Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2007+ Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2007+ Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-28-2013, 10:38 PM
New User

advsign is starting off with a positive reputation.
Navigator rough ride after $3000

Picked this up used last week... 110,000 miles.... rode rough....Well a lot of the $3k was for new rotors, pads and calipers..... BUT
New upper and lower control arms and new shocks....Thing still feels like a truck, feels all of the bumps and pebbles in the road.... just like my old F150 felt. I expected more. Shop said the air system was fine.
Am I expecting to much or is there something else that can be checked or replaced?
Regards,
Ken
Old 07-29-2013, 01:06 AM
Senior User

slenser is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Sounds to me like your tires are either too inflated, you have some very hard tires or perhaps the shocks you installed are too stiff.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:08 AM
Freshman User

jimb726 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I can tell you that my Navigator (which doesnt have air suspension) is like riding on a cloud so I can only imagine what the air ride brings to the table.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:43 PM
Senior User

gpfarrell is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well, as you implied new rotors, like fresh paint or new muffler bearings, generally don't improve the ride.

My '07 L rides pretty good. It's not the cloud my 1978 Mercury Marquis is, nor does it hammer like my F250. But it's certainly not objectionable, so I'd bet yours could be better.

Check tire pressures... and even the tires. Check to see if they're more work-truck oriented LT tires, especially with a heavy load-class rating. Tires are always a compromise and yours may be trading comfort for weight capabilities you'll never use.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:09 PM

Beechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to behold
With regards to the quality of ride,.......it is all dependent upon 1 thing "what type of feel does the owner want" and final shock determination is based upon 3 factors:
1. Tires (specific construction)
2. Springs (rate & design including progressive style)
3. Road conditions
1) Koni- Excellent for racing applications- overpriced for street applications
2) Tokico, QA1 & Bilstein- A very good shock for street/strip applications. If you are running very stiff tires on the street (such as Bridgstone or tires with profiles shorter than 50 series), these provide the extra give that you need for both comfort & stability
3) KYB- A very good shock for street/strip applications. If you are running a softer tires on the street (such as BFG or tires with profiles not shorter than 50 series), these provide the extra stiffness that you need for both comfort & stability. The Exel-G’s (formerly GR-2) are the equivalent to the Edelbrock IAS automatic adjusting units. Overall, stiffness between the Gas-a-just and the GR2’s are the same, the difference is the GR-2's valving which stiffens things up from a oem setting to that of the Gas-a-just units.. Best shock for the $/best price typically found at Performance Suspension Technologies (PST) and typically about 1/3 less than Bilstein.
4) Gabriel- A very nice good quality HD OEM replacement type unit.

Monroe- absolute junk- stay far away from this line!

GR2/Excel-G Evaluation
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12...l-for-fx4.html

Posted July 18, 2013 by Oldtimer
I did the same kyb strut and shock switcharoo with the original stuff about a year ago on my 04 FX4...the *** end was bouncing all over the place. It rides and handles great, especially for a 4x4, and it's not nearly as expensive as Rancho or Bilstein.

Posted on July 19, 2013 by MC Davis
She's back! I like the KYB's. The ride is best described as firm but comfortable and not jarring. It's not as soft as the stock ride, but yet it's more controlled. Firm when it needs to be, and plush at the same time.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:09 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2007+ Expedition & Navigator