Service Manuals

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 09:51 PM
wa2vkh
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Service Manuals

Anyone know where I can get a cd, or downloadable service manual for my 74 F150, 460 ci. Disabled Vet, fixed income, don't wanna spend too much.
Thanks,
Dave

Old 07-23-2013, 09:32 PM
BigBlockFoodTruck
New User
Originally Posted by wa2vkh
Anyone know where I can get a cd, or downloadable service manual for my 74 F150, 460 ci. Disabled Vet, fixed income, don't wanna spend too much.
Thanks,
Dave

Nope, but if you find one, please share. I've been looking for a service manual for my '78 E350 460ci for a little while now.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:34 PM
wa2vkh
New User
Manual

Eurika! Found a Haynes Book, 36054, at Advanced Auto Parts, here in Milford, PA. Covers 73 to 79 2WD and 4WD, Ford Pick Ups and Bronco. Six cyl, and V8's, including my 460 ci. F100 - F-350. With my Vet discount, it was 20 bux. Worth it's weight in gold. There is a motor head God after all LOL.

Regards,
Dave

Old 07-24-2013, 06:38 PM
wa2vkh
New User
What scam is this? Download your manual??? Produtools.com AdChoices??? No thanks.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:41 PM
V10man
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If that Haynes is the same as mine it is very generic and wont help all that much. For example my book says removing the heater core is too complicated so they didn't cover it. WTF? Chiltons isn't that much better. Amazon or craigslist is cheaper. I was under the impression you wanted FORD factory manuals.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:59 PM
wa2vkh
New User
Manuals

Yes, I do want factory manuals, but, guess beggars can't be choosers. The Haynes is much better than what I had, which was nothing!!! At least I can get some kind of Idea. Firing order, etc. etc. Now I know where number 1 cylinder is, timing specs, etc. Never spoke Ford before, now I am one LOL
Dave

Old 07-24-2013, 10:07 PM
dustyroad
Fleet Mechanic
Received 209 Likes on 158 Posts
I just snagged a haynes off fleabay shipped for 12$ hasn't made it here yet but it is supposed to be in good shape.
I have been thinking of buying this as well
1967-79 Ford Full Size Truck/Bronco Manuals Cd
shop manuals but I'm not sure if those are factory shop manuals or just more haynes/chilton on a cd..
Plus I like books vs looking at the screen when working on things.
Not very practical putting a monitor in an engine bay. But I might put my antique laptop to the task for that..

Old 07-25-2013, 10:58 AM
orangeford
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
The factory manuals were published for different areas. For example I have two different manuals one covers body, electrical and suspension drivetrain related. the other is just engine stuff. The manuals apply to a specific year and whether or not its a light truck on the body, electrical drivetrain book.

Make sure the CD has what you need in it before buying.

As for actual engine rebuilding info I suggest the Tom Monroe book about rebuilding 429 460 351m 400 and 351c engines. It is well detailed on how to perform rebuilding tasks more so than the ford book.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:23 AM
wa2vkh
New User
Originally Posted by dustyroad
I just snagged a haynes off fleabay shipped for 12$ hasn't made it here yet but it is supposed to be in good shape.
I have been thinking of buying this as well
1967-79 Ford Full Size Truck/Bronco Manuals Cd
shop manuals but I'm not sure if those are factory shop manuals or just more haynes/chilton on a cd..
Plus I like books vs looking at the screen when working on things.
Not very practical putting a monitor in an engine bay. But I might put my antique laptop to the task for that..
dustyroad,
Have you purchased this set of 5 cd/manuals? Guess 35 bux ain't too bad. Appears to be the ford service manuals, whatcha think? I only have the Haynes book, not to in depth. Want to install a Comp cam, lifters and push rods, etc. Need all the service info I can get. Been a Chevy man most of my adult life, but fell in love with this 460, 74 F100, must learn to speak Ford LOL.
Thanks for the link to the manuals.
Dave 65 year old motor head and biker.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:02 PM
dustyroad
Fleet Mechanic
Dave
I have not purchased the 5 cd set yet. I think they are service manuals some of the sellers feedback doesn't show anything negative about them.
I just picked up a chiltons on fleabay as well since my last post so I'm going to go with the books for now.
I just picked up a 79 f150 with a 460 as well, first ford ever besides a garden tractor I owned. My dad was a diehard ribbon man. So learning the new language and dealing with the ribbing here myself.
One thing about the cds is you can probably print the pages out you need and not worry about beating a book up or needing something to view the cds outside.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:49 AM
wa2vkh
New User
Originally Posted by dustyroad
Dave
I have not purchased the 5 cd set yet. I think they are service manuals some of the sellers feedback doesn't show anything negative about them.
I just picked up a chiltons on fleabay as well since my last post so I'm going to go with the books for now.
I just picked up a 79 f150 with a 460 as well, first ford ever besides a garden tractor I owned. My dad was a diehard ribbon man. So learning the new language and dealing with the ribbing here myself.
One thing about the cds is you can probably print the pages out you need and not worry about beating a book up or needing something to view the cds outside.
My googlefu is rather weak also, LOL. I ordered the 5 cd set from the web site you posted. I have a Brother laser printer, that will print 26 pages per minute, so if I need to print anything out, I'll not have an issue. I figured 35 bux ain't too bad to have all the Ford repair manuals at my finger tips. I use an old lap top here in the garage and don't care if I get grease all over it LOL. Friend of mine had a bunch of hot rod parts for the 460, so I'm going to put in a Comp cam, lifters and light push rods in this 460. I need it to lope at idle, love the rough rumble idle of a cammed engine. Intake is an Edelbrock and I think the carb is either a 650 or 750 Holley. Also got the Ford solid state distributor for it, gonna get rid of the point system and the big load resistor on it. Recently put new rotors, calipers, rear drums and shoes on "Spike", the 74 F100. Ihave an issue with the proportional valve on the master cylinder. Apparently, it is popped and not allowing fluid to the rear brakes. Got the truck with the right rear brake line missing. Installed new line, but can't bleed the brakes. Gonna have to figure out how to reset the proportional valve. The Haynes says to just center it and try. I'll get er done, one way or another LOL. Good luck with your big block. Having fun with mine. Even learning how to speak Ford LOL. I'll give you an update on how the cam lifter push rod and distributor brake job goes LOL. Next week, Winshields to Go are putting in a new windshield for me. 200 bux seems like a good price for them to come here and do it for me. Never done a windshield before, so best to leave it to the pro's. Don't want any leaks LOL. Need to replace all the rubbers/scrapers on the door windows, dry rotted. Any suggestions where to get the replacement stuff??

Regards,
Dave

Old 07-29-2013, 02:11 PM
dustyroad
Fleet Mechanic
Dave,
I haven't looked for any rubber for my 79 yet but I recall seeing broncograveyard carrying some. Dennis Carpenter is another good site to look over.
200 is well worth letting someone else install a windshield and to deal with any issues afterwards. I have to do some work around my proportion valve as well. I need to replace a line running through the frame right there.
I'll be following your progress. I'm pretty much where you are right now but moving much slower since it's just a weekend work truck and as finances allow.
I need to get a fan shroud for mine and been dragging my feet buying one hoping to find one locally but I think I'm just going to need to put the cash on the barrelhead and go with online.
Sounds like you will have a beast of a 460 when you're done.