Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-26-2013, 11:17 AM
Posting Guru

tacson has a very good reputation on FTE.tacson has a very good reputation on FTE.tacson has a very good reputation on FTE.
50 F1 289/T5 with stock suspension

I have a friend here in Middle TN who is building a 50' F1 as a Father and Son project and has hit some roadblocks. He wants to run a 66' model 289 and a later model Mustang T5. His "builder" cut the cross member he bought that fit his application because he couldn't get the engine and tranny in. My questions are has any built a F1 using a T5 behind a SBF? If so did you use a Mustang sourced T5? The truck is running a stock front suspension. Where did you get your cross member from? I used the search function but only saw things that talked around this particular combo. Thanks for any and all advice.

Frame
Click the image to open in full size.

Cab Mounted
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:28 PM
Post Fiend

AXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to behold
Chuck Frank
I can't imagine why the builder couldn't get the engine/tranny into the truck. Might need to use a rear sump oil pan and sump to give axle clearance. and a modified tranny crossmember to support the tranny mount. I really question the builder's competency if this install is a stumbling block, it's about as basic a swap as there is. Mid Fifty offers a cut to fit tubular motor mount for the 289 that should work with the F-1 frame.

1956 F100 Panel "GRACIE"
2007 Solstice GXP racer, the "KRAZED KANARY"
Third place finish 2009 SCCA National Championships
Old 07-26-2013, 12:53 PM
Senior User

Dobies4life is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wouldnt a mustang t5 put the shifter between a pair of buckets? Or up through the bench seat? the shifter on the mustang versions is at the rear of the housing correct?
Old 07-26-2013, 12:57 PM
Post Fiend

AXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to behold
Chuck Frank
That is quite possible with a bench seat. Can use the tail shaft and housing from an S10 to move the shifter forwards.

1956 F100 Panel "GRACIE"
Old 07-26-2013, 01:33 PM
Posting Guru

tacson has a very good reputation on FTE.tacson has a very good reputation on FTE.tacson has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobies4life View Post
Wouldnt a mustang t5 put the shifter between a pair of buckets? Or up through the bench seat? the shifter on the mustang versions is at the rear of the housing correct?
Yeah it does and that was one of the things he was asking me and I wasn't sure of an alternative

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXracer View Post
That is quite possible with a bench seat. Can use the tail shaft and housing from an S10 to move the shifter forwards.
real good to know AX I will share the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phity Five View Post
I used something like these...

700R4 4L60E T56 T5 Universal Transmission Crossmember 3" Drop | eBay

1994 1998 Ford Mustang Transmission Mount T5 Manual | eBay

They can be found pretty easily on the interweb.

Cheers Brian
Thanks Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXracer View Post
I can't imagine why the builder couldn't get the engine/tranny into the truck. Might need to use a rear sump oil pan and sump to give axle clearance. and a modified tranny crossmember to support the tranny mount. I really question the builder's competency if this install is a stumbling block, it's about as basic a swap as there is. Mid Fifty offers a cut to fit tubular motor mount for the 289 that should work with the F-1 frame.
My friend is a guy I struck up a friendship with a cruise in and we talked the other night. His "builder" leaves a lot to question and I will say no more. If anybody has any additional info please share. I trying to keep my friend from taking the leap and selling his father/son project. Thanks again every one
Old 07-26-2013, 01:50 PM
Post Fiend

52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all
I installed a 66 289 and a C4 trans in a '50 back in the 70's when I was a kid. So I know the SBF will fit in place perfectly without any cutting or modifying the frame or floor/firewall, and using the stock front sump oil pan. We made our own side mounts and welded them to the frame, no aftermarket crossmember necessary.

The mount on the C4 lines up perfectly with the original crossmember and all that needs to happen there is to create a pad for the insulator to attach. The T5 is a different issue. The trans itself is larger and longer, so one must get considerably more creative to install the gearbox over the slushbox. There is a thread in here somewhere that showed one guy's custom install where he created a gorgeous extension to the crossmember from scratch to make everything fit like it should. It's definitely some work, but totally do-able.

Wayne
52 Mercury M-1
among other things.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:57 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
For a mild 289, he can use a later-model S-10 T5 ('91-on, I think), as they are world class, have the Ford bolt patteren on the trans, and have the desirable shifter. Only thing is, they also have the 4.03 1st gear. Adapting the input shaft may be more trouble than it's worth, too. There are kits everywhere to put a T5 behind a flathead, and I see the stock engine mounts are still there..... Hmmmmm....
Old 07-26-2013, 07:37 PM
Post Fiend

Chuck Frank
The shifter location is the biggest stumbling block. Easiest solution is a set of bucket seats. The tailshaft swap is a simple bolt in, just be sure to use a world class tailshaft assembly with a world class T5 tranny, or a non world class tailshaft assembly with a non world class T5. (do a search on the web to learn the differences and instructions on swapping the tailshafts). It's not a difficult process and within the capabilities of anyone with average mechanical skills and tools.

1956 F100 Panel "GRACIE"
Old 07-26-2013, 07:37 PM