Repairing my A/C system. A couple quick(?) questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 05:52 PM
Vic93
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Repairing my A/C system. A couple quick(?) questions

So, years ago, the compressor locked up in my 94 f150. Now, I'm finally going to fix it by replacing the compressor, condenser, dryer, and orifice tube. I'm keeping the evaporator core and hoses. I'm trying to save about a grand by putting the parts on myself but I already had a shop vacuum the system and I'll have them recharge and test it later.
Now for the questions. The guy at the shop said to put 1oz of oil in the dryer and condenser before installation. The sticker under the hood says the system capacity is 7 oz and the instructions with the new compressor says to add half of the system capacity to the suction side. So 3.5oz to the compressor, and 2oz between the dryer and condenser. Does the rest go to the evaporator or will the shop add the rest when they recharge it?
Since I'm not replacing the evaporator, unless I find out it's bad, I'll need to flush it out. Can anyone tell me step by step how to do that? I asked the guy at the A/C shop but he was pretty vague over the phone. Basically said put the cleaner in one side and used compressed air to blow it out. I'm really hoping I don't have to take it out. I'll also put an inline filter at the compressor.
I'm probably forgetting something in this but I appreciate any help. I've been working on cars/trucks for years but I never fully understood A/C systems so I'm just trying not to screw it up by missing the little details like oil capacities.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:43 PM
lsrx101
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You want about half of the oil in the compressor, then spread the rest out through the system. It's not critical as long as you have the whole amount in there somewhere.

The mechanic pretty much told you all there is to know about flushing the evaporator. Attach hoses to the evaporator tubes so that you can add the solvent and catch it safely. Add a fully evaporating solvent into the upper port of the evaporator then blow it out with compressed air. You need a LOT of air such as from a 60-80 gallon compressor. Smaller units don't have the volume necessary for flushing and drying out the solvent. Blow through in both directions for about 5 minutes each direction.
NAPA carries Dura-II AC solvent. I would avoid the citrus based solvents from the chain parts stores. It's almost impossible to get it all out and any residue will contaminate the system. I'm just not a fan.
You "can" use lacquer thinner but you obviously have to be careful around paint and heat sources.
Good Luck.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:18 PM
MBoyle1
New User
Never use compressed air for this!you can flush with R-11 &purge with nitrogen, evacuation &recharge!

Old 08-01-2013, 05:55 PM
Vic93
New User
Well thanks for the tips. I managed to get it all together over the weekend and brought it to the shop for an evac and recharge yesterday. It was all going good until the mechanic came in and told me it had a leak. Turns out one of the screws that holds one of the brackets on the bottom of the condenser pierced one of the lines so refrigerant was spraying out. I got a new condenser today to put in this weekend and I'm in the process of getting a refund for the other one.
I was so close to finally having cold A/C for the first time in many years!