Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Trans issues

Old 08-02-2013, 10:56 AM
Brandon150
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans issues

I just did a search and found lots of threads about transmission issues but I want to post my specific situation.

my ecoboost has alsmo 70k miles on it. Somewhere between 60k - 65k I noticed for the first time something that felt like the transmission was slipping. The first time it happened was in the winter time, truck was warm and I was in manual mode as I usually am, and in 2nd gear around 3500RPM the trans felt like it slipped multiple times quickly then the symbol for the motor came up on my dash. I got to the red light and shut the truck down, started back up and it was fine.
A few times since then, and in warmer weather, the trans has felt like it was slipping. Pretty much the same situation, manual mode, either 3rd or 4th gear, I put the pedal down and between 3000 and 4000 RPM it starts slipping. The light has come on a few times when this happened and once or twice the light didn't show.

Right now the truck has been at Ford for four days. Of course the technician can't recreate the problem which is something I asked when dropping off, if he can't recreate then what?? They said he should be able to find a code, well he didn't. Just got off the phone with the technician, I'm going to pick up the truck today so I can use it this weekend then take it back to him next week and take him for a ride.

So in the mean time I'm driving a Dodge Journey.... and some guy is flogging my truck up and down the road... oh well, figures. Hope there's still some gas in the tank. I might see if I can film the dash while driving it this weekend to see if the engine light will come on.
Technician said roughly 10 cycles of the key could have cleared the code. I probably cycled about 100 times since it happened last... 70k miles in two years...

Old 08-02-2013, 11:09 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Sheesh sorry to hear about your troubles and hope they get it fixed for you.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:40 PM
Brandon150
Senior User
So this is the first time the light has stayed on for so long. This light was flashing then stayed on, shut truck off and 5 hours later it was still on.
Here's what the book says about the engine symbol.

Service engine soon:
Solid illumination after the engine is started indicates the on-board diagnostics system has detected a malfunction. If the light is blinking, engine misfire is occuring which could damage your catalytic converter. Drive in a moderate fashion avoid heavy acceleration and deceleration and have your vehicle serviced immediately by your authorized dealer.

The sad thing is, as soon as I picked up my truck yesterday and they hadn't found a damn thing wrong with it, I punched the throttle and at about 3500 RPM it started acting up, lights flashing.. soooo did your service tech even drive the truck?? So anyways it appears to be a missfire... now back to Ford...

Old 08-03-2013, 10:09 PM
efx4
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The misfire has to throw a code, as when the check engine light blinks, it's a bad misfire. As far as the transmission slipping, that was a not too common 2011 issue. My oldest son is a Ford service tech and I asked him about the issue and he said it was usually a torque convertor related issue and that it would need to be addressed sooner than later to prevent transmission damage. I believe I have read a thread on here at one time about the transmission problem, maybe do a search.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:19 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Brandon150
...Somewhere between 60k - 65k I noticed for the first time something that felt like the transmission was slipping. The first time it happened was in the winter time, truck was warm and I was in manual mode as I usually am, and in 2nd gear around 3500RPM the trans felt like it slipped multiple times quickly then the symbol for the motor came up on my dash....
Hi Brandon150,

I can assist by getting your regional customer service manager involved; just send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name. I'll get the ball rolling.

Crystal

Old 08-08-2013, 07:45 PM
Brandon150
Senior User
There was a rodent nest underneath the plastic ecoboost cover that goes on the top of the engine. It was on the left side of the engine near around the fuel pump and the techician is thinking that was causing the problem all though I haven't gotten the official word yet. Apparently they had to order some kind of cover that needs replaced and should be in tomorrow. If it was due to rodents it won't be covered under warranty.
They showed me a picture of the nest. I'm not sure what cover it is that they are replacing or what was wrong with the original one, or even how it could cause a missfire, or why it would only missfire starting at 3500 RPMs..... So many questions to be answered. The Ford rep. that contacted me a few posts above has been a great help and it's really a nice service, I wasn't aware of it until they contacted me. Anyways I hope it gets fixed, I hope things are explained to me in some detail, and I hope it doesn't cost too much.
Can't wait to get my truck back!