Modular V10 (6.8l)  

My V10 sea foam experience, and your thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 01:22 PM
Jmoen7
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My V10 sea foam experience, and your thoughts

So, after lots of research and looking on many forums, i decided hell with it. I went out, bought some Sea Foam Motor Treatment and Auto Tranny Tune.

I did the tranny and crankcase the first day, ran about 30km.
Did gas tank and intake second day, ran 70km.
Full oil change today with noticeable carbon chunks coming out of the oil, must have did it's job right? (let drain for a full hour till' no drips)

I noticed that after i had changed the oil, and ran sea foam in my old oil for 100k that a little tick was gone, much quieter now. Idle has changed from 750 to about 600, opposite of what usually happens, but i like the low idle. Seems to have restored some power in this motor, having 335,000 KM. I'm super pleased with what happened.

The transmission was kinda finicky at first, but now i can tell that it shifts 100% smoother, and it now down shifts on time to slow the truck down at highway speed, which is the first time i've got it to do this since i got the truck. I can feel good acceleration now through all gears, when before 3rd was kinda bogged down for some reason.

Overall my sea foam experience was 10/10, now i know lots of people will be with me, and even more will be against me. But i say sea foam works, especially on older vehicles. Safe to say it feels like a 100,000 km truck again, that's not an exaggeration.

Comment your thoughts and/or experience!

Old 07-20-2013, 09:40 AM
gfl
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've used the stuff on various rigs over the years, I have a vacuum hose setup from a chemtool kit that I use to suck the seafoam out of the bottle into the brake vacuum hose.

It allows you to somewhat regulate the flow and the motor still idles while its inhaling the seafoam.

Normally on other rigs, I'd get white smoke out of the exhaust, until it completely burns thru the half pint or so of seafoam, on my v10, that didn't happen until I took it out for a "blow the carbon out run" , when I got to about 3.5k rpm, I noticed a big cloud of white smoke pretty much all at once. Like the seafoam "pooled up" somewhere and finally went thru all at once.

Other than that oddity, I seemed to help. Truck is running as well as it ever has.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:05 AM
catzr440
Junior User
ok, so how EXACTLY do you do the seafoam treatment? Kinda wanna try it, but a lil worried I will mess something up?? Do you pour the seafoam directly into the oil, and run it?? Samething with the trans??

Old 07-21-2013, 03:07 PM
gfl
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I personally just run it thru a vacuum line to clean the intake and combustion chamber with about 1/2 to 2/3 of a can, the rest in the gas tank.

I try to change my oil regularly to keep the sludge in the crankcase to a minimum, same with the tranny, so i'll leave that advice to someone who's done it.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:30 PM
brads93 idi
Senior User
Would it hurt a motor with 244k miles that's probably never had this done to it ???

Old 07-23-2013, 07:00 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
With that much mileage, more power to you...

As long as you understand that one piece of crud can cause you to wind up getting a replacement engine, that's your decision ...

Old 07-23-2013, 08:51 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Normally on other rigs, I'd get white smoke out of the exhaust, until it completely burns thru the half pint or so of seafoam, on my v10, that didn't happen until I took it out for a "blow the carbon out run" , when I got to about 3.5k rpm, I noticed a big cloud of white smoke pretty much all at once. Like the seafoam "pooled up" somewhere and finally went thru all at once.
That is because most of the Seafoam ended up in the oil and in the catalyst.

Most of what you get with Seafoam is the placebo effect. People think the smoke means something good, which it doesn't.

Take apart a high mileage engine sometime with a lot of carbon buildup. You literally have to scrape the carbon off. Flooding the engine for a minute of two with pale oil won't do diddly squat for it.

Run a fuel injecter/system cleaner like Chevron with Techron every now and then along with regular maint and you will be far better off.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:45 AM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Krewat
With that much mileage, more power to you...

As long as you understand that one piece of crud can cause you to wind up getting a replacement engine, that's your decision ...
This is very good advice and so was dkf post.

What I have found that works the best to get carbon out is hook your truck up to a heavy trailer or just put a heavy load in the back and take it for a good long run down the road maybe 100 miles on way. The hard pull will take a lot of the carbon out slowly and not all at once, keeping your engine up to temp and holding it there will do wonders.

Denny

Old 08-04-2013, 11:48 AM
Jmoen7
Elder User
It's hit and miss really, with what bad can actually happen to the motor, i had a scare where as i was almost getting piston slap from obvious carbon inside the motor
I just said hell with it, old toy truck really so i rode it hard and everything cleared up just fine.

I agree with DKF, although i didn't have barely any white smoke with no cats
Yes the smoke means nothing, other than well, smoke. BUT, seafoam did work for me, and has for others. To each his own.
Most high mileage engines "IF NOT MAINTAINED WELL" will have such thick build up, nothing will get that stuff out unless you take it apart and scrape it. Although, if you did regular changes, you're engine should look new on the inside.

@GFL if you haven't already done the treatment, my steps to doing the treatment were as follows.

1 Can Motor treatment, 1 Can Auto Trans Tune.

MOTOR TREATMENT: Pour 1/3 can into oil (crankcase), 1/3 can into gas tank and then suck up 1/3 can into vacuum hose (i used my brake booster line)
AUTO TRANS: Pour full can into transmission

DO NOT pour any sea foam in the vacuum lines WITHOUT the engine running.
I highly suggest you use a narrow vacuum hose, or find a smaller piece to use inside of the brake booster line to stop the high amount of suction.

After you have done all 3, drive it like you stole it pretty much, it will burn it all out.
Best to do 100-200km before an oil change, it says you don't need to change the oil, but who wants to leave broken carbon chunks in your oil? Not this guy.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:40 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Cold startup in colder temps I get some piston slap. Hypereutectic pistons, short skirt pistons and a long stroke tends to yield some piston slap. My dads does the same thing. I have close to 63k miles dads has probably close to 115k by now.