Spray guns for frame job. Rustolium

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 02:50 PM
diesel&coffee
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spray guns for frame job. Rustolium

Ok never used a spray gun.. Going the rustoleum route.. Acetone sounds good to dry the primer/paint fast.. Going to paint in driveway and the faster it dries the less dirt/dust/crap gets trapped.

Question is what's a good gun?? Don't want the cheapest northern tools. Say $150 - $250 for a gun?

DO I need separate tips for print/primer??

Well be used for frames/priming truck parts.. Not really for painting the truck..

Is a 60 gal 10.5 CFM compressor enough to get the frame done.

Comments on link:

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/astro-2-quart-pressure-feed-system-2pg7s-p-11610.aspx

Old 07-24-2013, 03:26 PM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Here is a good link; Perfect Paint Job
And this is an excellent forum: SPI User Forums

I would ask someone there about which gun to use, and what size compressor would work. I think I've even read there frequently questions about both. You might try doing a search there. Good luck.
I have a 25 gallon, 5.5 hp comp., with a 65 gal. spare tank that I am using with a HF gun (not the purple one). I got the gun on sale in a kit with a smaller one in a case for about $50. I have only used it to spray primer so far and it has worked great. I do not know how well it will do when I get to the paint stage, but I will find out eventually.

OK, here are some more links that might help you out;
Clear Specific gun for SPI
Upgrading air compressor
Guns
Cheap gun or good gun?

Old 07-24-2013, 08:50 PM
Ketchacar22
Junior User
I have Binks, Devillvis, Sata, and 4 Harbor Frieght guns.
For what you are doing is not shooting a base clear, it's to shoot a simple urethane and your ability to use a paint gun, know the distance, how to set the air pressure, thin out the base paint material is more important than a high dollar gun.
For what you are wishing to do, a $30 Harbor Frieght gun and any compressor that will put out 40 PSI or less and a small tank will work.
I suggest the HLVP gun, the one with the paint supply on the top, rather than an older sipon feed gun.
Take a piece of wood and do some practice to get the "mix ratio" than RustOluem says and learn the distance/spray pattern adjustments, they are in the manual that comes with a HF gun.
If you go to my Garage Pictures, you will see two old collector motorcycles I did, and guess what, none were done with my expensive guns, but a HF "detail" gun.
Am 69, shot my first vehicle when I was not quite 8, paints have changed, etc, but what you will be doing, simple to do.
Just remember, "clean, prep,sand, prime,sand" are the keys to getting a decent finish that holds up.
"You can't get a Band-Aid to stick to a dirty finger" is what you need to keep in mind as you do the prep work.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:17 PM
Ketchacar22
Junior User
Couple of important additions.
One, buy some brass quick couplers to hook up the gun to the air supply line, once again, for what you are doing, they work great.
Two, buy an "inline" air regulator that you will attach just before the air goes into the gun, so you can set your air pressure correct. Don't rely on the air regulator on the compressor.
Third, HF has orange plastic water filters that go on just before the air pressure regulator.
Compressors do just that, compress the air and that makes it hot and so any moisture is compressed to water. You don't want water going into the gun and the paint material.
Basically, go to a Harbor Frieght store or on line and you can buy all the stuff you need for around $50 or so.
It will do what you need.
I have shot items using my nailer compressor, and worked fine. I have also a 18 gal, 125 psi, 5 cfm compressor, as well.
My main compressor, need to run air tools, sanders, etc is a Puma 220v, 60 gal tank, 150 psi and 13 cfm. Not really needed to paint most items.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:37 AM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 852 Likes on 770 Posts
Well said, Ketchacar. Great advice. I've got a couple of HF guns HVLP that work fine for what I need them for. I think they have a "sale" on them now.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:50 AM
Ketchacar22
Junior User
Those HF guns are well worth the money and getting the gun cleaning tools as well.
I very seldom break out my "name brand-high dollar" guns unless doing a total base clear or such.
Those top of the line guns normally set in their cabinet most of the time.
That little "detail-sipon" feed HF gun is a hoot!
I had a Binks detail gun years ago that I gave to my son.
About 8 years ago, had need of one, so got the HF for doing a small fixture paint job.
Like I said, that SearsAllstate and the Buffalo pictured in my garage section were both shot with the HF detail gun, came out great.
The HF seems to do just as good of job and for $10 on sale.