Good 400 Rebuild Kits?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 06:09 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I hope that helps, but share whatever you find and we may be able to sort it out.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:30 PM
fordcrzymike
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I finally got some time to spend with the truck this past weekend. When I went to start it up it kept turning over without firing off (probably wasn't getting spark again). I wiggled the wires behind the ignition switch and it started right away, so I'm fairly sure that I need to replace the ignition switch. Once I got the truck running, it ran great and never died. It would shut off and start without hesitation. I tried wiggling the wires while it was running, but it still didn't die. I'll probably just replace the ignition switch and hope that solves my problem. A new Motocraft is only about $20, so it's worth the risk.

I'm still stuck on what I want to do with exhaust. I was considering a dual inlet and dual outlet Magnaflow with an internal x-pipe, but I've heard mixed reviews on how well they flow. I know I would probably be better off doing a separate x-pipe with dual Magnaflows, but I want to keep cost as low as possible, and Magnaflows are expensive. I was also considering running true dual Flowmasters for the old school chambered muffler sound (possibly adding a h/x-pipe). Anyone have any suggestions? I want to spend $300-$400 including parts and labor. I'm guessing my exhuast shop will be roughly $200 for labor (about what it cost on my 97) so I want to keep the cost of parts as low as possible without sacrificing too much on quality or power.

Side note: I was at my uncles house (who I bought the truck from) and my aunt pulled out this picture that was taken when the truck was new. I just thought it was cool and would share it with ya'll. I'm lucky to know the entire history of my truck and hear all of it's stories.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:55 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
That is a cool pic of the truck. I have one of Dad with his truck and I cherish it.

On the exhaust, I'm probably the odd duck here but I don't like the sound of Flowmasters. Too harsh and too loud. I call them Flushmasters. I really prefer the deep mellow tones of the Magnaflows so would spend more to get the sound I want as I'm going to listen to it for a good many years and sure don't want to have a sound I don't like even if it costs a bit less.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:35 AM
BuzzLOL
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
. Yeah, I don't like the sound of Flowmaster stuff either, and the comparison tests I've seen show them not flowing well, either, compared to most others... they just seem to have a 'name'... would go 3" core Summit turbo mufflers, first...

. I stumbled across a pair of new 3" inlet stock Hemi Dodge truck mufflers at a swap for $50/pair, so I'll put them after my Summit headers and connect with welded up 3" S.S. pipes/elbows/bends and 3" S.S. strap clamps...

Old 08-01-2014, 06:34 AM
darknight
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fordcrzymike thank you for the inspiration! I'm literally in the same boat with ya minus your progress on the truck. I'm getting an old family 1978 f250 this weekend, just got wheels for it to drive it home. I've been trying to find info about a rebuild for the 400. This info has been invaluable! Thank you! It's been a nice break to read through this thread. I'm in the middle of finals, I'm taking 4 summer classes so I can be done this Dec with the bachelor's. I've been writing a research paper all night, (it's 5:33 AM!!!). Great to read about your progress with the truck. I'm excited to see what kind of power/mpg you make with the truck. How is it driving power wise now? I can imagine it will lay rubber at will with that kind of power. Keep us updated!

Old 08-01-2014, 11:18 AM
fordcrzymike
Elder User
Originally Posted by darknight
fordcrzymike thank you for the inspiration! I'm literally in the same boat with ya minus your progress on the truck. I'm getting an old family 1978 f250 this weekend, just got wheels for it to drive it home. I've been trying to find info about a rebuild for the 400. This info has been invaluable! Thank you! It's been a nice break to read through this thread. I'm in the middle of finals, I'm taking 4 summer classes so I can be done this Dec with the bachelor's. I've been writing a research paper all night, (it's 5:33 AM!!!). Great to read about your progress with the truck. I'm excited to see what kind of power/mpg you make with the truck. How is it driving power wise now? I can imagine it will lay rubber at will with that kind of power. Keep us updated!
Thanks, I'm glad I could be of inspiration! I defintely understand the struggles of school. I'll be taking my last final as an undergrad today (took 3 summer school classes myself) and that will be the end of my bachelor's degree in Industrial Technology! I got offered a position to be a teacher's assistant (T.A.) and I will be instructing a class in the fall as I pursue my Master's degree in Quality Engineering and Management. Being a TA should cover my tuition costs and hopefully yield a little bit of spending money towards my 79. It looks like the tax payers will be helping me build my truck now!

I can't take all the credit for my build, I would not be where I am now if it wasn't for Gary, BussLOL, and Tim Meyer. They have all been huge assets during my build process. If there is any one piece of advice I could give, it would be to NOT skimp on buying parts. If you think something needs to be replaced, replace it. I definitely went over budget. I have probably about $3500 in my engine, but so far it has been totally worth it. I bought high quality parts, and took my engine to a very high quality (but expensive) machine shop. So far it has all been worth it, I have had only very minor things to address. Everything seems to be working great.

The truck is running great. I don't have many hours on the engine yet, so it's not fully broken in yet. It's for this reason that I have not really laid into the engine to see what she can do. Once I get a few thousand miles on her I will start to really open her up. I've been driving it locally on some back roads around our farm until I'm sure there are no gremlins in the engine. All the truck needs to be totally road worthy are some decent tires, a new fan shroud, and I need to get it to the exhaust shop. Hopefully then I will be able to attest to the fuel economy. Right now it looks pretty poor. I will be sure to keep you all updated.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:28 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Mike - It is my pleasure to help. We are all in this together and your build is an inspiration to me as well since yours is running.

Old 10-05-2014, 10:55 AM
fordcrzymike
Elder User
Hello gents! Long time, no post. Unfortunately I have been very busy with grad school, teaching, and work so I have not had a lot of time to get much done on the truck. I'm able to drive it about once a week and have done the first oil change a few weeks ago (everything looked great). This past weekend I finally got the exhaust all buttoned up. I did the flowtech long tube headers, went to a 2.5" reducer, ran 2.5" true dual tubes into two VX series mufflers (flowmaster knock offs) then went 2.5" pipe 45'd out behind the rear tires into two 3.5" stainless steel tips. The exhaust shop did a fantastic job. One of the cleanest jobs I've ever seen (on something other than a show car). So far I am very pleased with the sound. It's not too loud, but has a great tone and very little drone in the cab.

Picking it up from the exhaust shop:

The rear exit:

I'll try to get some better pictures soon.

Old 10-05-2014, 11:10 AM
fordcrzymike
Elder User
I have, however, ran into a problem. My engine has developed a valvetrain tick on the top side of the engine. I'm worried that my Comp Cams XE256 cam is too aggressive for my stock rockers and push rods. I haven't had time to dig into the engine yet, but it's starting to look like some roller rockers are in my future.

I think these are the rockers that Tim recommends: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sc...view/make/ford

I obviously won't be buying anything until I tear into the engine and see what's going on. I was just hoping to get some input so I know what to expect.

Old 10-05-2014, 01:17 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Yes, those are the ones he recommends. I have a set I got from him, but haven't finished the engine build yet so don't know how they'll work.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:17 AM
fordcrzymike
Elder User
I pulled the valve covers off yesterday and everything checked out okay. There wasn't any gaps between any push rods, valves, or rockers. All rockers were nice and tight on their pedestal. It does not appear to me that there is any binding in the valve-train. I'll probably call Tim today and try to get his input on it, but maybe I'm just being paranoid. I know I should expect to hear a little bit of valve-train noise, but I guess I don't know what an acceptable amount is. I'd rather not spend ~$300 on roller rockers if I don't need to.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:20 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Good plan to call Tim. But you may be hearing what I'm hearing on Rusty - just a bit of valve train noise, and specifically on the driver's side. Not a lot, but just a bit with the hood up and the engine idling.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:26 AM
fordcrzymike
Elder User
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Good plan to call Tim. But you may be hearing what I'm hearing on Rusty - just a bit of valve train noise, and specifically on the driver's side. Not a lot, but just a bit with the hood up and the engine idling.
You just described what I'm hearing exactly. There is slight valve-train noise on both sides, but the drivers side is slightly louder. I'll be sure to post back with what Tim says. With my cam I know I should expect to hear slightly more noise than stock, hopefully what I'm hearing is an acceptable amount and not an indication of a problem.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:36 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
How much oil pressure do you have at idle? If it is as mine is, about 15 psi at hot idle, what does this diagram tell you?

Old 10-06-2014, 11:35 AM
fordcrzymike
Elder User
I haven't hooked up my aftermarket gauges yet. The factory oil pressure gauge (with a new sensor) indicates that oil pressure is usually around the "R" in "NORMAL" at idle, so it seems fairly high to me.

Quick Reply: Good 400 Rebuild Kits?