Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-21-2013, 12:24 AM
Senior User

jakegaisser is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question Help oil pressure gauge not working, new to me truck, 1993 F250 4x4 extended cab automatic

I have read through countless posts on here about the oil pressure gauge.

I understand that it is basically a glorified idiot light, and will work if there is atleast 7 lbs of pressure.

I also read you can convert it to a regular gauge, which I will do at some point: Ford Oil Pressure Gauge Fix

I just bought this truck, and it has not showed oil pressure since I bought it (few days ago), I towed it home and have not started it since previewing it and seen that it has no oil pressure on the gauge.

They claim that the gauge quit working 4 months ago and they have been driving it since... but I'de rather be safe than sorry, truck does sound pretty good, and starts right up easily.

Most people say to install an aftermarket gauge, since these trucks idle around 8-10 PSI pressure I want to get a gauge that has the numbers spaced out so that its easier to tell what its reading... if that makes since. EDIT: (just found out its called a wide or full sweep gauge, not a short sweep)

I dont really see any recommended kits... I know that I want to use a sender... dont want to run the risk of an oil leak at an extra spot and dont want an oil line running into the cab.

If anyone has any recommendations for a good gauge kit let me know.

I am wondering... if I hookup the gauge and still have no pressure.... what all could it be?

so far I can only think of two things... oil pump or clogged pickup screen.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:04 AM
Senior User

After a bit of searching this is the gauge I am thinking of getting: Digital Oil Pressure Gauge ProSport EVO Series Blue Red | eBay

anyone tried one of these? are they ok? the brand at the bottom says prosport, never heard of them...

hmmm looking at it again... it would be better if the range was 0 to 100 instead of 0 to 150....

EDIT: found one that goes to 100 max... would give a more clear reading I think: http://www.ebay.com/itm/370646362050
Old 07-21-2013, 01:34 AM
Elder User

Macrobb is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I've got one of these:
Seems to work decently, though it's "danger light" comes on at 18PSI, and my truck runs 12 PSI at warm idle.
Probably not accurate to the PSI(especially not if you've got grounding issues, as these are one-wire senders), but definitely responsive enough and a good relative measure anyway.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:38 AM
Senior User

I seen those on there too and was wondering when that danger light would come on, thank you.

Interesting, I wonder how that danger light works... if its just a resistor or something you might be able to solder in a different size one and make the danger light come on at like 8psi instead.

EDIT: I am just very eager to find out if there is an oil pressure issue on this truck or not. Cannot wait to start driving it.

I went to pick a part today and replaced the broken out wing window, and then I bought a new power window motor for the drivers side and got all of that done.

I should have mentioned! This truck has a bad oil leak, I am going to start with the valve cover gaskets and then clean the motor up and go from there...

The craigslist ad said that it goes through about 1 gallon of oil per month, they would just check it and add to it daily... The other issues is that it will drain both batteries dead within 2 days if you dont unhook them, and the wing and window were screwed up on drivers side which I fixed today.

So really once I figure out if my oil pressure is ok and take care of the drain on the batteries, I will be good to go!
Old 07-21-2013, 03:49 PM
Senior User

Tom D is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had same oil pressure problem. I replaced the sending unit 3 times in 5 years. (always the same thing) I also converted the factory gauge to direct reading (as you mentioned doing) I got tired of glancing at my dash and seeing 0 PSI while I am ripping down the highway at 70 MPH (tough on the heart) so I added a direct reading gauge (oil to the gauge). It gives me great peace of mind to see 40 PSI when the crappy factory one is reading low.
Tom D
Old 07-21-2013, 06:32 PM
i ain't rite

tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
the second gauge you listed looks like a decent unit. i have no experience with it, but i would buy one if i needed an oil pressure gauge.

as for the dead batteries in 2 days if not unhooked, hook up the batteries and feel the alternator after 2or 3 hours. if it is hot, it has a bad diode in it and is what is killing the batteries.
there are other tests, but that is a good first test.
and give the shirt off his back to a friend.
Steve Price was that kind of person.
Godspeed "window licker", the short bus will never be the same with you gone.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:34 PM
Elder User

86f250XLT-4x4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I feel good with my aftermarket gauge... Want an electric though!... Fear of oil spray is pretty bad!... As for your battery drain it could be the alternator(I think diodes) can't remember the exact part in the alternator but been told that can drain your battery when it goes bad... Easy way to test it is a multimeter, disconnect the wire from the terminal on the alternator and see if its drawing power or not, other than that only thing I can say is hook up a test light to the pos. terminal of the battery with the cable disconnected and hook it to the cable that you disconnected and start pulling fuses till the light goes out
Old 07-22-2013, 12:48 AM
Senior User

SEH43 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Tom
Dumb question, but where is the oil sending unit located on a 6.9 or 7.3?
I also show low oil press at highway speed. I have a mechanical gauge so can at least check to see what it really is.

Thanks
Steve
Old 07-22-2013, 07:06 AM
Post Fiend

bashby has a great reputation on FTE.bashby has a great reputation on FTE.bashby has a great reputation on FTE.bashby has a great reputation on FTE.bashby has a great reputation on FTE.

This is a van so you are looking at the rear of the engine. You can see the sending unit on the top rear of the engine, just to the passenger side of center.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:57 AM
Senior User

Thanks for the pic. I planto tee that so I will have the original plus a mechanical gauge. Best of both worlds

Steve
Old 07-22-2013, 01:07 PM
Postmaster

madpogue has a very good reputation on FTE.madpogue has a very good reputation on FTE.madpogue has a very good reputation on FTE.madpogue has a very good reputation on FTE.
I had a mechanical oil gauge in a Dodge Omni once. The oil tube leaked INSIDE the car. Not a good day....
Old 07-22-2013, 03:29 PM
Senior User

I am going to Tee my gauge as well, I ordered the MaxTow gauge, and I also got a Sender for a 1987 F250 6.9L for a gauge, this sender is a REAL sender and if you do the dash cluster mod it will make your stock sender needle actually move according to your PSI oil pressure
Old 07-22-2013, 04:23 PM
Senior User

Tom D is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEH43 View Post
Tom
Dumb question, but where is the oil sending unit located on a 6.9 or 7.3?
I also show low oil press at highway speed. I have a mechanical gauge so can at least check to see what it really is.

Thanks
Steve
Bashby did a great jof of answering your question. My 7.3 has a Banks turbo on it so the sending unit has been moved. I put a tee on mine and hooked the factory sending unit back up as well as running the oil pressure line from the new gauge to it.

Tom
Old 07-22-2013, 05:16 PM
Senior User

Bashby's pic almost makes me wish I had a van, just for accessibility.

Steve
Old 07-22-2013, 05:51 PM
Post Fiend

bashby has a great reputation on FTE.bashby has a great reputation on FTE.bashby has a great reputation on FTE.bashby has a great reputation on FTE.bashby has a great reputation on FTE.
Not my pic, just one I found through google. Credit Dave Spounagle for that one!
Old 07-22-2013, 05:51 PM