1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

new member, new project

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 06:43 PM
WNDOPDLR
Cross-Country
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
new member, new project

New member in NC here. I have been lurking on the forum for about a month, but, today, took pics of my newest project to share.

This is my 51 F1 fresh off the farm. Plans for the truck are to remove bed and cab, overhaul the suspension, steering, brakes, and running gear and then put the cab and bed back on just the way they are. Our (my son will be working with me) goal is to have a good running, safe realiable truck that looks just like it does now.

Body work will be minimal with floor patches and cab corner replacements, possibly a new hood if we cannot fix the existing. I have had several pristine hot rods and restorations and always live in fear of the $%^& people with door dings and carelessness when I drive them. We decided not to go that route with this one.

I’m sure as the project progresses we will have many questions and need all the support of other forum members.

Thanks for looking

Old 07-29-2013, 07:15 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 851 Likes on 769 Posts
Nice Patina.

Welcome to the site. What part of NC?. When we're in Stuart, VA we often go to Raleigh area to see daughter and her family.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:22 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Looks like you will have a great project, I like the idea of leaving it looking like it does but with all new running gear. They are fun to drive without worries of a few scratches and dings. What motor and trans are you going with? A new original suspension or all new modernized? And congrats on getting pictures right away!

Old 07-29-2013, 07:26 PM
TireDood
Tuned
Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to FTE from another 51 owner! Looks like fun, now we need more details!

Old 07-29-2013, 07:44 PM
Kurt G.
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Welcome to FTE sounds like fun, remember we love pictures

Old 07-29-2013, 07:45 PM
WNDOPDLR
Cross-Country
GLR...That's funny. My son took delivery of the truck while my wife and I were on vacation. When she saw the first pictures via email, she commented something about it being a "rust bucket" To which I replied. "that, dear, is patina. That may well end up being the project name.

We have no plans to change the suspension, steering or brakes, only to repair/replace what Ford provided a few years back. Seems like most parts are readily available from various sources. The truck still has the original V8 in it and all I can tell you at this point is that the engine turns over with the plugs removed and pushing it in 3rd gear. Once we get the chassis stripped, we will get to working on the drive train.

We are located in Stanfield, NC, just east of Charlotte. This is not my first project and I have learned over the years to take it easy and make it fun. When it quits being fun, I turn out the lights and put the tools away. I suspect that it will be a year or more before we get it on the road.

Thanks for your thoughts and questions everyone, you make a new guy feel welcome.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:37 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Great father-son project. That's worth more than the truck.

You probably already know this, but Dennis Carpenter Ford Reproduction Parts is on HWY 29, between Charlotte and Concord. Practically at your back door.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:47 PM
Rojak
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome... glad you are here with the rest of us addicts! This is a great group. Love to hear about the father/son projects. It is certainly time well spent. My Dad will be 80 soon and I'm still working with him on several Ford projects. Keep us up to date on your progress.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:27 AM
WNDOPDLR
Cross-Country
A lot of you guys have pics of your trucks as an avatar. How do you do that?

Old 07-30-2013, 07:31 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Originally Posted by WNDOPDLR
A lot of you guys have pics of your trucks as an avatar. How do you do that?
Go to "User CP" on the blue bar above.

Go down the menu on the left to "Edit Avatar" under the "Settings and Options" menu.

You can upload a custom avatar there.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:41 AM
GLR
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by EffieTrucker
Great father-son project. That's worth more than the truck.

You probably already know this, but Dennis Carpenter Ford Reproduction Parts is on HWY 29, between Charlotte and Concord. Practically at your back door.
Also, N of the airport off I85:
NPD - Restoring American History | Mustang Parts | Camaro Parts | Chevelle Parts | Ford Truck Parts | T-Bird Parts | Firebird Parts

Old 07-30-2013, 08:35 AM
rustyrelic
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome.... when I first saw the picture of your truck I thought to myself keep it looking just like that. I was happy to read that's your plan.
The father son time is priceless. My father is 82 and we really enjoy are time in the shop together.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:44 AM
GLR
FTE Legend
Here's another source in Germanton.

whitesautosalvage.com

Old 07-30-2013, 10:07 AM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hello, and another welcome from California. I love your project. That F1 is so tough that if somebody tries to give you a door ding it will definitely cause more damage to their car!

So....I'm unclear on your project name...is it "Rustbucket" or "Patina"??

Dan

Old 07-30-2013, 12:13 PM
WNDOPDLR
Cross-Country
It is not definite, but I think it will wind up being called "Patina". Thanks for the leads on parts sources. I had no idea Whites was even there. Looks like a good spot to do a junk yard crawl.

Quick Reply: new member, new project