Sponsored by: Moser

Whee Well Liners

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 09:39 PM
Buck268
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whee Well Liners

Considering some of the nasty rust problems we have in this state (Michigan road salt) I have been considering installing either Ford or Rugged Liners wheel well liners in my '11 F150. Has anybody been running these for a little while now? Main concerns are preventing salt and winter road crap build up in the fenders, lips and bedrails. I could see these working great to prevent heavy build up, but also making regular rinse downs of these area MUCH more difficult and less effective... Just not sure which side of that they might fall on.

Open to discussions and ideas!

Old 07-22-2013, 10:41 PM
GonzoCSU
Senior User
I have been thinking of doing the same thing. I noticed this winter that the rear tires throw mud, snow, and gravel road rock forward and it all builds up on the nerf bars under the back door.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:38 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Buck268
I could see these working great to prevent heavy build up, but also making regular rinse downs of these area MUCH more difficult and less effective...
IMO, it is MUCH easier to spray down the inside of the rugged liners than the ENTIRE inside of the bed. Spraying down with a hose is very simple. I installed my rugged liners shortly after purchasing the truck, so I don't know what it's like to not have them installed. You may want to consider mudflaps too. I did the weathertech no-drill at the same time.

For $90 shipped, hard to beat the price:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rugged-Liner-Rear-Wheel-Well-Liners-2004-2013-Ford-F-150-WWF15004-/121134010849?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AF-150&hash=item1c342651e1&vxp=mtr

Old 07-24-2013, 01:22 AM
karlduke
Senior User
Looks good. How was the install? Thinking about getting one for my rig.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:23 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by karlduke
Looks good. How was the install? Thinking about getting one for my rig.
Install was very easy. Remove a couple bolts, trim one plastic tab and slide the liner in. Don't even need to remove the wheel.

Directions: http://ruggedliner.com/truck/wp-cont...stallation.pdf

Old 07-24-2013, 08:28 AM
gDMJoe
Laughing Gas
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Opted for the FoMoCo rear wheel well liners.

Because I had the truck rust-proofed/undercoated prior to installing the liners, IMO the install was a tad more difficult.
  • the coating even though it wasn't that thick, was enough to interfere though not enough to make the fitment impossible.
  • the coating being rough prevented the liners from easily sliding/slipping-into position.
Also opted for the FoMoCo molded splash guards front and rear.

------------------------------

-click- the pic'
Goth 150
< This space intentionally -blank- >

Old 11-09-2014, 07:56 PM
bakon
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Any updates? After a winter were these worth putting on, or was salt hidden up behind them?

Old 11-09-2014, 08:34 PM
conger
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bakon
Any updates? After a winter were these worth putting on, or was salt hidden up behind them?
I've got the same liners on my 2013 F150 screw. They seal out the road crap pretty good, keeping away from the insides of the rear quarter and box. I'm lucky I live where we don't use much salt but use lots of sand instead.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:26 AM
sammy77
Postmaster
They are definitely worth it, they use lots of salt here on the roads. I went with the Ford liners and the truck was also rustproofed and undercoated prior to installation.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:04 AM
Buck268
Elder User
Originally Posted by bakon
I did not pull them off to check but over the summer I did crawl around to reapply fluidfilm. Didn't notice any salt residue, but give the fact that the undercarriage is completely wide open in front of and behind the liners my guess is that they are not 100%. I'm sure they reduce salt spray up into the top of the fenders, into the frame and bed crossmembers and etc but they was a lot of grit caught in the fluid Film coating and a lot of dirt still kicked up into the rear quarters - but I do not have splash guards or mud flaps either.

I still think they are well worth it, especially in combination with a nice spray of fluid film around behind them. Hoping the combination will prevent fender rot.

Old 11-10-2014, 03:21 PM
bakon
Elder User
I did the fluid film, but considered not adding liners because salt will sit on top, beside, under , anywhere it can and thinking they would just hide the salt. Especially in the wheel well lip of the fender, where I had my first rust show up, from inside out, on last truck. (2003 F350)
I really don't think I will add any mudflaps because of ice/snow build up during the winter. I think they hold the snow and ice. SO much so, that the build up will be all the way out to the tire. I know it did on older trucks, surprised the plastic holds up and doesn't crack. Grabs on to running board too, big hard dirty ice chunks build up.
I can be talked into the liners, if they stop any of the build up from happening out back, like the rear bumper area I would guess it throws it towards, or the hitch maybe. But for salt, the spray finds it way everywhere and I am hoping this fluid film holds up to protect the metal.

Old 11-10-2014, 03:24 PM
Buck268
Elder User
Yup, nothing you can do to stop the salt spray. I went with liners and fluid film figuring the liners will prevent dirt/mud/ice build up in the bedrails, frame rails, etc and allow the FF to stay in place and inhibit that salt corrosion. Still easy enough to get in there from in front of or behind the liners to rinse in the spring before reapplying.

If you want to keep spray of any type from the rear bumper, though, you're going to need some type of mudflap or splash guard that hangs lower than the body work.

Old 11-10-2014, 03:27 PM
bakon
Elder User
Did you remove liners to reapply FF or can you get to the area above it? I guess I would take them off anyways to get some into that lip area everytime. Still on fence with the liners.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:23 PM
Buck268
Elder User
Nah, its easy to reapply behind the liners. The trick is to use the aersol cans with the "wand" for lack of better terms. I know they have it on amazon and ebay if you do a quick search.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:07 PM
sammy77
Postmaster
I pretty did the opposite of you Bakon. I have the liners, and I'm using the WeatherTech mud flaps. I tow my snowmobile trailer weekly in that salt crap, and wanted to keep the snow/ice from destroying my trailer. Only time will tell if it works better this way. It's funny, we have identical trucks..

Quick Reply: Whee Well Liners