Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-27-2013, 06:23 PM
Junior User

catzr440 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Considering a Red Head steering gear

so I'm thinking i need to get one of these "red head" steering boxes, my truck has a very bad wonder! And seems to be extremely bad at low speeds some times!! Almost like it wants to pull ya off the road! I just had all new ball joints, and all new tie rods installed yesturday, and still pulls and wonders VERY BAD!!
Old 07-27-2013, 08:37 PM

Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
TomB985
Hi catzr440,

I split your post off into its own thread, you bumped a 3-year-old thread that was about a different issue. It sounds to me like your first stop need to be for an alignment. Pulling and wandering are both typically alignment issues, and if you installed new tie rods without an alignment you may well have made the issue worse.

I really liked the improvement the Red Head steering gear gave my Excursion, but you should track down your issue first before spending the money on one. Pretty confident you have an alignment issue.

Currently truckless.
Most recently: 2013 F150 XLT 4x4 EcoBoost
Moderators, Guidelines, and How They are Enforced
Old 07-27-2013, 09:42 PM
Junior User

thanx for the tip!!! I took some good advice from a friend and made an adjustment on the steering box, it seems to not wonder, and much better steering response!! But yeah, Monday I will call for an alignment! Thanx!!
Old 07-27-2013, 11:11 PM
Freshman User

splice1985 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Mine had fairly terrible wander when I first got it. The adjustment screw for the gearbox was as tight as it would go, so replaced the gearbox. The best deal I found was on a Motorcraft Gearbox from Rockauto.com. I've been happy with that. Replacement at the local auto hobby shop took me about 3 hours. The steering tightened up a bit with mine, but didn't go all the way away until I replaced all the front end bushings, springs, shocks, and got an alignment. Rides smooth and tracks straight now.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:13 AM
New User

bdman74 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Anybody know what those run dollar wise? I've had my mechanic going over my new to me truck and he tells me most of my play is in the box. I'll have a better assessment myself after alignment and new tires, but boy coming down hwy 75 home with it was lil hairy.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:31 AM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdman74 View Post
Anybody know what those run dollar wise? I've had my mechanic going over my new to me truck and he tells me most of my play is in the box. I'll have a better assessment myself after alignment and new tires, but boy coming down hwy 75 home with it was lil hairy.
I'm tellin ya, I'm having the same issue!! Trying to keep it in my lane going 70!! I dropped it back to 60, to try n be a lil safer! I should mention that my truck had the pulling and wondering BEFORE I had the front end worked on, but Monday hopefully I can get the alignment done!
Old 07-28-2013, 11:06 AM
Senior User

1954oldred is starting off with a positive reputation.
Mine was doing the same as you all...aligned front end all components good. Adjusted nut on top of stock box, it helped, for a while.

Last week bought and installed red head box...truck is soooooo much better! No more issues.

I paid $355.00 for mine.

2006 F350Lariat CC SRW SB SCT X3 wID tunes Coolant Filter High Idle Mod CCV MBRP 3.5 Stainless Downpipe 4 the rest of the way No Cat EGR Delete solid up-pipe Swamps FICM Edge Insight Gauges165k. 2002 F250 CC SRW SB TS 6 position banks big head 6637 CCV 154k
Old 07-28-2013, 03:49 PM
Elder User

PSDlongbox is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.PSDlongbox is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
once it gets all slopped out, tightening the adjuster is a temporary fix. I put in a red head box a few months ago and wouldn't ever own another truck without one.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:06 AM
Junior User

well after getting an alignment done on my truck, it still has the same problem!! I just ordered the red head box, I have the 36 spline gear box. It runs 336.00 with a 200.00 core charge, I hope its worth every penny!
Old 07-31-2013, 05:04 AM
Junior User

I just had an alignment done!!
Old 07-31-2013, 08:51 AM
New User

bdman74 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I don't have my truck back yet but I did stop by the shop and got a test drive in on the new brakes yesterday. They were ate up with problems, had to replace all pads, 3 rotors, and two calipers due to seized up slider pins. He said not a single steering joint had any grease so he greased everything good and adjusted the worm gear on the stock box a hair. It drove like a totally different truck, like new almost. Still haven't even gotten the alignment and tires, that should help more as well, unfortunately the E Brake wasn't working so that's still being addressed and I like you think it's just a matter of time before I have to change that steering box. Tightening that worm gear really is just putting a band aid on a worn out box.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:26 PM
Junior User

well I just got back from a good long test run, highway and 2 tracks...........this redhead box is worth its weight in gold!!! Not even as much of an inch of wandering, no more sloppy wheel play, no tugging to one side of the road or the other!!!! Let me say this.....them boys know how to rework a gear box!!! Very VERY impressed!!!!
Old 08-02-2013, 11:03 PM
Posting Guru

the_auto_tech has a good reputation on FTE.the_auto_tech has a good reputation on FTE.
TheAutoTech The_Auto_Tech
Sounds like I need one of these.

2001 Audi allroad 6MT - Wife's

-Cody T.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:08 PM
Junior User

I would highly recommend one, I'm not sure on everyone elses front end issues, but in my case that was the problem from the start! Guess it didn't hurt any by having my front end all rebuilt! Just my wallet! But well worth the money in my book!
Old 08-03-2013, 02:07 PM
Postmaster

Misky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputation
X2. The redhead worked wonders on my '05 excursion too. Also front tire wear and pressure makes a big difference too. Be sure you rotate your tires with each oil change.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:07 PM