Sponsored by: Moser

Misfire at idle

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 09:58 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy001
I know what you're talking about, but unfortunately the audio is lousy on that video and you can't hear it.
What are you using to take the video? most newer smartphones typically have noise reduction software built in. You may need to turn that off to get the sound you are looking to show.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:50 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Tom, this was taken off another website which talked about shudder and misfires.

Mode 6 – Find Ford Misfires Before Code Sets

Mode $06 misfire information displayed

Misfires particularly in Ford cars and trucks can many times be identified before a misfire code sets and turns the CEL (Check Engine Light) on. This is a huge time saver, especially when there is a definite misfire felt but the code seems to take forever to appear. Fords take a long time in some cases to run through it’s necessary drive cycles needed for self testing. Auto technicians deal with this common problem of diagnosing misfires on Ford vehicles with no codes set by using Mode $06. Usually only manufacturer specific scan tools will display misfire data when there’s no code, but OBD 2 generic scan tools that can access mode 6 on Ford vehicles can be a great help.

A misfire that hasn’t set a code or even a pending code, could be caused from a fouled spark plug, spark plug wires, ignition coil, injector or some other culprit. The particular cylinder can be pinpointed with the use of mode $06 diagnostics...

They also talked about how lots of owners had spark plugs that were not all gapped correctly. The correct gap should be 0.32. Maybe that would be a good place to start? They also cleared the Misfire Neutral Profile at the dealer.

Here is the thread that talks about it.

http://www.f150forum.com/f38/2011-55...-fixes-128636/

Warning: The thread is OVER 270 pages long!

Old 07-31-2013, 10:39 AM
Christin
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know what you're talking about, but unfortunately the audio is lousy on that video and you can't hear it. Not sure what happened with the audio on that one, but I will try and get a better one tomorrow morning.

It is definitely misfiring; my wife started the truck on that first clip and commented on how much the truck shook.
Like I said mine does the same even the slight shaking at startup. I believe the shaking is just because of the high rpms which is part of the warm up strategy. I had a coil pack go bad last year on cylinder #6 and trust me that misfire was very noticeable. If you are experiencing a misfire you will eventually foul a plug and your truck will run like ****. Mine has been doing the same since new and now have 46k.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:19 PM
klasher
New User
My truck was missing on WOT. The found a cracked spark plug on #3. Ive noticed that using Lucas ethanol protection additive makes it run better...

Old 08-04-2013, 08:08 PM
cnvF250
Senior User
Understand, I am a little bias with my comment because of all the issues I have had with my truck.

Mine does the same thing on start ups. However, mine blows black smoke prior to the white smoke. Mine did not do this until the delay and the attempted fix at the limp-mode issue. Which the TSB did not fix with my truck. I have been through 2 new catalytic converters, a driver side turbo that locked up, and a whole host of other issues.

My lawyer had me take my truck to an expert "witness" and here is one of the things he found. There are 3 MAP sensors on the intake. The one closet to the engine on the drivers side was coated with oil. Sensors like that are not supposed to have oil on them at all. The other 2 were fine. There were 2 other tubes that should have been oil free, but they were coated with oil as well. He took the throttle body off and was amazed at how dirty it was. He said he would expect a truck with 100,000 miles on it to be that dirty, but not one with 20k.

He cleaned the sensor, the tubes, and the throttle body and went on a weekend test run trying to get it to do the limp mode issue again, about 100 miles. Brought it back and took it apart again. Sensor and tubes were oiled up again and the throttle body was sooting up again. The drivers side cat is also starting break down again.

This guy builds engines with turbos for a living and is doing quite well. He seems to know his stuff. He told me the white smoke is not that big of a deal, however, the black smoke is. He thinks it is because of the oil coated sensor. I would have your dealer check that sensor. However, the only fix for it is aftermarket putting a catch can on the hose.

Good luck with your issue.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:59 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Sorry to hear about all your issues Chris...all those problems would make me sick. I really hope you can get your truck fixed and working right again soon.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:44 PM
doocrue
Junior User
Just had mine at the dealer. He can't find a code for the misfire. I started a new one on the lot to see if it was just me. Well, the new one is smooth where mine is rough. Have to wait and see if the problem gets worse.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:16 AM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
Both my 2011 and my new 2013 ecoboosts run really rough when first started. Feels like it is running on only five plugs but since both have did it I assume it's normal

Old 08-19-2013, 01:29 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi everyone!

Shoot me a PM if you're currently experiencing this concern so I can check out some options to help. In order for me to get the ball rolling, please include your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

Thank you!

Crystal

Old 09-03-2013, 11:25 AM
tsd98
Freshman User
Any solutions to this? My 2013 Lariat is going to Ford dealer today due to stumble, miss and black smoke. Also the rotors are warped, something is loose in the steering, myFordTouch is glitchy, drivers door shakes, idler pulley squeaks when cold.... At 13,000 miles! Dropped it off in June and dealer did absolutely nothing after keeping the truck a week. Hope my 4th f-150 isn't my last, but this is disturbing. Please let me know if there is a fix. Thanks!

Old 09-03-2013, 11:45 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Mine went in the shop today for them to take a look, but I don't think mine is anywhere near as bad as what you're describing. I will let you know what they say.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:57 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tsd98
...My 2013 Lariat is going to Ford dealer today due to stumble, miss and black smoke...
Hi tsd98,

PM your info to me so I can look into this. I'll need your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership to get started.

Mine went in the shop today for them to take a look, but I don't think mine is anywhere near as bad as what you're describing. I will let you know what they say.
Keep me in the loop as well, Crazy001. If I can be of further assistance, just let me know.

Crystal

Old 09-04-2013, 09:00 PM
nascar991
Freshman User
Man,i just purchased a new F150 ECO Boost,i hope this is not a bad trend!!!!! and we just purchased a 2014 Escape with ECO Boost......

Old 09-04-2013, 09:12 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by nascar991
Man,i just purchased a new F150 ECO Boost,i hope this is not a bad trend!!!!! and we just purchased a 2014 Escape with ECO Boost......
Congratulations on the new vehicles!

I wouldn't let this bother you. To be honest it doesn't really bother me. My only rational concern is that this few seconds of misfiring every day will add up to a screwed up catalytic converter at some point. But other then 5-10 seconds each day my truck runs great!

Old 09-04-2013, 09:12 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by nascar991
I wouldn't worry about it until it happens...if it ever does. I am sure you will love the ecoboost.

Quick Reply: Misfire at idle