Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding cab lights?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 08:27 AM
Fastback460
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Adding cab lights?

I've have been thinking about adding some cab lights on my truck for awhile now. But I want to get the factory style one's with a clear lens and an amber bulb. I have seen them on LMC Truck, but I don't want to get them, and then they start leaking or I have other issues with them.
Has anyone else ever used them from LMC? And have you had any trouble with them?
I'm not worried about the installation because I would have a pro put them in.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:49 AM
joegeds
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am interested in doing this as well, though I would be doing the install. I have a '96 - did those factory lights have a clear lens and amber bulb? I did not know that. Are you doing LED lamps or old school lamps? I'm looking at LMC catalog right now, and there are two styles that come clear with amber LED lamps: 49-3721 and 49-3704. Here's the catalog page. Which ones are more accurate factory lights?

Truck Parts and Truck Accessories

Old 07-30-2013, 12:47 PM
Big_Red_Brute
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 49-3700's are the factory style lights for these trucks. The 49-3721 (2 over) are the clear versions. Use clear silicon on the screws and around the wiring to keep them from leaking. Incase you were wondering, no Ford did not offer clear versions from factory, they were all amber.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:43 PM
Fastback460
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Big_Red_Brute
The 49-3700's are the factory style lights for these trucks. The 49-3721 (2 over) are the clear versions. Use clear silicon on the screws and around the wiring to keep them from leaking. Incase you were wondering, no Ford did not offer clear versions from factory, they were all amber.
I didn't think Ford ever made clear one's from the factory. But I wanted to go with clear for mine since I already swapped turn signals for clear lenses, but I like the factory style.

Originally Posted by joegeds
I am interested in doing this as well, though I would be doing the install. I have a '96 - did those factory lights have a clear lens and amber bulb? I did not know that. Are you doing LED lamps or old school lamps? I'm looking at LMC catalog right now, and there are two styles that come clear with amber LED lamps: 49-3721 and 49-3704. Here's the catalog page. Which ones are more accurate factory lights?

Truck Parts and Truck Accessories
I was thinking the 49-3721. They look the same as the factory one's only they are clear with what looks like a chrome base. And they come with LED amber bulbs.
I also plan on having all five lights spaced evenly like the factory look, I'm not a fan of having the three center lights closer together.

I could install them myself, but I'm just hesitant to start drilling holes in my roof .

Old 07-30-2013, 03:44 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ford originally offered Amber lenses with clear bulbs, personially I like clear with amber bulbs, but I prefer to use amber lenses with amber bulbs (especially if im going to use LED bulbs) however I also am the type that will say, if it didn't come from the factory already like that don't do it, its just prone to leak over time, unless you can have it done professionally and properly.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:58 PM
joegeds
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Fastback460
And they come with LED amber bulbs.
I like the LED lights too, but I'm afraid they will be so much brighter than all of the stock lights - including headlights. I just might have to upgrade to all LED and halogen so the new cab lights don't seem so bright!!

Old 07-30-2013, 04:09 PM
Fastback460
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Jaime74656
Ford originally offered Amber lenses with clear bulbs, personially I like clear with amber bulbs, but I prefer to use amber lenses with amber bulbs (especially if im going to use LED bulbs) however I also am the type that will say, if it didn't come from the factory already like that don't do it, its just prone to leak over time, unless you can have it done professionally and properly.
I've been going back forth with doing this for over a year now, for that same reason. I don't want to have trouble with them down the road.
But I do plan on having it professionally done, so I shouldn't have any problems If I get them installed.

Originally Posted by joegeds
I like the LED lights too, but I'm afraid they will be so much brighter than all of the stock lights - including headlights. I just might have to upgrade to all LED and halogen so the new cab lights don't seem so bright!!
LOL....I was thinking the same thing, But I'm not sure If LMC offers that style of light without LED bulbs.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:22 PM
FordTruckfan89
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
best thing would be to find another truck to get measurements, and the harness from. And paint after all the holes are drilled to prevent rust. I tried 194 leds in mine, and they weren't as bright as the 194 incandescent beside them. just go with amber bulbs, I'm fairly sure several of the bulbs in mine were the original ones.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:49 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Here is the way to put them on like the factory. It is ALL plug and play, other than drilling the holes in the roof.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ab-lights.html

As for the clear LMC lights, I have herd of a couple people having issues with them, but LMC made good on them.
The one thing I dont like about them is you have to cut into your stock wiring because they do no have plugs on them.

I have clear OE looking cab lights from APC(no longer made) w LED bulbs in then. SO I ahd to cut nothing

Old 07-30-2013, 04:54 PM
Fastback460
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
Here is the way to put them on like the factory. It is ALL plug and play, other than drilling the holes in the roof.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ab-lights.html

As for the clear LMC lights, I have herd of a couple people having issues with them, but LMC made good on them.
The one thing I dont like about them is you have to cut into your stock wiring because they do no have plugs on them.

I have clear OE looking cab lights from APC(no longer made) w LED bulbs in then. SO I ahd to cut nothing
I actually came across your thread awhile back, It's a really nice write up. But I don't think I want to be the one to drill the holes in the roof.
And isn't there also a wire for these behind the passenger kick panel?

Why do some of our trucks have these lights and some don't? Did Ford have reasons why certain one's had them from the factory, or was it just a feature when ordering them new?

Old 07-30-2013, 04:59 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Fastback460
Why do some of our trucks have these lights and some don't? Did Ford have reasons why certain one's had them from the factory, or was it just a feature when ordering them new?
Just an option like everything else.

Dually were the ONLY truck to get them standard because of federal regulations on width

Yes, there is a 2 pin plug behind the passenger kick panel for the power and ground for the cab lights

Old 07-30-2013, 05:15 PM
Fastback460
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
Just an option like everything else.

Dually were the ONLY truck to get them standard because of federal regulations on width
I figured they were just an option, But I didn't know they were required on dually's

Thanks.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:00 PM
Big_Red_Brute
Tuned
I will repeat my previous comment. If you use some clear silicon when installing these lights, they won't leak.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:25 PM
parkerparkerm
Elder User
I will repeat my previous comment. If you use some clear silicon when installing these lights, they won't leak.
a good life lesson is if it leaks and it shouldnt, use silicone.
its one of my 3 main life rules along with duct tape and wd40.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:43 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
If they are installed correctly, they will not leak and Not need silicone

Quick Reply: Adding cab lights?