Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Princevalium's Upgrade Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 02:08 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking Princevalium's Upgrade Thread

Hello everyone...I thought I would start my own upgrade thread to show some of the things I get for my truck and also to help any of you in your decisions about whether you may want to do the same upgrades; as well as answer any questions that you may have regarding each one.

Since my very first upgrade was my window tinting and there really isn't much to show about them other than the pictures I posted when I got my truck, I can tell you that they were 32% and are ceramic tint. Ceramic tint is able to block more heat than regular (metallic) tints and tend to not fade or bubble. They cost a little more however just for the extra heat dispersion IMO they are worth it!

Ok on to today's install!

I purchased the DeeZee tailgate assist Model DZ43200 and I have to say I really like it! Normally when I open my tailgate I really never let it go...but now I can and don't have to worry about it slamming down. For those of you that remove your tailgate...the shock mounts come off easily from the posts.

What is in the kit:

According to the directions you need to make sure the bolt is 3/4" from the end of the nut to the end of the bolt before you install it. You can also see the part of the insert that gets tightened to hold it into the tailgate (the yellow slotted end which you put into the hole). On my tailgate there was no threaded fitting just a hole on the drivers side of the tailgate close to the bottom.

Using a 5 metric allen wrench and a 10mm wrench you place the bolt in the hole and holding the allen wrench still tighten the nut just before the washer a full 9 turns (Clockwise 360deg.)

When I tightened it I could only get about a 1/4 turn each time. Nearing the end it will tighten up nice and tight in the tailgate...but be sure not to over tighten it or you run the risk of stripping the threads. Then all you have to do is remove the bolt.

Here is a pic of the threaded insert after install.

Next you install the stud into the threaded insert making sure to use the supplied blue thread lock compound. (You will need a 13mm wrench)

You then have to use the star wrench provided to remove the hanger stud, use the same bolt with the plate provided and reinstall it. (be sure to use some more blue thread lock)

Reinstall the tailgate hanger back on the clip as shown.

Install the fat end of the shock to the top ball mount

And subsequently the bottom smaller end of the shock to the stud in the tailgate.

Lastly make sure the cable lays flat against the tailgate so it closes on the right side of the shock and does not bind when closing the tailgate as shown.

That's it!! You now have a great little addition to your truck. You can open the tailgate and let it drop on it's own. Just as an added goodie I have made a video for you guys showing the tailgate in action (sorry at times it is a little bright due to another beautiful sunny morning in California!..lol). I hope you all enjoyed reading my install.

OH and something else showed up on the driveway while I was doing this install....more to come!!!!

Old 07-26-2013, 02:38 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Cool Mod! Didn't even know there was something like this available. Looking forward to the Mods thread!

Originally Posted by PrinceValium
OH and something else showed up on the driveway while I was doing this install....more to come!!!!
Come on! Don't leave us hanging!!! Door Detents??

Old 07-26-2013, 03:05 PM
fire240
FTE Legend
Received 245 Likes on 237 Posts
Looks good.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:02 PM
crazyrwe
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you Rob, we always enjoy the cheaper and easier mods to mess with. Reps sent your way.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:37 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Robbgt
Cool Mod! Didn't even know there was something like this available. Looking forward to the Mods thread!

Come on! Don't leave us hanging!!! Door Detents??
Sorry I had some things to do and setting up all the pictures etc. takes time...lol

Originally Posted by crazyrwe
Thank you Rob, we always enjoy the cheaper and easier mods to mess with. Reps sent your way.
YW...and thanks for the reps!

Originally Posted by fire240
Looks good.
Ty Fire...I put this thread in my signature like you have yours...good idea!

Ok on to the next upgrade...I am composing it now.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:39 PM
KJ Smith
Laughing Gas
Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts
I got to be honest here.

I did this on my '11 250.

It is pretty cool.

But I guess I am just a little to impatient.

Standing there holding my clubs waiting for that thing to drop was bothersome.

Funny side note, when I got the new truck it took me a while to quit dropping the tailgate...... you get used to it in a hurry....

Old 07-26-2013, 06:45 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Well like I said earlier...as I was installing the DeeZee....the FedEx guy delivered these beauty's!

I have been waiting for these for about a week...glad they arrived today! For starters let me say I really do like the mats. They look really classy and also look to be built pretty well. I know I have read where some say they crack easily etc. that remains to be seen. They definitely look like mats that should come stock in the Platinum!...lol The other thing is that the instructions for them is basically a waste of paper. I know what you guys are thinking...they are just floor mats why do you need instructions?? The only reason is to see where to cut for the subwoofer...which I covered later. The only helpful thing is that they say to NOT put them over any other floor mats. (to me I don't know why you would do that...but ok) I also don't really care for the way they partially cover the Platinum kick plates. I think they could have made them to at least show them fully, and honestly I may break out the Exacto knife and do that at a later date..not sure yet. Ok on to the pictures.

Here are the front floor mats, they are singles as I have the flow through center console and of course for the super crew.

Back mat is a one piece and is made for multiple year trucks. My truck has the optional subwoofer so there is a section on the bottom right that I will have to trim off which I will cover later.

My floor mats have the double posts on the drivers side. Here is a shot of the posts and also the back of the posts. The mat easily slides in and all you need to do is press the mat down on the posts and they will clip in nicely. It will not go anywhere or slide around...they are secured well.

Here are a few pics of the drivers mat in place and how far up it cover behind the pedals.

UGH it still partially covers the kick plate...I called Weathertech and they made them that way...I was contemplating trimming them and tucking them under the kick plate for a nice clean look...maybe a rainy day alteration?

Passenger mat in and also shows how far they cover up under the dash. They fit really well on the floor and go way up under the dash. I don't even think my size 14 feet will have a problem staying on the mat...LOL

Here is a side shot of the passenger side and how it sits over the kick plate that I really don't care for...eh for now I will just leave it be.

Ok on to the back...first off I had to trim the back mat to allow the mat to sit around the subwoofer. There is the square section at the bottom right that needs to be removed as shown above. Here is the mat underneath that is marked and showing where I will trim the mat to keep the high beveled edge to look nice and neat.

I will cut on the inner most part of the bevel to keep the raised edge.

Of course I am not doing it freehand as I want a nice straight cut...in comes the straight edge!. (All you perfectionists will appreciate that...lol)

In goes the rear mat that really sits nicely in the back covering every inch of the back. These mats will REALLY protect your truck carpeting...let me assure you.

Here is that nice beveled edge around the subwoofer! (perfectionists can all breathe a sigh of relief)

It fits nicely against the back of the console and here is also a shot of the far edge and how it fits...just perfect!

Well thats about it everyone. It's been a long day of uploading, getting things fixed on the boat, typing things up, and now I have to get some sleep before I head to work tonight for graveyard shift. Please let me know if there are too many pictures and I will reduce the amount on future upgrades. I figured the more pictures the better for those of you that are on the fence with the Weathertechs.

There are also NO little dimples under these mats to hold them in place. I know I read of someone saying they moved around on them a lot...however I tried pushing the back mat around and it barely moved. (They state to NOT install them over other floor mats and that the DigitalFit mats are not made for trucks with the vinyl floors.) The front passenger side moves very little, nothing annoying that I can see.

On a side note me being a perfectionist on things..I copy my post as I go along and good thing I did as somehow my browser froze up and I would have lost about an hour of writing copying and pasting this all up!!

Ok last but NOT LEAST...I will leave you with a picture of another reason I chose these mats as well. The picture says it all! Let me know if you want a shorter version for next time. Stay safe out there guys!

Old 07-26-2013, 07:13 PM
crazyrwe
Elder User
Hey Rob, can you send your Fed Ex guy to my house, hehe. I don't see that being a leak issue if you trimmed at the kickplate. Very nice mats, made in the USA.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:33 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
I wouldn't trim them to fit under the kick plate. The purpose of the design is to drain any mud, slime, or goo that gets tracked in. If you put it under the kick plate it will all go underneath and get trapped.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:24 PM
south fulton
New User
The tailgate assist is a great add on. I tracked one down and put it on my truck......and it works great. The hardest part was removing the stud for the cable clip.

on the Weather Techs. One of the first things I bought for this truck.

And..... it's an Illinois company, and Illinois businesses need all the help they can get.

Michael

Old 08-25-2013, 01:44 PM
GuyGene
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking good, Prince, mighty good my main man! The kind of "mods" (short for "modifications") I can do!

Heheheeee, them floor mats - makes a point for me - here's what kind of new truck I want - highest end made, leather, etc., whole shebang, BUT - with regular old vinyl floors! Hey, I don't even like carpet in me house, much less in me trucks! Craziest idea just about I've ever seen - carpet in a truck! As useless as a sow with a saddle. Or a boar hog with ****.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:08 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by GuyGene
Looking good, Prince, mighty good my main man! The kind of "mods" (short for "modifications") I can do!

Heheheeee, them floor mats - makes a point for me - here's what kind of new truck I want - highest end made, leather, etc., whole shebang, BUT - with regular old vinyl floors! Hey, I don't even like carpet in me house, much less in me trucks! Craziest idea just about I've ever seen - carpet in a truck! As useless as a sow with a saddle. Or a boar hog with ****.
I hear ya...the problem is that wanting all the leather seats etc. they don't offer just rubber floors. Those are usually in the lower end models. That is why the Weathertechs are the next best thing! I am extremely happy with them...they cover the carpeting really well and now I don't have to worry about ruining the carpets with my boots or getting them wet or muddy OR sand on them from a day at the beach!!

Old 12-12-2013, 02:38 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Well I picked up some other goodies for the truck:

These I got from ebay...the last ones I saw were actually colored so they would stand out a bit more...but I might just leave these black and chrome. If I do color them I was thinking the colors of the ecoboost badge. What do you guys think?

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 12-12-2013, 05:36 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Very cool badge. Are they the same size as the ecoboost badge on the door? If it were me, I would consider pulling the EB badge from the door, and putting that in it's place. That way it is a bit more subtle than under the F-150 badge, and only a trained eye will notice there is something different about it.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:03 AM
sammy77
Postmaster
That looks good!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Princevalium's Upgrade Thread