1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

output shaft leak...new one on me

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 05:16 PM
woodtrucker
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
output shaft leak...new one on me

I've never seen a fluid leak on the end of the yoke where the output shaft connects to yoke at the drive shaft.
anybody have a cheap fix for this? The truck is sitting slightly uphill so I suppose most of the fluid is leaking down the inside of the output shaft.
That would explain why the leak stopped all of a sudden. It leaked down in the tcase until it didn't not run down to the end yoke. strange to me but it may be common. never heard of such!

Old 07-24-2013, 06:23 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since your truck is a 95, you have the 1356 t-case. There is a seal there you can replace. Remove the drive shaft, the end of the slip yoke just slides out of the t-case, pop the old seal out, and the new seal in.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:51 PM
woodtrucker
Senior User
Actually i'm talkin about right at the u joint. Felt down inside the knuckle and lots of fluid there. Its leaking from the ujoint yoke end as well as the slip yoke seal that u are referring to but its got the heaviest leaks at that joint where drive shaft and output shaft meet.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:04 PM
woodtrucker
Senior User
Freezeplug leak?? I am assuming thats what it is so I guess i'll have to repair it. Anyone recommend an epoxy to fix??? Would it last? Probably not but thought I'd ask.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:10 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Originally Posted by woodtrucker
Actually i'm talkin about right at the u joint. Felt down inside the knuckle and lots of fluid there. Its leaking from the ujoint yoke end as well as the slip yoke seal that u are referring to but its got the heaviest leaks at that joint where drive shaft and output shaft meet.
Originally Posted by woodtrucker
Freezeplug leak?? I am assuming thats what it is so I guess i'll have to repair it. Anyone recommend an epoxy to fix??? Would it last? Probably not but thought I'd ask.
I see what you're saying now. Yeah, there is something like a cap in there that is leaking. Maybe able to pop it out and use some RTV sealant on it.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:28 PM
woodtrucker
Senior User
I'll dig into it this weekend. Already bought the seal so I might as well pop that in too when I fix the cap.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:57 PM
woodtrucker
Senior User
looks pretty simple to take drive shaft loose. I just want to be sure.
in the pic you see two clamps that bolted on each with two bolts. they are torx bolts, they come off and I assume the drive shaft will come down once those to clamps are off the ujoint correct? also, I don't have a torque wrench but I'm a machinist and work pretty good with tightening bolts back up the way they were beforehand. I just don't want my drive shaft to fall out so do I really need a torque wrench on these bolts? if so what do they need to be torqued to?

Thanks,

Old 07-25-2013, 09:01 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Yep, just remove those four bolts and slide the driveshaft out of the t-case. I never use a torque wrench on those, I just get then pretty tight. Put a drop of blue Loc Tite on them and you'll be fine.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:11 PM
woodtrucker
Senior User
Dug into this today. Here are my findings:
Seal was leaking bad, cap on end of ouput shaft at yoke was bad. Rough pivot on ujoint at rear diff,
And tailshaft housing was leaking.
Replace seal, both u joints, rtv'd the cap at yoke.
Went for a drive to check leaks and noticed that the tailshaft seal was hot and the the runner boot was torn on new seal. Small tear but should I replace it again? Grease it?It is not leaking. I pulled tailshaft and slide it away from tcase cleaned mating surfaces and resealed. Going back out in bit to tighten bolts up. Should have fixed all the major leaking but should I be concerned with a tear in the boot? This is the slipyoke shaft I'm referring to. Thank rebilled or whoever else chimes in!

Old 07-28-2013, 12:56 AM
ReBilld
Hotshot
If it's not torn bad or leaking, just keep an eye on it for a while. If it doesn't start leaking you should be ok.