Sponsored by:

My new Ex and a question

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 01:54 AM
irockstar661
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My new Ex and a question

Hey all. First time poster here from Southern California. Just recently purchased my first Ex and would liken to share as well as ask a question. I noticed when next to another excursion that in may be a little lifted. Such as a leveling kit or some sorts. I have a pic I'll like to post maybe someone can tell me... Here is the pic.

So was curious what size tire I can run on her without an issue. Next is a pic of current wheel setup and the ex herself.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:46 AM
DavenTn
Fleet Mechanic
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Looks stock to me.

Mine right now is stock... so measuring from flat ground to top of open wheel well;

front = 37"
rear = 39"

Old 07-20-2013, 05:58 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
looks stock to me as well in the rear. your front end does seem to ride higher though

here is a pic of my stock rear axle

Old 07-20-2013, 08:05 AM
ScaldedDog
Fleet Mechanic

Received 106 Likes on 66 Posts
In the front, how far off the bump stops are you? Post a pic, if you can, and that'll help us figure out of the front is stock height, too. The rear certainly is, as others have noted.

What size are your current tires? I run the same BFG's you have, as do lots of other folks, and 285/75 will fit if the front is stock, and fit better if you have V-code springs up front. We'll need the aforementioned photo to figure that out, though.

Mark

Old 07-20-2013, 08:13 AM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Some sit higher than ohters. My buddy's 05 sits 1.5" higher than mine and i am running 285's. everything on yours looks stock. You can run 285/75/16's withou any problems.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:05 AM
Karlsgems
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congratulations on your 'new' Ex! Welcome to the group, you are in the right place as you know!

Have to agree with the others, your rig looks stock. Is it 4x4? Give us the rundown on it ( engine, mileage, etc).

Nice to have another SoCal member on here (I'm in the OC).

Karl

Old 07-23-2013, 11:57 PM
irockstar661
New User
Hey all thanks for the welcome. The excursion is a 2000 limited edition with currently 87k on her V10 gas 6.8 engine.

Here is a pic of the front suspension (hope I got what you were asking for)

What is the typical lift you all go with? I read somewhere about 4" using F350 springs and 2 1/2 spacer up front with a 4" leaf in rear?

Old 07-24-2013, 12:14 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

most of "us" use F-250 springs front/rear and that will give you about 2" over the stock height.

it's called the V/modded B swap. search the forum here. it's pretty much the most popular suspension mod for the Excursion besides a complete aftermarket lift.

I've got about $250 in my Excursion suspension doing a version of that swap and gained 2". very worthwhile mod IMO

Old 07-24-2013, 12:16 AM
irockstar661
New User
Originally Posted by Tylus
most of "us" use F-250 springs front/rear and that will give you about 2" over the stock height.

it's called the V/modded B swap. search the forum here. it's pretty much the most popular suspension mod for the Excursion besides a complete aftermarket lift.

I've got about $250 in my Excursion suspension doing a version of that swap and gained 2". very worthwhile mod IMO
Tylus, thanks for the info. Can you see a noticeable difference from stock to 2" ? Possibly looking for something a tad higher at a budget of $400. Also can you tell from the bump stop in my picture if its standard height currently?

Old 07-24-2013, 12:22 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Tylus
search the forum here.
It's all in the tech folder thread stickied at the top of the Ex forum.

Originally Posted by irockstar661
Tylus, thanks for the info. Can you see a noticeable difference from stock to 2" ?
It's usually a hair less than 2"

Here's mine after the swap, sitting next to a stock sprung 4x4 Ex.

Stewart

Old 07-24-2013, 12:31 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

The 2" sounds small, but its very apparent once you step back. Then you're sitting there thinking "Man I need bigger tires".

Your front end looks stock to me.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:12 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 818 Likes on 566 Posts
Rockstar, welcome to the forum, we are all more than happy to help you spend your money!
I agree that your suspension looks to be stock, ya gotta love all that spring travel Ford gave us up front! NOT!
Do not ever use spacer blocks on the front! They can be dangerous and are actually illegal in many states including here in PA. Mini packs are a different story because they spread the load and roll resistance out over a longer section of the spring.
The guys above have given good advice and info on the common V/modded B swap, a good mod to cure the weak factory EX springs.
I was fortunate to have a coworker give me a low mile set of X code (snow plow prep) fronts and B code rears for my EX. Having been blessed with not only good looks and brains but also creativity (well maybe not so much on the first two.....) I took the mod a couple of steps farther. The B code rears sometimes come with an overload leaf that we can't use as the EX lacks the extra frame mounted blocks for this leaf to sit against, and this leaf if left on the spring pack can damage our rear AC lines so it has to come off. Being a waste-not-want-not kinda guy I took those overload leaves and added them to my front X codes, this increased the spring capacity and ride height as well as ride firmness. Out back to keep things moving in the same direction I did the typical B code mods that use the bottom two leaves from the stock EX pack and the thicker EX spacers. In addition to that I cut up my factory slapper bar from the EX pack and put two sections of it on each side and swapped out the stock EX blocks for the taller F-350 3.75" tapered blocks. These mods netted me 3 7/8" front and 4 1/2" rear, it looks good (to me) and the ride is a nice firm truck like experience, just like I wanted. This swap cost me about $75 in new U-bolts, a couple of afternoons and evenings and two six packs for my brother inlaw who gave me a hand handling the heavy springs.
With this much lift the EX is screaming for bigger tires, then if you tow at all the bigger tires call for a gear swap. I had all of this worked into my plans, the springs and gears are done, now I just have to wear out these tires some more and upgrade to the 35's I want.
The springs, B code on top, X code middle, modded X code bottom.

The Jolly Green Giant all stock.

After.

Good luck with your green beast!

Old 07-24-2013, 03:25 AM
JMM-MD
Senior User
Welcome - let the fun begin!

I did the V/B mod to my 2000 7.3 (love it!) and just had to do something about the tires. I went 295 BFGs and they rubbed at full turn (as did 285s). Some will say that a little rubbing is not a problem - me, it make me crazy. To get rid of the rubbing I had to change wheels and go with something with less back spacing and neg offset.

This is what I ended up with.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:37 AM
ithaca1230
Laughing Gas
hey WE3ZS I just did a V/modded B swap with winch bumpers on my X and the front has come down a bit from the weight of the winch and bumper. I have a 2" difference from front to back. Was thinking about doing something like you did and was wondering how the ride is. My truck has a 6L. Thanks

Old 07-24-2013, 08:44 AM
mgraveman
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I didn't even mod the rear springs. Just bought C code (dually) springs and the 4" block that the super duty trucks used, it all bolted on and looked just like what is above.

Quick Reply: My new Ex and a question