Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck died and wont start...help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 10:19 PM
Mikracer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck died and wont start...help!

I recently purchased a 95 F250 with a 5.8. Clean truck with 143k miles on it. I noticed that it sounded like a bearing in one of the pulleys was going bad (just made some metallic noise) but didnt think anything of it. On the drive home from work, I stopped by the grocery store and after I started the truck to go home, I noticed that it was a little louder. I thought maybe the sound was reflecting off the car next to me so I decided to keep driving home. About a half mile down the road I heard some CRAZY screeching go on from the engine so I pull over and turn the truck off. I thought maybe the belt had snapped and was stuck between two pulleys still but when I looked under the hood, the belt was still intact. The engine bay smelled like burnt rubber or burnt something, so I'm thinking (hoping) one of the accessory drives locked up.

After I inspect things, I tried to start the engine again but the starter wont even click. Seems as though all my electronics still worked but the engine wont even try to start. Anyone have any thoughts as to what it might be? I had the truck towed to a shop that has worked on it before but it was after hours and only a book keeper was there. I'm hoping it isnt anything major but any advice would be helpful.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:45 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It could be anything from a froze up engine to a burned up starter. Who knows with only the info you gave.
I'm sure the shop will figure it out.

Craig

Old 07-29-2013, 10:51 PM
Mikracer
New User
Originally Posted by kermmydog
It could be anything from a froze up engine to a burned up starter. Who knows with only the info you gave.
I'm sure the shop will figure it out.

Craig
Oil pressure was good and how would a starter make that noise on a running engine when it wasn't being engaged?

I'm looking for constructive help from people that may have experienced something like this. Could a bad EEC cause the no start issue?

Old 07-29-2013, 11:58 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
How do you know the bendix wasn't engaged, it could of stuck engaged or part? Ford computers are seldom ever the problem. Without codes everything is a guess.
The other option is to use the forum search for someone with the same issue.

Craig

Old 07-30-2013, 12:41 AM
Ranger80
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've only seen a couple of these trucks fry the computer myself, but the starter circuit is independent of it. Something's definitely froze up, whether it be the starter or the engine itself. A bad screeching like that could have possibly been your mains.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:49 AM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikracer
Oil pressure was good and how would a starter make that noise on a running engine when it wasn't being engaged?

I'm looking for constructive help from people that may have experienced something like this. Could a bad EEC cause the no start issue?
Oil pressure was good meaning there was at least 7 PSI, enough to trip the factory pressure switch and make the gauge read normal... not enough to keep a running engine happy.

The problem with the factory gauge is that it's just a go/no-go indicator, not an indication of actual pressure. It can be made to work as a real gauge, but I doubt anyone did it to yours.

What I would do is start with the easy check and take the belt off, then see if the engine turns over. If not, then unbolt the torque converter and slide the transmission back, check again and see if the engine turns (you'll have to turn it by hand at this point). If it ain't free at this point, it's probably junk but you may be able to save it depending on the damage inside.

Good luck with it, and whatever it is I hope after it's fixed you enjoy your new truck.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:01 AM
JRSutton
Senior User
If you're lucky, you lost your alternator and the battery died. (battery can still have enough juice to power electronics, but not even click the starter)

If you're unlucky, you spun a crank bearing and you're looking at complete rebuild or a new engine.

Almost impossible to say without more details.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:40 AM
Bowtie_Schmowtie
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dixie460
If not, then unbolt the torque converter and slide the transmission back, check again and see if the engine turns (you'll have to turn it by hand at this point).

Leave the belt on for the time being.

There is a bolt on the crank pulley... Just get on that with a socket and a breaker bar and try to turn the engine by hand. If it turns but turns really, really hard or you hear squeaking as it turns, remove the belt and see if you can turn each of the accessories by hand. Obviously, the one that does not turn will be your culprit. It also helps to have a buddy to watch each accessory as you turn the engine so he can actually see if one is not turning. If the engine doesn't turn at all when you get on that crank bolt, remove the belt and try again. If it still doesn't turn, it may be that something internal went amok. I would still turn all of the accessories by hand just to check them at this point.

Good luck, man. I hope it isn't anything major.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:55 AM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
DOUBLE POST: NEW PHONE...My old one was so much easier...

Old 07-30-2013, 09:01 AM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
I agree with Bowtie. Just loosen the belt from the tensioner, I think its a 17 or 18 mm socket. Then with large breaker bar and 15/16th socket try to turn it over. Could have been the alternator cooking, and overheated the wiring. Seen it happen. Had to wait for the battery to cool and alt since the alternator bearing housing fell apart and nearly grenaded in our 2000 expy. Just for giggles, I checked the inside guts of the alternator with my craftsman thermocouple and it slowed down in temp after reaching 351 degrees. Spin all accessories and check for noise or binding. Let us know what you find out.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:32 PM
meangreen92
Logistics Pro
Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
Alternator might've seized. I had one seize up in a 225,000 mile '82 Mustang GT.
But my money is on the smog pump being seized.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:19 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Well lets see if he posts back, since we didn't fix his issue. "But we guessed great" Ha Ha.

Craig

Old 10-08-2013, 01:22 PM
The1999Beast
Freshman User
Angry same here ...

I got the same thing going on here with my 01 V10. No Loud screeching, just some random, non-continuous metallic "rubbing" after it did start. Now I'll have to see what's what with it. I also thought maybe a bolt may have backed out against the flywheel from inside the bell housing somewhere maybe and is jamming it up. the engine ran fine until it went into no-start mode, even after I put a new starter and battery in it didn't fire up. I hope it's not a junk motor!

142,XXX miles