Sponsored by: DP Tuner

No start shortly after HPOP replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 10:35 AM
NUKFYRSQ
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool No start shortly after HPOP replacement

New to the forum, lurking for a couple of months. Have been using FTE to trouble shoot my truck. 2000 F350 auto cc 4x4 w/240000miles, original owner. Superchips programmer (noticed most are not fans) w/K&N. Starting about two months back truck presented classic symptoms for failing HPOP; sudden lose of power while driving at highway speeds until it nearly shut down. Then seemed to clear up but not as strong. This failure has been random relative to time and distance of driving. Degraded to the point of would barely start with rough loping idle. Here is the list of what I have done; set program to stock, sent HPOP to Joey for rebuild. Replaced the LPOP with a Melling. Cleaned up and rebuilt the fuel bowel with new o rings and FPR. After working the air out, truck idled strong and smooth. Took it for a test drive ~10 miles - strong and smooth, stuck my foot in it on the way back and at ~75mph it began loosing power and shut down. Same symptoms as before, limped home. Will crank to a loping idle and die. Replaced the ICP sensor with one form a running engine, no change. The old one did have signs of oil in the connector. ICP unplugged same loping short idle and then dies. Even changed the CPS with a new one. Have a new IPR that I have not installed. HPOP reservoir holds correct oil level. No codes except when the ICP is unplugged, read from the programmer.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:31 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
It sounds to me like you've got a restriction in the fuel tank. Plugged screens in the mixing chamber are fairly common. We typically do the in tank mods to eliminate those screens and move the filter outside the tank. Welcome to guzzle's In-tank Hutch Mod Web Page

This was likely your problem all along.

Welcome to FTE

Old 08-03-2013, 11:35 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
I agree with Chris. It probably wasn't the HPOP to begin with, although 240,000 miles it certainly didn't hurt to do what you did. Drop the tank and do the intank mods, you should be all fixed up.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:55 PM
NUKFYRSQ
New User
Thank you gentlemen. My afternoon is now planned for me. I'll let you know the out come. 13 years living at the beach will probably present some fastener challenges under the truck!

Old 08-03-2013, 03:47 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
If you don't have one, get a fuel pressure gauge. It is one of the few things the computer doesn't monitor on our engines. EGT is the other. Gauges are critical when troubleshooting a problem like yours. Glad you are joining us in the forums! Welcome!

Old 08-03-2013, 09:41 PM
NUKFYRSQ
New User
Tank is down and the sending unit/pickup assembly is on the bench. FYI with two floor jacks and a couple pieces of 2x6 I was able to lower my tank part way ~6" and disconnect the electrical lead then lower it all the way down on the jacks. I sat under the truck and cleaned the fuel line connections with WD40 and brake cleaner before removing. However I'm running 35" tires w/2.5" front and 2" rear lift. I don't have a fuel pressure gauge yet but when I ordered my O rings from Diesel O Rings I also added a fitting intending to add a pressure gauge in the near future.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:06 AM
PaulieFL
New User
Originally Posted by NUKFYRSQ
New to the forum, lurking for a couple of months. Have been using FTE to trouble shoot my truck. 2000 F350 auto cc 4x4 w/240000miles, original owner. Superchips programmer (noticed most are not fans) w/K&N. Starting about two months back truck presented classic symptoms for failing HPOP; sudden lose of power while driving at highway speeds until it nearly shut down. Then seemed to clear up but not as strong. This failure has been random relative to time and distance of driving. Degraded to the point of would barely start with rough loping idle. Here is the list of what I have done; set program to stock, sent HPOP to Joey for rebuild. Replaced the LPOP with a Melling. Cleaned up and rebuilt the fuel bowel with new o rings and FPR. After working the air out, truck idled strong and smooth. Took it for a test drive ~10 miles - strong and smooth, stuck my foot in it on the way back and at ~75mph it began loosing power and shut down. Same symptoms as before, limped home. Will crank to a loping idle and die. Replaced the ICP sensor with one form a running engine, no change. The old one did have signs of oil in the connector. ICP unplugged same loping short idle and then dies. Even changed the CPS with a new one. Have a new IPR that I have not installed. HPOP reservoir holds correct oil level. No codes except when the ICP is unplugged, read from the programmer.
Any Update on this??
I am having the same issue. Idle has been rough at times. Once in a while On the highway truck seems to just power down. Pull it over with WOT will not exceed 1000 rpm. Let it sit, restart all is ok Until last night when it did it. sat for a while. restart drive 1000 ft. this time cut out like I shut the key off. Tried going again and never would restart. Broke down on a bridge.
Yes had to get towed where i was sitting. Have replaced a cps 6 months ago. This was a good one where it wouldn't stall with the wipers on Maybe another? I can't afford to just throw parts at it and new in town and don't know anyone with a scanner....... Never throws a check engine light? really confused
Stock e99 f350 185k

Old 08-05-2013, 01:57 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Just because the check engine light isn't coming on, doesn't mean the computer isn't logging what is going on with what is called "soft codes". Pure speculation as to what is going on without monitoring some numbers in real time on your engine. This forum is great place to start for meeting someone near you in the Florida Chapter that could help you out with that.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:47 PM
01f5504x4
New User
I replaced everything having to do with the high pressure oil pump.It was needed.Then 6 months later I had the same problem with truck not starting,but this time when unplugging the ICP sensor it would start enough to limp it around the driveway.Service engine light didn't come on[other than when ICP was unplugged].It took some diggin for a stoered code but one was found....The problem turned out to be the wiring harness inside the valve covers for the injecters.That made the second time the harness was replaced in the 267,000 miles at the time.Now at more than 322,000 miles still going strong....

You need to find someone with a good scan tool to find any stored codes,a cheap parts store hand held works good for gas cars when a service engine light is on but for these diesels to find a stored code you need to really take it to a shop with the right scan tool..

Old 08-06-2013, 10:47 PM
NUKFYRSQ
New User
Update. Completed the Hutch mods in the tank. Reconnected everything with the tank on a set of jacks and leveled it without installing and enough fuel to indicate just under 1/4. On third attempt truck started and has been idling fine with good crisp throttle response, in the driveway, test drives in a day or two. Looking at a couple of options for an inline fuel filter system at a reasonable cost. Leaning toward a spin on canister system from NAPA that's ~$60 less fittings. I'll have some pics when it is done. Couple of lessons learned. I use to tow a 14' tandem axle trailer often with stock tires and suspension on the truck and on several occasions had to tow to the point of the low fuel light <1/8 of a tank with no problem. For the last year I haven't driven the truck much and usually only kept ~1/4 tank of fuel. Recently lifted the truck to fit 35" tires; 2.5" in the front but have not installed the 2" blocks on the rear yet. This has the truck sitting a little lower in the rear than the the front. Have not seen the low fuel light. Point being the float for the fuel level indication is in the rear half of the tank creating a false high fuel reading! I had some power issues before the lift but looking back with feedback from this forum I believe most of my problems were fuel related.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:11 AM
NUKFYRSQ
New User
BTW need to compliment Joey at T-engineering. When I sent him my HPOP it arrived at his shop on a Friday. They rebuilt it and got it back out the door the same day! Also he has been in close contact via email, at my request, while trouble shooting this problem. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

Old 08-07-2013, 06:46 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
You're free to use whatever inline filter you like as long as it's rated for diesel fuel and suction.

I spent some time picking a filter for mine. I even called and spoke with an engineer at Baldwin filters (they were surprisingly accessible and eager to help). From our conversation, I basically followed his advice which was using a min. 100 micron filter to catch large debris to protect the fuel pump and let the factory filter do the filtering job.

After all my research, I ended up using the same one that Diesel Innovations sells in their kit.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:13 PM
Rishsd
Senior User
Originally Posted by PaulieFL
Any Update on this??
I am having the same issue. Idle has been rough at times. Once in a while On the highway truck seems to just power down. Pull it over with WOT will not exceed 1000 rpm. Let it sit, restart all is ok Until last night when it did it. sat for a while. restart drive 1000 ft. this time cut out like I shut the key off. Tried going again and never would restart. Broke down on a bridge.
Yes had to get towed where i was sitting. Have replaced a cps 6 months ago. This was a good one where it wouldn't stall with the wipers on Maybe another? I can't afford to just throw parts at it and new in town and don't know anyone with a scanner....... Never throws a check engine light? really confused
Stock e99 f350 185k
Where in FL are you I have a infinity from DP that will do everything a AE will do except change tire size. I live in Kissimmee.