Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-25-2013, 08:40 PM
Junior User

Buck Dharma Fan is starting off with a positive reputation.
1700 mi road trip/psd was awesome!

Well, road trip is over. Ran a total of 1785+ mi, LI NY to Lexington Ky. My '97 PSD w/269,000 mi @ start did not even hiccup! I was really nervous about it but man, these PSD's are awesome. Got great milage too. Only got 14.5 gettin' out of town, but on the interstate got as high as 21 through PA and Maryland. Still got 18 in the mtns of West Virginia. Still something strange though. i posted last week about having down shifting issues and poor throttle response. Still so, but..... it responded real well to cruise control input???? down shifted when needed and accelerated great. Could my gas (diesel) pedal be the problem?
Thanks Vinny
Old 07-25-2013, 08:50 PM
Elder User

Splatts is starting off with a positive reputation.
SWEET!!! The ol' 7.3 never gives up!!! Glad to hear your trip went well!!
Old 07-25-2013, 09:17 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatts View Post
SWEET!!! The ol' 7.3 never gives up!!! Glad to hear your trip went well!!
Thanks man, yeah was great. I don't know if I want to say old, Can't insult her anymore, especially after it ran like that. Maybe west coast trip next year. Uh........ can I use your driveway to do an oil change for the return trip?
Old 07-25-2013, 10:30 PM
Elder User

7.3's are always welcome in my driveway. Hell, even the front yard
Old 07-26-2013, 08:17 AM
Junior User

Ok then. I'll bring 4 extra gallons and do your's too.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:54 AM
Elder User

Perfect!! Speaking of oil changes, I'm due. Looks like I know what I'm doin this evening
Old 07-26-2013, 09:38 AM
Posting Guru

Awitte58 has a good reputation on FTE.Awitte58 has a good reputation on FTE.Awitte58 has a good reputation on FTE.
Thats awesome man! I dont use my truck for DD. Its either a weekend warrior for workin or for long hauls! Sadly I only saw 18.7 one time before I put the 35" tires on it.

lol If you need a halfway mark stop out in IL!
We can fillup the back field!

Old 07-26-2013, 10:33 AM
Posting Guru

madMatador78 is starting off with a positive reputation.
gibby.1989 tombombadom tombombadom tombombadom
Glad your trip went well! I wouldn't think twice about going anywhere in my PSD (357K and counting) Makes me want to go road tripping! haha.

As for your throttle question, I don't know, but I'm sure someone here will chime in.

I do know that there is a position switch right on the pedal, I'm sure there may be a way to test it, but I have no clue what the specs would/should be. It would be a place to start though.
1978 AMC Matador Sedan 360 V8 Auto Torqeflite 727 not running right now
1971 AMC Ambassador Brogham, 360 V8 Auto BW M-12
Old 07-26-2013, 02:08 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awitte58 View Post
Thats awesome man! I dont use my truck for DD. Its either a weekend warrior for workin or for long hauls! Sadly I only saw 18.7 one time before I put the 35" tires on it.

lol If you need a halfway mark stop out in IL!
We can fillup the back field!
Yeah! why not. I love the midwest. As far as MPG goes..... I was pleasantly surprised but didn't buy a full size PU for economical reasons. You got 35's, I've got 305's on mine. Think they're the same diameter. 18.5 is great, I think using the cruise helped alot, kept it at 69 mph. How many mi's on your's?
Old 07-26-2013, 02:14 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by madMatador78 View Post
Glad your trip went well! I wouldn't think twice about going anywhere in my PSD (357K and counting) Makes me want to go road tripping! haha.

As for your throttle question, I don't know, but I'm sure someone here will chime in.

I do know that there is a position switch right on the pedal, I'm sure there may be a way to test it, but I have no clue what the specs would/should be. It would be a place to start though.
Thanks Matador, gotta check that out. The difference in response/performance was ridiculous. I was just trying to tap the buttons and stay off the gas as much as possible. Have you done anything major to keep her running so long?
Old 07-26-2013, 02:33 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Dharma Fan View Post
Thanks Matador, gotta check that out. The difference in response/performance was ridiculous. I was just trying to tap the buttons and stay off the gas as much as possible. Have you done anything major to keep her running so long?
No I havent, I only got the truck about a month ago, but the PO was incredibly meticulous, and he had a whole folder full of recpits/service records. I was quite impressed. He told me he had alot of people call about it but when they found out the mileage they usually turned away. Not me though, doesn't scare me one bit. (Well no more than any of my 30+ year old cars anyways, lol) With what I know/have learned and this website I should be able to keep her going for a long long time!

I am curious though, I would think there would have had to have been some work done along the way (trans, injectors, turbo, etc.) but I only have records going back to 291k/3years so its hard to say I guess.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:35 PM
Posting Guru

also you could take an ohm meter to that pedal and check the resistance, just experiment, but there should be a way you can check the resistance and then operate the pedal to see if it increases smoothly. I would say if its choppy or all over the place then you have a bad pedal sensor. Just my thoughts while I was sitting here thinking on it.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:51 PM
Junior User

Quote:
also you could take an ohm meter to that pedal and check the resistance, just experiment, but there should be a way you can check the resistance and then operate the pedal to see if it increases smoothly. I would say if its choppy or all over the place then you have a bad pedal sensor. Just my thoughts while I was sitting here thinking on it.
Good Idea, i may just replace the pedal sensor anyway. I'll need the pedal tonight though, gonna go run 'er on the beach. Cruise control ain't good for off roading
Old 07-26-2013, 03:59 PM
Junior User

Quote:
No I havent, I only got the truck about a month ago, but the PO was incredibly meticulous, and he had a whole folder full of recpits/service records. I was quite impressed. He told me he had alot of people call about it but when they found out the mileage they usually turned away. Not me though, doesn't scare me one bit. (Well no more than any of my 30+ year old cars anyways, lol) With what I know/have learned and this website I should be able to keep her going for a long long time!

I am curious though, I would think there would have had to have been some work done along the way (trans, injectors, turbo, etc.) but I only have records going back to 291k/3years so its hard to say I guess.
Yeah thats great that the PO was a good one. I see the PO of mine routinely at the stable where my daughter rides and he was good to it. Problem is..... what happened before that? I'm convinced I got a good one now, after that trip. Good luck with your's man. Vinny
Old 07-26-2013, 03:59 PM