1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 door on a 2001

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 03:20 PM
ramsay
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 door on a 2001

Could someone confirm for me whether or not a 2008 F550 door will fit on a 2001? I think it will physically fit but am not sure about the interior door panel. Can I use the 01 panel or would I have to use the 08 panel?

Old 07-19-2013, 03:34 PM
jakgod3
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes they are the same, obviously you will have to paint to match and what not, but you will have to swap out the interior door panel which is as easy as removing two bolts and lifting it out.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:23 PM
ramsay
Senior User
Originally Posted by jakgod3
Yes they are the same, obviously you will have to paint to match and what not, but you will have to swap out the interior door panel which is as easy as removing two bolts and lifting it out.
I was told that the 01 interior panel will not fit the 2008 door....any truth to that?

Old 07-19-2013, 04:33 PM
jakgod3
Senior User
Originally Posted by ramsay
I was told that the 01 interior panel will not fit the 2008 door....any truth to that?
That I am not sure about, as far as I knew it was all plug-and-play

Old 07-19-2013, 07:22 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
The interior panels will fit however the two screw holes are in the wrong place. You can drill and tap two holes and it will fit just fine though, if its for a crew cab you could upgrade to the newer panels the rear ones mount the same the front two just need to have a few screw holes drilled and tapped.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:02 PM
ramsay
Senior User
Originally Posted by xmontex4
The interior panels will fit however the two screw holes are in the wrong place. You can drill and tap two holes and it will fit just fine though, if its for a crew cab you could upgrade to the newer panels the rear ones mount the same the front two just need to have a few screw holes drilled and tapped.
Thank-you. Reps given...This is the info I was looking for. Where are these screws that you refer to? At the bottom edge or in the arm rest? The truck is a regular cab by the way....

Old 07-19-2013, 10:11 PM
jakgod3
Senior User
Instead of me typing it out, just watch this video. It's really easy and takes only a couple minutes..

Old 07-20-2013, 07:56 AM
ramsay
Senior User
Ok. I get how to take the door panels off. My day job is auto body tech. My concern was more to do with if the hook locations on the back of the door panels were the same on the different style panels. I haven't had the opportunity to look at both styles at the same time to compare.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:09 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
The door panels on the back side are identical between all 99-13 super duties only difference is the screw hole locations. I have a set of panels for my truck and they sit right on the door no issue (i have an 04 door and I was using 09 panels) i just have to drill a few new holes for the screws. I will post up some pics give me about 20-30 min.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:06 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Door panel Comparison

OK, as you can see here is a comparison of my current 04 panel (left) and my 09 panel (right).

Close up of the 04 panel

Close up of the 09 panel, now you may notice that next to the speaker grille there is an extra hook this is nothing to worry about because there is an opening in the door already for it. you do not need to worry about this either way as you are thinking about using newer door with an older panel.

Opening for extra hook.

In the pictures above of the 09 panel you can see that there are two screw holes on the bottom of the panel and there are two more right below the handle opening on the metal bracket. The 08 door will have these, unfortunately if you were to install an older panel you would need to drill two holes and tap them for screwed. Pictured below is my door with the current screw hole locations and where (roughly) the 08 door ones will be. Red is 04 yellow is 08 sorry i know its horrible but best i could do on Photobucket lol.

Close up of the 04 hole locations.

Also as you can see here im mounting the 09 panel, the 04 handle bucket cradle thingy contacts the 09 panel so you will need one from a 99-07 truck if you do not have one already.

Here is a shot of me mounting the 09 panel on my 04 door, all the hooks line up the same.

Now, if you want to upgrade to the new door panels there are a few things to be aware of. You will need to re-pin your drivers side window switch, the passenger side is plug and play. The lock switches require a different connector that will need to be spliced on and the same goes for the power mirror switch. for you there will be no issue physically mounting it to the door however you will run into issues with clearing the 99-04 dash sides (i believe the 05-07 is the same). what i did to resolve this is i made a few relief cuts and used a heat gun, using a heat gun solely and not making a few relief cuts is highly suggested IMO i ****ed up my drivers side panel, luckily i got it cheap and will use it as a dummy to disassemble for painting and stuff. the corner of the panel is what contacts in the picture below i am pointing to where it will hit on the dash when you close the door with an un modified dash or panel.

EDIT: actually is is right behind the vent in this picture i didn't realize where i was pointing to in this picture until just now.

First cut i made was along the side shown here, i removed the lip as you can see it sticks out farther on slightly down.

Second cut was here, i cut this so that the outside of the panel fould fold back towards the door. I cut right along that "body line" to make it reletivley unseen, i am moving it by hand in this photo.

Lastly i made this cut to relieve the panel more so that the side could fold back more against the door. with the black pillar cover on this cut only sticks out maybe 1/8" at most and what i am going to do is heat it up and smooth it out or fill it with some super glue or something because it is permanently depressed. After cutting i used a heat gun and heated up the outside of the panel and pressed on the corner of the panel so that it would hold its position folded back slightly.

I have not dash contact any more with this door panel but the drivers side is boned so I didn't even really try to finish it.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:00 PM
ramsay
Senior User
That is exactly what I was looking for. Thank-you. I'd rep you again but I'm not allowed.

Old 07-04-2014, 06:15 PM
parrotparty
Freshman User
Is there any chance you still have these photos? I made a thread and then stumbled on this one (go figure search bar) but I'm looking for the same info and the pictures would be an awesome reference.