General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Any of you guys tend vegetable gardens?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 09:27 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Any of you guys tend vegetable gardens?

This is my first year for tending my OWN garden, but I've helped my parents tend the same piece of land for roughly 10-13 yrs..

Awesomely fertile soil, and the stuff always does excellent.

If you have a garden, lemme see it! Post pics of the overall garden, some of your veggies up close, etc..

Here's one of mine, about 1/2 weeded out. L-R is 3 rows of beans, 1 row of lettuce, and 1 row of tomatoes.

Notice the grapevine at the far right.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:18 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I just have a tiny 8x12' patch behind the house, but it is the only unpaved ground on the lot.

I make the best of it.

This is a while ago.
Chard, spinach & beets are done.
Tomatoes and peppers are as high as that 6' fence & completely out of control right now.
Had some beans tonight actually.

I've got some lettuce and root vegetables in the center now.
Their leaves will help protect the soil from drying out.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:32 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Very nice Jim!

I've got a bunch of tomatoes on the way, about 1/2 way grown. Lettuce is growing faster than I can eat it...

3 weeks of not being able to weed out my garden for one reason or another has allowed it to become something similar to some of the jungle scenes in "Jumanji".

As I was weeding part of the tomato plants/ lettuce out, I half expected to see Robin Williams run out from between the plants and a Rhino closing in...

Old 07-23-2013, 02:37 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk

Can I suggest getting some treated 4x4's and making a "Raised" section around 3 sides, and do some "Trough" gardening?

Very good for strawberries, mustard greens, onions, etc with small root systems and grown fast.

Also could use wooden pallets for the same idea.. Either/or, you could easily do 3-4 "Rows" or sections high, and maximize your food source

Old 07-23-2013, 04:51 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

It's 'raised' a bit already.
The soil here is so contaminated I dug a little hollow and screwed together 4 rows of these 'landscape ties', then put down some plastic and filled with clean sandy soil, compost, peat moss and chicken ****.
I tied the leader drains from the house in there so it has help getting watered.

We have sunflowers and strawberries growing in a flower bed I made alongside the house by the driveway.
There's a raspberry patch back of the garage but I question eating anything from that soil.

I'm envious of the space and climate you have Wes.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:18 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
It's 'raised' a bit already.
The soil here is so contaminated I dug a little hollow and screwed together 4 rows of these 'landscape ties', then put down some plastic and filled with clean sandy soil, compost, peat moss and chicken ****.
I tied the leader drains from the house in there so it has help getting watered.

We have sunflowers and strawberries growing in a flower bed I made alongside the house by the driveway.
There's a raspberry patch back of the garage but I question eating anything from that soil.

I'm envious of the space and climate you have Wes.

You wouldn't like it right now...

Mother Nature is apparently having a monthly/going through menopause, as it has been 95*+ and then will POUR the rain for a day or so...

As for space, I honestly don't have much per se... 2 acres of property, but only 35% or so is flat/usable. The rest is 75*+ inclines..

But I'm working on that also, getting things prepped to start "Gardening" Ginseng and Bloodroot...
On another note, my dad tossed some watermelon remnants over the bank, and now I have 6 watermelon vines in a random as hell place, literally coming up out of sand/lime gravel..

WTF?!?! I cleaned the area around them up and staked them up off the ground, so just gonna let'em go and see where it takes me.

*BTW* How'd you get the name "Princess Glitzhooter"?

Old 07-23-2013, 05:47 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
Sorry pics right now but, i have a 4' wide X 40' long raised bed garden out back. It's nearing it's expiration now but we had a bountiful crop of cukes, maters, corn, onions, bell peppers, carrots and I have Rhubarb growing as well even though it's a spring time plant.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:55 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by tseekins
Sorry pics right now but, i have a 4' wide X 40' long raised bed garden out back. It's nearing it's expiration now but we had a bountiful crop of cukes, maters, corn, onions, bell peppers, carrots and I have Rhubarb growing as well even though it's a spring time plant.
Sounds noice!

Old 07-23-2013, 06:05 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

There always seems to be some 'volunteers' from the compost pile.
Had pumpkins cross pollinated with zucchini one year. LOL!

There is not much room for squash and melons, and I can only eat one at a time.
It makes more sense for me to buy them -in season- and use what little space I have for more productive and compact crops.

The name comes from a CT Chapter GTG where we all 'adopted' our "stripper names" found on some website by entering your real name and age.
A few other CT members have them in their sigs too.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:59 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I tend to forage in the garden more than I bring in LOL that's why my wife wont let me on that side of the house, I built three planters 4'x14'x24'' high makes it easy to pluck weeds ,and it keeps the Golphers OUT,with a drip system on all plants, there's Bell peppers, Early girl tomatos, cherry tomato, 2 diff kinds of squish, zukini, Jalapino, swiss chard, radish, now she wants me to build 2 more yes dear

Old 07-23-2013, 04:02 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OH yea I put heavy 1/2 x1/2 wire down first so the stinking Golphers don't forage too

Old 06-07-2014, 03:26 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Thumbs up This year's (2014) edition is doing much better

BUMP instead of starting another thread.

I normally plant seeds starting the second week of March and sets on the final week of March or first week of April.

We had the freeze/frost in mid April and I had to start all over with the exception of strawberries one tomato plant and one pepper. Replanted the week after Easter and already had my first salad last Sunday.

Second harvest of tomatoes

Rhubard will be ready next year

Second harvest of lettuce

First tassle on the corn

Blackberries will be ready in a two - three weeks

Blackberries

Tomatoes

Cucumbers in a week or so

So much better than last year when we had too much rain.

Old 06-07-2014, 03:41 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Everything is so slow up here.
The strawberries are about done.
Peas and beans are climbing like crazy.
Lettuce and spinach are ready.
Tomatoes, peppers, and beets seem way behind.

These sunny 80+ days should push them along.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:48 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Spring was so weird here my garden's only been planted a few weeks. 35x40' in the ground garden, in the same spot for a second year. It's getting better, last fall I tilled in three inches of maple and alder chips to make up for a lack of organics, and all last year I was turning in lawn clippings. I already turned in one 2" layer of lawn clippings this spring to help with nitrogen, and one spin down between the rows too, getting ready to do another one now. I did build a neat sprinkler rig to help water it this year instead of the old system. Really basic, just a pair of sprinkler heads, PVC pipe, and some fittings and now no more manual watering or moving the single sprinkler head around.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:53 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Thumbs up Blackberry cobbler

Summer is here blackberries and a cobbler.

4.5 cups in 24 minutes in my backyard yummy cobbler for lunch.

Quick Reply: Any of you guys tend vegetable gardens?