Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which One Should I Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 01:50 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
yeah i thought the same thing.

2500 here gets you a nice/decent 4x4! w/100-130k

Old 07-29-2013, 02:05 AM
wr310rdr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These guys bring up a good point that im disappointed I didn't bring up earlier.

I flew 400 miles and drove my truck home, its a bit of a gamble but if the seller is motivated they will help you out as best they can with a accurate description and lots of pictures.

here in socal the kind of truck I wanted goes for $4500 I paid 2K and pot $700 bucks into it and I am still money ahead including airfare.

Might not be a bad idea to search outside your local area for a good deal on a 4x2.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:10 AM
tbirdscott
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That was my thinking too, 2wd trucks are about worthless around my parts but 4x4's are all overpriced. Go figure,

It sounds like you do mostly puttering around town with is fine for the 300, I warn you though if you do any amount of highway driving you will not be satisfied with the I6. They just dont hold highway speed well and forget about passing unless your going down hill or have a loooong clear stretch ahead.

I personally wouldnt own another with anything smaller than the 351w. Better mileage in my experience since your foot isnt always to the floor trying to keep up to traffic and you have the power you want when you need it. Maintenance costs and longevity are the same as your other options if cared for.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:11 AM
Wrathaxe
Freshman User
Truck prices ARE insane here, I agree completely. I am working with about $2200, which I THOUGHT would be sufficient. Might have to go back to an import car sigh....

Old 07-29-2013, 09:12 AM
Big_Zach
Freshman User
Are their any auctions in your area, big vehicle auctions, or estate auctions? I bought a 88 F250 130k on it, sitting in gray primer, for just under a thousand. Estate auctions in the country sometimes have trucks where the owner has died and they're liquidating everything. Usually the old guys take good care of their go-to-town-trucks

Old 07-29-2013, 09:22 AM
Wrathaxe
Freshman User
Originally Posted by parkerparkerm
That 2000 isn't bad but holy crap that's a lot of miles for a newer style engine...
Depending on your budget and with the current conditions, I feel you should try and talk the 96 guy down as much as you can and also talk the 95 guy down while it isn't running and get both. I can't speak about the 4.2 v6 in the 2000, but with how most people treat old(ER) trucks 250,000 is a lot to worry about.
@ Parker: 96 guy is good to go for $2000, I can't get him to go even a nickel less. It runs smooth and quiet as advertised, but I just don't know about the mileage. Red interior wouldn't be my first choice but is certainly tolerable for the right truck.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:02 AM
Wrathaxe
Freshman User
Update 2000 F150 dude called me, will take $2k 'today only"...that in itself makes me nervous.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:25 AM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
What part of the Country are you in that 2wd have that kind of value?
Yea, When you have the money you are in control if you want to be. But many get sucked in by talk like today only. Tell him today only you'll give him $1200.
The heck with that. Time is on your side believe me.
Don't force a deal or get forced into a deal, sit back & look. Something will come you way.

Craig

Old 07-29-2013, 10:28 AM
Big_Zach
Freshman User
"Today only" is his way of making you a little itchy. I'm sure in about three days, it'd still be 2k. In all each of these trucks have their ups and downs, and if that money is burning up your pocket, go ahead. They're all gonna have problems. But loving the OBS, I'd go for the older ones, theirs just seems to me to be more of them on the road than the tenth generation trucks. And honestly the I6 and 302 way outperform their newer counterparts.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:35 AM
Wrathaxe
Freshman User
Originally Posted by kermmydog
What part of the Country are you in that 2wd have that kind of value?
Yea, When you have the money you are in control if you want to be. But many get sucked in by talk like today only. Tell him today only you'll give him $1200.
The heck with that. Time is on your side believe me.
Don't force a deal or get forced into a deal, sit back & look. Something will come you way.

Craig
Atlanta, GA is, seems these country boys put great value on their pick up trucks lol. I am transplanted from Los Angeles so I am used to overpaying for EVERYTHING but not gonna do it this time. Figure I will do $1500 on any of the 3 but not much more.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:46 AM
Island'r
Tuned
Originally Posted by tbirdscott
That was my thinking too, 2wd trucks are about worthless around my parts but 4x4's are all overpriced. Go figure,

It sounds like you do mostly puttering around town with is fine for the 300, I warn you though if you do any amount of highway driving you will not be satisfied with the I6. They just dont hold highway speed well and forget about passing unless your going down hill or have a loooong clear stretch ahead.

I personally wouldnt own another with anything smaller than the 351w. Better mileage in my experience since your foot isnt always to the floor trying to keep up to traffic and you have the power you want when you need it. Maintenance costs and longevity are the same as your other options if cared for.
I agree... I test drove even a 351 Ext cab LB, and I had to get on the throttle hard just to go around the block...

Now, the 460 in the truck I bought only requires you to rest your foot on the peddle and lightly feather it to get up to speed... it will also climb steep hills without effort...

I by no means get GREAT milage, but I betcha I get near as good as a 351 working hard. Plus when my truck is loaded I probably get better milage than a 351. Load her up, and you don't even feel the weight...

She's no speed demon, but a torque monster for sure. She'll move mountains!

Old 07-29-2013, 11:18 AM
Bowtie_Schmowtie
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kermmydog

Craig
Agreed. Keep looking on Craigslist, your local classified paper, and don't discount the value of just keeping your eyes open while you are out and about.

Here in western North Carolina, Ford trucks are gold...4x4 Ford trucks are platinum. While I was looking, I had trouble finding trucks with less than 200K and/or that were less than $2500. And yes, I was looking at 2WD only.

I would definitely go with the 4.9 and a manual if I had a choice...that's the only configuration I even looked at. I will agree that the 302 has much better aftermarket support and has parts available around every corner, but it won't last nearly as long as a well-maintained 4.9.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:20 AM
Wrathaxe
Freshman User
Old 07-29-2013, 12:09 PM
Wrathaxe
Freshman User
Old 07-29-2013, 12:39 PM
Wrathaxe
Freshman User