Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Mid-Atlantic Region > New York Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

New York Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: tiny1

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-19-2013, 12:01 PM
New User

SouthCairoGBRN is starting off with a positive reputation.
1993 Ford F150 XL ISSUES

I apologize for not having logged in and/or participated in this sites forums. My truck has been off the road for 2 weeks due to "shifting problems" and I've been asking friends to help assist in diagnosing the problems and what I got from all of them were different answers...and as I allowed them to conclude...I then explained to them (again) what I've been experiencing personally when operating the vehicle while adding my 2cents as to what it could be (based upon what the Haynes Repair Manual "Troubleshooting" contents provided...never letting on that this is where my 2 cents was coming from). In the end I would produce the manual, my internet research material, as the printed out specs provided to me courtesy of the "R. C. Lacy Ford Lincoln Mercury Subaru, 25 Maple Ave, Catskill, NY 12414". After doing so, everyone seemed to come to the same conclusion "oh, then your transmission is shot...you need a new one."
Now, I personally do not believe that it is necessary to rip my transmission out and install another one, (prices ranging from $600 to $800 with a warrantee...and give them my old one (obviously so it could be rebuilt and placed on the market to someone else).
When I suggested that I should just drop & rebuild my own transmission with help from them I ALWAYS got the same answer..."oh you don't want do that cause you're not going to be able to rebuild it"...OR..."Based upon my experience, you'd be better off just getting another one."
The question I have is...why take out my transmission as part of the trade off for a purchased REBUILT transmission without really seeing for myself & understanding what cause me to have these problems in the first place...by dropping my own transmission and attempting to correctly diagnose/repair the problem (if I can) by using the manual I purchased & all of the specs/instructions provided during my internet research? The idea is for ME to learn how to rebuild/restore this vehicle utilizing what little "backyard mechanic" knowledge I have as well the Haynes Repair Manual. I got so frustrated that I actually forgot that I joined this site because THERE ARE people on hear that know that they are talking about and would be willing to provided knowledge...if asked. I was advised to purchase the Repair Manual by a member of this site in the first place (Thanks).
I would like to end by stating that I AM going to (by myself) use the manual and research info to drop my own transmission in order to diagnose the problem...which is that my clutch pedal has started sticking to the floor while also not allowing me to shift gears.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:01 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Mid-Atlantic Region > New York Chapter