Coolant lose

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 09:14 PM
Wayne242
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant lose

I did a search, but found little related to the issue I'm having (found lots of coolant lose threads though, that my eyes are bloodshot now).

Truck: 97 F250 with 4.6 triton.

Issue:
Slow coolant lose- about a quart or so every few days.
Smell of coolant when a/c is turned on- no smell when its off.(I don't run a/c at all, just noticed the smell when i was checking to see if A/C still worked).

Checked:
Changed oil and have no coolant in oil.
Check tranny fluid level and as not changed.
looked under truck for possible leaks- found none.
No coolant smell from outside truck when idling that i can smell.
Truck does not smoke, that i can see.
No coolant on floor carpet.

Have not done:
I have not check for leaks after driving truck, but have had it running with hood open and did not see anything (was not up to temp at time).

Old 07-28-2013, 02:40 PM
enriched&beyound
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Wayne242
I did a search, but found little related to the issue I'm having (found lots of coolant lose threads though, that my eyes are bloodshot now).

Truck: 97 F250 with 4.6 triton.

Issue:
Slow coolant lose- about a quart or so every few days.
Smell of coolant when a/c is turned on- no smell when its off.(I don't run a/c at all, just noticed the smell when i was checking to see if A/C still worked).

Checked:
Changed oil and have no coolant in oil.
Check tranny fluid level and as not changed.
looked under truck for possible leaks- found none.
No coolant smell from outside truck when idling that i can smell.
Truck does not smoke, that i can see.
No coolant on floor carpet.

Have not done:
I have not check for leaks after driving truck, but have had it running with hood open and did not see anything (was not up to temp at time).
If you smell it more inside then outside...willing so say that the heater core is gasping its last breath. or a hose for the heater core is spritzing on the exhaust and evaporating coolant so it never leaves a puddle .

check the valley between the heads very carefully....there might signs of leakage there

Old 07-29-2013, 05:52 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,391 Likes on 1,100 Posts
I'm thinking if the heater core were leaking an under vehicle puddle would form since the case tends to have a condensate drain for the A/C function.

But then again since the smell is present mostly when the blower is on does seem to pinpoint the core itself leaking.

Might be time to carefully remove the outer part of the heater core case and see what's inside there. If so take precautions and have a catch pan just in case coolant is laying in the case.

Otherwise an inspection cam under the intake would be a good idea.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:45 PM
Wayne242
Freshman User
Originally Posted by JWA
I'm thinking if the heater core were leaking an under vehicle puddle would form since the case tends to have a condensate drain for the A/C function.

But then again since the smell is present mostly when the blower is on does seem to pinpoint the core itself leaking.

Might be time to carefully remove the outer part of the heater core case and see what's inside there. If so take precautions and have a catch pan just in case coolant is laying in the case.

Otherwise an inspection cam under the intake would be a good idea.
Thanks for the info.

I only smell it with a/c on, have not tried heat yet(I'll do that today). I'm sure i will probably smell it with heat as well. I'm losing coolant, so it as to be going somewhere(that's my main concern). I had the plastic cover off the throttle, and did not see any coolant around the intake, but I'll look closer again(really did not look at the back of engine).

Old 08-08-2013, 09:26 AM
Wayne242
Freshman User
Still have not been able to locate this point of coolant lose. I have looked around the intake and cant find coolant standing.

I have no coolant in the oil, and cant really smell any from exhaust. The passenger carpet and floor under it is dry as can be. My overflow was empty yesterday when i checked it, and yesterday was the first day i drove the truck in about a week. Is there a die i can add to it maybe? I'm not putting anymore antifreeze in it until i find this issue...

Old 08-08-2013, 11:47 AM
Wayne242
Freshman User
Pull dip stick to check oil, and its milky.. So found where the coolant was going. I'm not sure how it did not get milky be for this from losing coolant.

Anyhow guess its not worth messing with. Probably more damage then its worth.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:54 PM
Wayne242
Freshman User
Looking at the cost for this repair, its not worth it.

Does anyone know what other engines i can put into a 97 F250 with out having to change a ton of stuff?

Thanks for any info.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:20 PM
enriched&beyound
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Wayne242
Looking at the cost for this repair, its not worth it.

Does anyone know what other engines i can put into a 97 F250 with out having to change a ton of stuff?

Thanks for any info.
well it finally showed it ugly head ...eh.

the salvage yards are prolly going to be your most economical route to get another engine

I'd look for the same engine only from a bit newer, like a 03'.
Reason being that you would get much improved heads and increase in factory horsepower and it should bolt right in.

If you want to bump up to the 5.4...well then then more is needed...but it doesn't sound like that is the route you want to go. Unless you tow/trailer a lot...then you might want to reconsider.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:53 AM
Wayne242
Freshman User
Junk yard wants $750 for a used 4.6 with 170k, not happening.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:12 AM
Wayne242
Freshman User
Question, i have rebuilt engines etc in the past (350s, 302, 351 etc). So i know how to do it but never had to bother with these boat anchors. Do i have to remove the front timing cover to pull the heads off? or can i unbolt the top of the timing cover from the heads, and then remove the heads with out messing with all that junk.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:21 PM
Wayne242
Freshman User
Pulling the passenger head to look at pistons, and then I'll go from there on what i want to do. If they rings etc or worn etc, then I wont do a head gasket and will have a parts motor. I'm taking my time, all though i got the intake off in no time, which shocked me. The rain made me stop, but i got to pulling the pulley off. Stuck on balance and power steering. I cant get the balancer off, so will have to rent a puller from autozone. Not sure how the power steering unbolts, but did not get under to look at it.

I did notice some one must of tried to pull the manifold off passenger side, as the back to bolts or broke off flush with manifold, I guess some one give up at that point. I personally don't care if they all break, as long as there is a little stud left to grip by machine shop(cheaper if there is).

The "what the hell I'm I getting into view "

Intake off, went pretty smooth other then 2 injectors coming out of fuel rail The paper in pic was from a field mouse that tried to make a nest back there at some point lol .. drop in there when i pull intake. Also they must paint the block section under intake, that's all paint in there coming off (thought it was carbon when first seen it).

[/URL]

Rain shut me down, i did not want this in my garage. I would have to take the motorcycles out and all my toys to get this truck inside all the way. If it keeps raining, I'll take the suv and push it in when i work on it. tossed some plastic covering on heads be for i bailed due to rain (hood still on truck)

[/URL]

Coffee with cream anyone?

[/URL]

I pulled the drain and stuck my finger under it to see if there was any metal shavings etc, and kept doing that until it all drained. No metal shavings, and none in the oil (no metal flacks like i was expecting).

I would almost rebuild this one, but cost wise i don't that i should (if it needs, will tell when i pull head). Side note, i left the oil drain plug out of the oil paint so everything could drain out, hopefully no rust down there as a result.

P.S: I'm open to any tips on getting the front timing cover off, and how to keep it in time as i do the head gaskets.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:32 AM
Wayne242
Freshman User