1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worst Truck Month Of My Life

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 03:56 PM
BigBlue99
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Worst Truck Month Of My Life

OK, so about a year ago I replaced a rear u-joint; no big deal. Then I noticed it got sloppy again so I figured I did a bad install and replaced it using the same pinion caps and two months later sloppy again. I replaced it this time using new caps and it tightened up the u-joint, but then I felt the ever so slightest vibration. I figured the vibration was either a bent driveshaft or my CV joint getting dry, but I continued to drive the truck like a moron cause I have no other mode of transpo.

About this same time I discovered a hole in my head that was leaking coolant. Fixed with JB weld, but was discovered 100 miles from home while towing.

I was making my way back home where the shop is when the transfercase liked to fall out from under the truck. the bolts holding the t-case to the trans all sheered off ATF everywhere. The truck still drove fine but I heard an odd noise and got off the road. Tow truck driver had never seen anything like it either.

I now have the t-case on the floor searching for the correct bolts. trans and t-case seem fine; driveshaft got rebuilt. Now I am just hoping that the problem was infact the driveshaft and the bolts had a fatigue falure and not something else.

I love this truck, but I can't really brag that its been the best. I have been towed home twice (the first time because I blew a plug), I've replaced several coil packs (not that big a deal), hole in the head (probably result of poor maintanance by previous owner but dam), and sheered off bolts!!! Please excuse my rant, but if this keeps up I might have a brand change. JK JK I bleed blue; blue oval for life.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:50 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,410 Likes on 1,006 Posts
that is certainly some tough luck. I'd suggest going over the truck carefully. Sometimes buying used does have a risk.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:53 PM
SteveH-CO
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
How many miles on the truck?

Old 07-22-2013, 05:01 PM
redford
Received 1,559 Likes on 908 Posts
Have you considered maybe getting a priest?

Old 07-22-2013, 06:28 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
A hole in the head? Never heard of that one, can you post a pic?

Old 07-22-2013, 06:40 PM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is it lifted? Do you have the stock drive shafts on it? And did you change the pinion angles both front and rear as part of the lift? Sounds like you beat stuff up with a bad u-joint and/or bad pinion angles so much that it tore up your driveline. I would open both differentials and inspect things carefully; if there's even a sliver of a doubt, remove the axle shafts test torque specs, backlash, all of it. Make sure the pinions aren't loose and the pinion seals are intact. Inspect the front drive shaft very carefully as well. It's possible the transfer case may have experienced wear inside it as well, so keep an eye on that (or break it down and inspect it, rebuilding or replacing as necessary).

Old 07-22-2013, 09:40 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
I had that transfercase thing happen to my F-150 once. Definatly sucked. Sorry to here about the bad stuff. Hope you get it all fixed up.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:52 AM
BigBlue99
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Crazy001
A hole in the head? Never heard of that one, can you post a pic?

That's the driverside head just just below the thermostat. And yes that is infact the head not the intake with the hole. I dont have a picture of the repair, but just imagine about a chewing tobacco's pinch worth of JB weld covering the whole area there.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:03 AM
BigBlue99
Mountain Pass
163k on the truck; bought it just below 100k five years ago.

Yes they are stock driveshafts and the front is the only one lifted for about 3-4", but the 4x4 place I trust told me the angle on the front should not be an issue. The driveshaft shop told me the shaft was not that out of round, but the CV joint was dry and probably had a hard spot causing that vibration.

I had the gears changed about a year and a half ago, and when this was done the carrier was rebuilt with new bearings and all. Just by my knowledge of trucks the rear pinion passes the wiggle test when compared to others, but I don't know. The transmission and T-case look fine externally without any unexpected slop in the input or outputs. I am hoping that the driveshaft was the root cause of this failure, but if I feel the slightest vibration once its all back together I am putting it in the shop to be checked.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:05 AM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
My driveshaft was the problem with mine about a month ago. Joint looked okay but was bad. Had a new ones put in and balanced and it was good to go.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:18 AM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Received 239 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBlue99
I dont have a picture of the repair, but just imagine about a chewing tobacco's pinch worth of JB weld covering the whole area there.
Now THAT is what I'm talkin bout!! But was it a BIG pinch like after dinner, or a small pinch as a refresher for the dip already in?!
Sorry, just had to!!

Old 07-23-2013, 11:36 AM
phillips91
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like one heck of a month. Hope you get everything straightened out on it.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:55 AM
BigBlue99
Mountain Pass
Just to give an update.

I got the t-case back in the truck, rebuilt driveshaft, new bolts, and all new brakes. No more vibration or warped brake rotors. Also changed tranny and t-case fluid. Looked like the T-case had the original oil in it which is partially my fault; it came out black with a hue of red. The only thing is now though is that I drove the truck about 90 miles yesterday and on my final approach I rolled down the windows and turned the radio off to listen for any abnormalities; and I heard a faint squeek. Any ideas what it might be if I consider all u-joints and CV to be good? Maybe pinion or something IDK. I checked the rear end oil level and it is within one pinky finger digit from the hole. This morning on the way to work I did not hear it once to maybe its something that is coming up over a period of time with some distance to get it hot?

Old 07-29-2013, 07:06 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,410 Likes on 1,006 Posts
Might be something simple like shocks or the leaf springs. I would just monitor for now.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:28 AM
gandrimp
Junior User
Backing plate just barely touching rotor?

Quick Reply: Worst Truck Month Of My Life