N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

Hot August all topic...

Old 08-22-2013, 10:33 AM
FI460
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's another vehicle to pay insurance and registration on though and these 3/4 and 1 tons aren't cheap in california.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:44 AM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jim My crew cab has been great, even when traveling or for just work I can get my tools out of the rain or take a nap while the wife drives, as far as the duelly remember tolls on each wheel will cost a lot more to get across the bridge, also not to talk you out of it but the extra wheel sticking out if not use to it catches on curbs, parking in the north fourty. the 3/4 ton / 1 ton will haul anything you want and there really not that bad, oil and coolent changes are more because of the amount of time required I'm use to that now, jiffy lube lets me know and I go get the 5w 40 rottella synthetic and OEM filters and do it my self. same with ford gold coolent and OEM fuel filters. A buddy has a Bio fuel machine for sale for anybody to look at and the next hog we butcher will make a few gallons for ya

Old 08-22-2013, 05:27 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 120 Likes on 116 Posts
I have heard the upkeep on a diesel is more expensive than a gas powered truck, but the gas powered truck uses a lot more gas to haul or tow the same thing. So I guess it is a toss up as to which one to get. However, I would be fooling myself if I bought the crew cab for a daily driver over the Bronco. That is why I am leaning towards a Ranger or Explorer for daily driver, and the crew cab, or super cab dually as the work vehicle. I plan on starting a car/truck flipping business, and the expense of the dually will be factored into the price of the vehicles being sold.

One thing I can say though is I am torturing myself by looking at vehicles now, when I don't have the next check yet. I got up early this morning and went to the local supermarket which is 2 miles away. Right by the railroad tracks I spotted a pristine '94 Eddie Bauer white/tan Explorer for the ridiculous price of $1,950. That thing would easily sell for $2995 on Autotrader. I know because the Limited I found in Newport Beach is in the same condition for that price. And this EB Explorer is a 4x4 to boot. With the price that low, I know it will not last until I get my check so there is no reason to even bother calling the person. I may call them when I get the check to see if it is still for sale, but with that low a price I don't expect it to be.

I doubt I will spend $6,000 on that crew cab PSD I saw on Autotrader. I am sure it is worth the money, but that would be a purchase to make after the business is up and running. I could buy the white one on Craigslist for $1,000 and buy a starter for it. I am going to email the guy and see if there is any issues with the registration, and ask him why he has not tried to get a duplicate title from the DMV. If it has not been registered for months, or even years, I will pass on it. I am not going to pay for someone else's back fees. One thing that may make me change my mind is the width of the dually's rear wheels. I don't know if it would fit in my driveway since these mobile homes are crammed in here like sardines.

Yeah, I am sure a SRW F350 would do everything I need it to, even a standard cab model would suffice. However, to me, a crew cab dually just screams TRUCK. Realistically it is more than I will ever need, unless I lose my mind totally and decide to buy a 5th wheel trailer like I had planned on doing before I moved into the mobile home park. However, sometimes logic goes out the window when looking for a vehicle. LOL. I could look for a SRW crew cab that is a 4x4, but then what would I need the Bronco for? Since I have put so much money into the Bronco already I really don't want to get rid of it. If the EB Explorer is still available when the check arrives I would buy that in a heartbeat even though it is a 4x4, but that would be an easy profit making vehicle, and not kept as a daily driver.

Jim

Old 08-22-2013, 08:27 PM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 683 Likes on 396 Posts
Since I have put so much money into the Bronco already I really don't want to get rid of it.

Tell me about it At least it was a business expense and feel no ill will. I actually liked it but I caught so much flak, you know the rest.
Do not however buy a diesel Jim unless you plan to tow stuff. Waste of money as a daily driver. Granted mine gets better mileage than all 3 of my Fords and my wifes 4-runner it`s just not worth it for ya. I`m looking at a Vw TDI for me soon and a new Mustang for Jt even sooner, although I procrastinate too much

Old 08-22-2013, 08:29 PM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 683 Likes on 396 Posts
Cars for Sale: 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 in Hayward, CA 94544: Sport Utility Details - 347825595 - AutoTrader.com

Example ^^ here is a good gas miler that you can easily get in/out of. Sorry its not a Ford but you get the idea and you want something taller so it`s not such a big step up/down

Old 08-22-2013, 11:09 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Yeah, the Bronco is staying. I would never feel good about selling it, and to be honest, it would probably tow most of the vehicles I would be flipping, however, there seems to be a lucrative market for mid 90's Chevy pickups, and I would not want to tow those with the Bronco. So I would need a F250/350, and I know diesels are the way to go for towing. I also know dually's are more stable than single rear tired trucks when towing. What I need to do is figure out just how many times I would actually need the F350's extra strength. If I only use it once or twice a year it would be a waste of money. However, my future partner in this business venture has a brother who is currently flipping an average of one Chevy truck a week (he doesn't put them in his name though). If I get that busy, then yes indeed a F350 would pay for itself over and over. However, my future partner already owns a 1 ton Chevy 4x4 pickup, and tells me he has access to a trailer anytime he wants it. So I may just let him get the big trucks, and I'll get the cars with the Bronco. Then I would just get a Ranger/Explorer as my daily driver. I am looking at those for two reasons, one, they are Ford's and two, I know I can fit into them. I used to own an '88 Ranger 4x4 And, I like the 89-92 Ranger style which the Explorer kept until '94.

Then again, I have never owned a diesel, and would like to own at least one. So I might buy one of those cheap ones and try my hand at maintaining it.

Jim

Old 08-22-2013, 11:34 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good evening gents. It is almost Friday!!!

Old 08-23-2013, 01:15 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Yes indeed. The weekend is just around the corner.

Jim

Old 08-23-2013, 01:49 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Nighteyez
...and I know diesels are the way to go for towing.
Jim, don't discount the V10. They can tow anything a 7.3L PSD can tow, with a lower annual cost for maintenance.

Get a diesel because that's what you want. Don't get it because you don't think the V10 isn't up to snuff for towing heavy loads.

Stewart

Old 08-23-2013, 08:39 AM
joe f350
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Jim, don't discount the V10. They can tow anything a 7.3L PSD can tow, with a lower annual cost for maintenance.

Get a diesel because that's what you want. Don't get it because you don't think the V10 isn't up to snuff for towing heavy loads.

Stewart
till they spit out a spark plug hahaha a idi is a cheap to maintian work hourse its not fast but they will pull anything u hook to them

Old 08-23-2013, 11:02 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

I don't think the V10 was an option in the years I am looking at, (80-86 or 92-97), besides, as stated above, I have no experience with a diesel, and would like to try owning one. And again, it is going to be a business expense, and God willing the business will be a profitable one, and I can just absorb the maintenance costs with the profit I make.

The three Joe linked could all be had for $3,400, and I can then mix and match parts until I get one I want, (and one running one LOL) and then sell the other two to offset the cost. The downside to that option is finding a place to work on them, as I don't live in a house with the room to park them all side by side. I live in a mobile home park with rules against doing any work on your vehicles. The '97 PSD would not need any mixing or matching, but it is almost twice the price at $6,000. If I bought that, I would not be able to get a daily driver until the business starts turning a profit. And, I still don't know if the need would be there. I guess the smart thing to do would be to wait and see just how many Chevy trucks I can find to flip in this area. According to my future partner they sell like hotcakes, and that is what he recommends I start flipping first, hence the need for something to tow them.

Jim

Old 08-23-2013, 03:43 PM
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Posting Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Afternoon Jim and Hank...

ummm.... we got some of your hot weather in the mail... we would like to return it

-The Great

Old 08-23-2013, 06:34 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Hey Clint, no way, no returns allowed.

Jim

Old 08-23-2013, 09:58 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Jim the chevy 350 is a engine you can always find, its the tranny that's garbage ,the newer chevys has the Allison tranny and in reverce that's the only thing chevy has going for them, the 6.0 diesel when takein care of is the better engine with plenty of torq but there's some things you'll need to do to geter right. good luck in your choosing again If you need any help crawling around or hooking my scan Gauge up to a diesel ,Let me know.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:50 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Thanks Scott, if I find something in your neck of the woods, I'll take you up on it. The crew cab in one of the links Joe posted is not for sale anymore. I emailed the guy, and he said he is just going to put a starter on it, and pay the back fees. I also emailed the guy with the standard cab dually in Auberry. That one is $1,500, but he says it has a lot of miles and needs work, so I asked him how many miles, and what work it needs. Just waiting on a reply.

Again, I can't really do anything until the check gets here. I don't really want to promise someone I'll buy their truck, and then have to keep waiting. Maybe I will get lucky and one of the Explorers I am looking at will still be available in a couple of weeks. Especially the one right here in Fresno.

Jim

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hot August all topic...