1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Gear swap done, engine says AHHHH, but I may have been driving a death trap

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 03:11 AM
1965GTFB
Tuned
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Gear swap done, engine says AHHHH, but I may have been driving a death trap

Got rid of the 4.11s that the PO put in my '65 and installed the 3.50s(what the '65 originally had) from the '73 donor. The I6 is much happier on the freeway now.

The death trap part is:
PS rear brakes were a total wet mess from a leaking wheel cylinder that was missing a push rod and had a broken spring that held the adjuster cable. The cam the cable was supposed to ride on was laying in the bottom of the drum.

Both axles had to be replaced due to too much wear on the seal mating surface. Put new bearing on the axles while they were out. Now I have a couple old axles for welding up some yard art or another creative use, any ideas out there?

So did all new rear brakes. Original KH drums had never been turned so that was good news.

Doing the front disc swap from the '75 donor in a couple of months so I thought it best to closely check the front brakes after seeing the condition of the rear PS.

The PS front also had a broken spring to the adjuster lever and the lever was laying down at the bottom with the hook broken off it. Fixed that and repacked the bearings.

While I had the truck on the lift I to so the rear swap I noticed the tranny looked a little tilted. The PS motor mount looked like an ice cream sandwich that had melted and had one side slide half way across the face. Decided to replace both motor mounts and good thing as they both came out in two pieces. Now the motor and tranny sit straight and the clutch Z-Bar is not about to fall out.

Then when I had my wife watch the engine for movement when I started it after the mount install she said "There is stuff leaking from a thing". Not the clearist discription but good enough since stuff leaking from a thing is usually not good. The original fuel pump had decided to start squirting fuel at the joint in the body. New fuel pump installed.

I feel much safer driving it now.

Funny thing is the truck ran and stopped fine before the fixes for the 3 years I've had it. But I learned a lesson, when you buy any thing this old even if it seems to be working fine CHECK IT OUT BETTER when you get it home. All the other old stuff that I have brought home(duaghter's '66 Mustang, son's'68 Mustang, other son's '67 Mustang have gone right into full tear down for restoration) so I got lost sight of checking all systems on some thing that you bring home to drive as is.

Looking forward the disc brake swap.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:22 PM
old broke prospector
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow.... Sounds like the "typical" Okie truck, broken and dangerous but still giving you some go. The brakes usually will not go completely out until you are going downhill towards a busy intersection, a drop off, propane yard, passing train, lake, or deserted coal mine pit filled with deadly snakes. It pays to always plan your route.

This may have been my Uncle's truck.... Was the right rear brake line pinched off with vice grips or hammered flat? He was planning on hammering it flat so he could salvage the vice grips. Was there a bolt welded across the motor mount to level the engine?