Oklahoma Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Recent project at work

Old 07-21-2013, 12:26 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Recent project at work

Not exactly Ford Truck related, but.......

This past week I tackled a pretty decent job at the shop. Rewired a 69 Camaro SS bumper to bumper. The car had spent a few years as a drag car, and the original wiring was butchered up pretty badly. It is getting returned to a street car, resto-mod style.

Started with a kit from American Auto Wire specifically designed for a 69 Camaro, but in their "Classic Update" series. This kit is intended to be used on cars that are not original, but "Modified". It has extra circuits that can be added for modern options that are commonly installed in older cars.
Aside from the main dash harness and fuse panel (extra fuse slots and designed for blade type fuses) being prewired, everything has to built to suit the specific needs of each car.
The front/rear light harnesses, engine harness, and cluster portion have the plugs in place where they meet the dash harness or fuse panel, but the rest is build as you go with OEM style connectors and terminals.
Spent 1/2 a day getting the old harness out, which required stripping the dash down to the metal, and the next 2 1/2 days installing and building the new harness along with putting the dash back together.

Between the wiring, and a few other "minor" items also done on the car, such as straightening out the wiper linkage and installing wiper motor, and sealing a couple trans leaks, I had just shy of 30 hrs invested.

A couple pics of the mess after getting it all out:

Old 07-21-2013, 10:50 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Looks like that would be a big job for me as getting into some of those places couldn't have been easy. May have to pick your brain on the dash - neighbor has a 69 RS/SS that doesn't blow A/C out of the outside vents. I'm not sure where to start taking it apart.

Anyway, those are cool cars and I'm glad you got it sorted out.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:17 AM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Looks like that would be a big job for me as getting into some of those places couldn't have been easy. May have to pick your brain on the dash - neighbor has a 69 RS/SS that doesn't blow A/C out of the outside vents. I'm not sure where to start taking it apart.

Anyway, those are cool cars and I'm glad you got it sorted out.
I dunno about factory A/C cars, but the non-A/C cars have those same vents on each side of the dash, and they are for fresh air. See if there are 2 levers on the kick panels, 1 for the floor vent, and 1 for the dash.....

The dash disassembly/reassembly was made a bit easier, due to no glove box or heater. Not even a radio, yet......

Old 07-22-2013, 07:53 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I don't know if it was factory A/C or not, but I'll sure look for the levers. Thanks!

He paid big bucks for it, although he hasn't told me how many, so I'm cautious as to how to approach things. We've already charged the A/C, replaced the belt to the compressor as it was too long, and had the alternator rebuilt. He's never, ever turned a wrench before, and his wife told him to keep his hands in his pockets and let me do the work. Fortunately he didn't heed her instructions and is doing most of it with my guidance. In fact, he installed the alternator when it came back w/o even calling me over, so he's learning quickly. As I think about it, I'm going to invite him to the GTG.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:40 AM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice work. That sounds like a long tedious job. Very nice lookin car. That would be fun to cruise around in.