Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BOUGHT ALL NEW OEM PARTS FROM FORD STILL CODE 629

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 07:51 AM
knotEdog
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool BOUGHT ALL NEW OEM PARTS FROM FORD STILL CODE 629

Well Wed. I went to Ford and bought all new OEM parts that could be a possible problem and reason I am getting 629 code. I bought:

New transmission Harness ; New solenoid pack ; new MLPS ; New Torque Convertor ; new di-electric grease ; new vss ; new filter ; 16 qts fluid.

Finished putting it all in this morning, and still I have a code 629 !!!!!

as soon as the relays click and the fuel pump whines the first code out of the gate during KOEO is 629 then 629 then 1 then 11.

ANYBODY EVER HAVE THIS HAPPEN? O/D STILL HAS NEVER FLASHED AND I
HAVE REPLACED ALL REAR BULBS AND CHECKED FUSES. The only 2 that have no power on either side are in the engine compartment fuse box 5 amp and 5 amp LH AND RH TRAILER LIGHTS .

Old 08-03-2013, 09:24 AM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,164 Likes on 919 Posts
It would be much easier for others to provide input if you would stick to one thread. You started asking for advice here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...y-own-***.html

You were given some suggestions and troubleshooting methods in that thread. I also tossed out the idea the driver transistors in the Torque Converter clutch circuit (inside the PCM) may be damaged. With all the parts you tossed at this problem that is about the only thing left.

You could hook your meter up to the signal wire, run the KOEO test then observe if there is any voltage applied. It may take several tries to capture because of the sample time on most DVMs. Compare the findings by using the same technique on a different signal to the transmission such as Solenoid 1, 2, etc. This is one of those situations where an oscilloscope would be very handy.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:33 AM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You need to stop throwing parts at it, and actually do some diagnostics. Start by getting a multimeter, and checking continuity between the solenoid connector, and the TCC lockup pin on the main ECU connector. Then verify that you are getting battery voltage down to the correct pins on the transmission connector.

E4OD pinout here: http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/j...DConnector.gif

You can find your EEC pinout here: Ford Fuel Injection

Old 08-03-2013, 11:13 AM
knotEdog
Junior User
Originally Posted by Lead Head
You need to stop throwing parts at it, and actually do some diagnostics. Start by getting a multimeter, and checking continuity between the solenoid connector, and the TCC lockup pin on the main ECU connector. Then verify that you are getting battery voltage down to the correct pins on the transmission connector.

E4OD pinout here: http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/j...DConnector.gif

You can find your EEC pinout here: Ford Fuel Injection
Thanks for the input, i guess I'm just bummed because my wife and daughters are already up in alaska and I was supposed to be there already with all their things. going on day39

checked all solenoids per the ATSG pinpoint test all ohm at 20 ohms

checked engine ground to pin 4 p/y and pin 5 br/o no continuity

applied power to pins 2 3 4 5 and could hear solenoids activate.

maybe PCM relay is faulty ?

Old 08-03-2013, 12:57 PM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts
should have just swapped in a manual trans. cost the equivalent of peanuts, just a bit of labor.

Old 08-03-2013, 02:13 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Check for continuity between Pin 4 on the transmission connector, and pin 53 on the EEC main connector.

The EEC main connector is located on the drivers side of the firewall. It's a big rectangular connector with a bolt in the middle. Undo the bolt, and the connector should come out.

Old 08-03-2013, 05:38 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All the time & money you could of had a shop fix it & you would of been on your way.

Craig

Old 08-04-2013, 04:33 AM
knotEdog
Junior User
Originally Posted by kermmydog
All the time & money you could of had a shop fix it & you would of been on your way.

Craig
You name a reputable shop within 100 miles of my truck and I'll eat a bug.
Shops around here suck hind teat. Before you know it your vehicle is setting on blocks in their yard with a mechanics lien on it. I may be spending some money but I usually am driving it around at the end of the day. Though it shifts like crap. Any thoughts on voltage spikes from the Alternator? I saw my ALT gauge do a couple of two steps today.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:45 AM
knotEdog
Junior User
Exclamation UTOH-AHCRAP

Originally Posted by '89F2urd
should have just swapped in a manual trans. cost the equivalent of peanuts, just a bit of labor.
I have been contemplating that very idea, except for one down fall caused
by a friendly IED. It would be something to see which wore out first

plus my kids are almost old enough to drive and it hard for them to do more than two things at once.

Last edited by knotEdog; 08-04-2013 at 05:45 AM. Reason: VISUAL AID FOR NOT SWAPPING OUT TO MANUAL TRANS YET
Old 08-04-2013, 04:58 AM
knotEdog
Junior User
Check for continuity between Pin 4 on the transmission connector, and pin 53 on the EEC main connector.

The EEC main connector is located on the drivers side of the firewall. It's a big rectangular connector with a bolt in the middle. Undo the bolt, and the connector should come out.
The purple and yellow wire? At the firewall block for the PCM ? With harness unplugged from the trans and the PCM or back probe (duh nevermind backprobing would give me circuit resistance or voltage) Okay I'll check that and report back.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:20 AM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by knotEdog
I have been contemplating that very idea, except for one down fall caused
by a friendly IED. It would be something to see which wore out first

plus my kids are almost old enough to drive and it hard for them to do more than two things at once.
I couldn't get the pics to load, but I think I get the drift. you're a tough fella.

there is one precious result being overlooked here whose benefits, in the end, far outweigh the costs required to achieve said results along the way. whats this '89f2urd!? experience and knowledge is priceless. I've never paid anyone to work on anything of mine. . .if you don't start by changing an oil you'll likely never build a motor. . . it may be frustrating, but you'll be that much more capable as a result of the process.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:25 AM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
The purple and yellow wire? At the firewall block for the PCM ? With harness unplugged from the trans and the PCM or back probe (duh nevermind backprobing would give me circuit resistance or voltage) Okay I'll check that and report back.
Yes the P/Y wire. Just keep in mind that the wire may still not be purple and yellow at the PCM connection. Luckily numbers are embossed into the end of the connector, so you should be able to count them out.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:55 AM
knotEdog
Junior User
Exclamation

Yes the P/Y wire. Just keep in mind that the wire may still not be purple and yellow at the PCM connection. Luckily numbers are embossed into the end of the connector, so you should be able to count them out.
SORRY it tooks so long, There is continuity between pin 4 of solenoid pack harness connector purple/yellow wire unplugged and PCM main harness pin 53 also purple/yellow wire with PCM harness unplugged.

Question? How could I be getting code 629 during the KOEO which from reading in here is a TORQUE CONVERTER CIRCUIT FAILURE caused by PCM reading excessive slippage condition from TCC if I havent even started the Vehicle?

Old 08-05-2013, 07:04 AM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Question? How could I be getting code 629 during the KOEO which from reading in here is a TORQUE CONVERTER CIRCUIT FAILURE caused by PCM reading excessive slippage condition from TCC if I havent even started the Vehicle?

The ECU does a electrical check of its system just before you start the engine. Sounds like you have a shorted wire somewhere. Or possible a bad ECU(shorted driver for that circuit)

You said you have continuity from the ECU pin 53 to the transmission connector pin 4. But did you check for continuity with other pins of the ECU to that pin 53? There should be no other continuity with any other pin with ECU and transmission harness disconnected. If that is good. Then replug the ECU back in(hope you had the battery disconnected during these testes). Remeasure continuity again from the ECU pin 53 to other pins. It will be hard to back probe the ECU harness in place, but I use a straight pin to poke into the wire. There should be no continuity, if so, then the ECU is bad.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:02 AM
knotEdog
Junior User
Originally Posted by Eddiec1564
The ECU does a electrical check of its system just before you start the engine. Sounds like you have a shorted wire somewhere. Or possible a bad ECU(shorted driver for that circuit)

You said you have continuity from the ECU pin 53 to the transmission connector pin 4. But did you check for continuity with other pins of the ECU to that pin 53? There should be no other continuity with any other pin with ECU and transmission harness disconnected. If that is good. Then replug the ECU back in(hope you had the battery disconnected during these testes). Remeasure continuity again from the ECU pin 53 to other pins. It will be hard to back probe the ECU harness in place, but I use a straight pin to poke into the wire. There should be no continuity, if so, then the ECU is bad.
Did not check any other PCM harness wires to pCM 53 only trans Pin 4.
But Im on it right after I take a 30 min break to soak my leg. Its a bitch getting under truck and into engine compartment. Will post findings

GONE TDY 30 min

Quick Reply: BOUGHT ALL NEW OEM PARTS FROM FORD STILL CODE 629