Australia Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: ChunderDownUnder

BREAKDOWN today

Old 07-27-2013, 10:06 PM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BREAKDOWN today

I had to get towed home on a flatbed.

Good news was I was 2k's from home and the tow truck took 10 minutes to get to me.

I suspect the CPS went out, I was driving along happily, the truck had a hiccup - like a backfire, my wife made a disparaging remark, I replied that its never done that before. Then 500 metres later, engine died, coasted onto a medium strip.

Codes:
P0475 - EBPV control valve (deleted EBPV so ignore);
P0344 - Camshaft Position Sensor circuit sensor
P0478 - another EBPV code
P6172 - have to research what this is, wasn't in my code list
P32;7 - not a mistype, another one to research?
P6936 - another not in my codelist.

I'll do a bit of research on the codes. I think I'll be ordering 2 CPS from RR today, and some other stuff.

I got the tow truck to unload the F250 on a slope outside my house, then I coasted it right into the upward sloping garage, so it's under cover waiting for some wrenching.

Any thoughts anyone?

Regards,
SimonC

Old 07-27-2013, 10:40 PM
Aussie BrianB
Senior User
Simmon,
sorry to hear you have problems.
Lucky you were close to home.
Hopes it is something simple like the CPS.
I thought that problem had been solved by
a recall, are they still dodgey?

Old 07-28-2013, 05:31 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
I've cleaned out the EBP tube and sensor & located the CPS and unplugged it waiting for removal.
I will leave a 10mm deep socket in my truck toolbox with a spare CPS. I've ordered 3 CPS's from Amazon dot, 2 BW's and a 'large head' style Motorcraft.

Found a short vid on CPS replacement on U toob:

Also, my truck has never seen the inside of a Ford Dealership since I've owned it (purchased in 2010). I purchased it from the original owner who had a full service history from the Ford Dealership where he had purchased it new - including getting an engine replacement under the just expired warranty -at $22k not charged. I wonder if that was how the dealership replaced the CPS ,probably true!.

Apparently the recall only came out last year - I hadn't heard about it. According to here there has been no F250 CPS recall:
http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/in.../itemId/952864

F250 recalls were for potential underhood smoke/fire from brake fluid leaking onto the cruise control electrics, for vehicles up to & 2003.

Funnily enough, for our 2001 Xtrail we DID receive a recall for the passenger airbag last week. So Nissan seem to have recalls suss'd for 2nd owner vehicles.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:15 PM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

I spoke to Ford re the recall. They couldnt tell me what cps they put in (probably the blue one) and you cant keep the old one. So I told em to take me off the list.
Now your truck. Have you tried to run it again. ?? Is the fuel bowl full ?? Check the connection on your IPR again. And pull the plug on the ICP and make sure it is free of oil. Dont have time to search your codes, will have a look later.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:17 PM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Hi Brian, code search revealed P0344 which points straight at the CPS as the issue.

I haven't checked the ICP and check for oil. My HPOP has only the slightest of leaks but I guess it doesn't take much if the leak is in the right place.

I tried a couple of times a few minutes apart on the verge. No luck.

Fuel pressure gauge still reading normal - just over 60 psi (4 bars) pressure.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:45 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Call up Ford Customer Service to see if your truck has had the recall done: 13 3673
There will typically also be a sticker placed either on the compliance plate, or on the VIN sticker to acknowledge that a recall has been performed on the vehicle.

If they do a recall, all vehicle manufacturers use the data in the states registration services (not what they have on file), so whatever address was listed as the registered location should have received the note to take care of cars that are no longer with their original owners. Either way, there will be a flag in the system as to if the recall was done on your truck or not.

I would also be screaming bloody murder if it is the CPS - if you push hard enough you should be able to get Ford to pay for it on their dime, given it was a recall issue. Also push to get them to pay for the towing as well (although you will be probably pushing chit up hill with that one - still worth a shot... as anything with the word "recall" around it gets looked after pretty well)

Old 07-29-2013, 05:32 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Thanks for your comments. Update - I read the above, spoke to Rockets Sports Trucks (Bryan's fav) - they were very helpful. The guy said he's seen plenty of CPS failures but never seen one stop dead AND not start again. He advised to clear codes, try to restart then check codes, and to press Ford for a CPS replacement. BTW, they also sell the CPS for around $125 - which I think is reasonable - well not gouging anyway.

Well tried, got a nostart with a P0340 CPS sensor circuit error..... duh! Bozo mechanic left the harness unplugged (as stated in post 3 above).

Cleared codes plugged the sensor in and tried again, fired up straight away!!

Now, the question - how reliable is it?

My wife wants her horse towed on Sunday. I've told her if the truck breaks down she could ride the horse the rest of the way. She wasn't that impressed.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:42 AM
WA F250
Junior User
Hey Simon, Sorry to hear the girl stopped dead! Mine stalled last time I was home driving it but restarted straight away so I am guessing mine will be the same?? I did however try to replace it last service with one I purchased from Flea Bay. It was great until 1,800rpm then it would stumble and at 1,900rpm run fine??? After many hours of head scratching I went ahead and changed back to the old one and no stumble??? I smashed that one with a hammer in frustration and ordered another spare from mechanic. I guess I will have to break down and get me another one and do the swap again. When I checked on the recall for my truck they said ahhh no cause its a 2004. but when you read the engine sticker it was built in 2003???? I would hate to do one on the side of the road with everything all nice and toastie!!! Moral of the story, not everything on Flea Bay is going to cut it. Good luck with it all.
ohh and no CEL stayed on either???

Old 07-29-2013, 09:48 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Originally Posted by WA F250
..When I checked on the recall for my truck they said ahhh no cause its a 2004. but when you read the engine sticker it was built in 2003????
All 7.3 trucks were affected, although earlier ones are more likely to have the issue. Call the number I listed (13 3673), and ask them why the recall wasn't done on your truck.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:38 PM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

Got a spare here bruva

Old 07-29-2013, 08:25 PM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Thanks Brian! I will try to guage the reliability of the CPS in the truck. I think my spare ones will arrive AFTER this w/e.

I'll PM you if I if think I need a friendly bail-out.

I rang Ford today (13 3673), spoke to a nice lady, she confirmed the address for the truck is my address, & that there is no outstanding recall against my truck's VIN, and that the only recall against my truck was carried out in 2006 and was for handbrake cable routing.

There was no CPS related recall recorded against my 2005 F250 7.3

Old 07-29-2013, 10:54 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Bummer. I would have assumed they would have recalled all the trucks. I guess not...

Old 07-30-2013, 04:44 PM
aussie_f350
Senior User

I thought they did recall them all? I know of quite a few that did!

Old 07-31-2013, 05:09 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
All I know is my unit did not get the recall - i.e. the CPS recall is not against my truck's VIN as completed or outstanding. I suspect that there was a cut off time remembering that FA sold trucks were made in Brazil from 2004 onwards. So e.g. a recall on all US built 7.3's - therefore considered all 7.3's by our US bros - would not include 2004/5/6 from Brazil - where presumably they had the ungraded CPS. Great theory - except mine still failed...

Local CPS options:
Rocket: $135.00
Dealer: $174.65

International options $A:
RR - Motorcraft from Clay $25.87 + shipping
Amazon CMP from Diesel Care: $26.90 shipped to 48 states
Amazon BW from BiceWholesale $46.63 express shipped to 48 states

Old 08-01-2013, 06:33 AM
Patchy 73
Senior User
Hi,