1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

So there I was, waiting on paint...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 05:10 PM
Tobys50
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So there I was, waiting on paint...

I've had my '50 F-1 some nasty green epoxy primer color, then grabber orange for the better part of 20 years. Storage while I was stationed overseas and just time in general has not been kind to her, let alone bodywork I did as a teenager is starting to come thru. I've had to media blast the bed and shoot it with primer, along with the running boards and hood. Now the poor girl looks like some idiot's attempt at a two-tone job when really it's been out of necessity.

So I found a paint/body guy at my place of work who's done several hot rods, bikes, and other custom projects. He does beautiful work and for half the price because of the "buddy hook up" and the fact that the guy really doesn't need the money. He told me that he'd be back from vacation on 15 July and I could bring the truck over. I took a week off work to help out and stripped off all the chrome and prepped the best I could, called him on the 15th and I get "man you know what happened, I came home and the water line popped off the back of my fridge and I got water damage in 2 rooms. let me figure out what I'm working with here and I'll call ya" Each day I check up until he tells me that week is basically shot and hopefully the next week. The next week comes and goes as he explains how his business partner filled the shop with side projects while he was fixing his house. Took about a week to clear that out and it should be my turn. I call the guy once again & now he's got a family emergency & had to take off to TN. I'm beginning to wonder whether this guy has the worst luck or me? So I'm reluctant to shop around simply because of the quality of work he produces for the price he asks.

If anyone is still reading at this point, thanks, lol! I just needed to rant to some dudes that would understand. Rest assured that if she ever get's into the booth, there will be pics and she's gonna look sweet!

-Toby

Old 08-03-2013, 05:17 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
"For a Friend" deals are subject to second thoughts many times. Better that you haven't given him any money at this point.

Old 08-03-2013, 05:27 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
My guess is he really doesn't want to do it very bad, and was hoping you would back out after he blew you off a couple times. That and the cheap price....not much incentive there.
I know after nearly 30 years of doing paint and body myself, it takes large sums of money to get me motivated. But that's just me being burnt out........

Old 08-04-2013, 11:12 AM
mustangmike6996
Elder User
I am still waiting on a paint job that is OWED to me for doing so much side work on all of my friends cars/ boats/ house etc.. thats been almost 11 years now..

Hes actually one of my best friends and since Im stationed out of state, its an out of sight out of mind deal to him... even tho my car is still 5 miles from his home. I have learned that teaching yourself how to do something is harder but you will appreciate it more.

Not 100% sure that you can paint the truck by yourself, but you can get it as close to complete as possible. who knows, invest in a spray gun and practice. set up a "booth" and have at it. dont like it.. do it again and the only cost is materials for the most part..

Old 08-04-2013, 12:21 PM
Tobys50
New User
Thanks for the ideas guys. maybe some $$ will get him moving. I'll offer to pay for the materials up front. I thought the same thing Tinman, that he was blowing me off to try and get me to back out first. Thing is the stuff that has been coming up that are keeping him busy are verifiable facts. They're just untimely and inconvenient. I'll stick it out a little while longer and probably gripe until it happens, lol! I don't have the time or the resources to give it a go myself so I guess I'm painted into a corner here,...pun intended.

-Toby