small you are willing to go but this is what came up with for my solution.

https://www.cobra.com/detail/75-wx-s...aa-weather.cfm

I have a 2010 stx with flow through floor and put the control box in the lower cubby.

I only use it on long road trips and usually get a 3-4 mile reach with it.

Thanks for the link I had forgotten about that model. It does look like a good option for the flow through console.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:40 PM
awq134
Elder User
I'm willing to bet that a small radio would still fit into the lower cubby hole and a bigger radio would fit if the actually cubby was removed as a whole.

Quick Reply: CB Radio Location